Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 8, 2009, 3:09 PM   #1

Default OK, I bought the Pentax KX Stormtrooper!

Thanks to all the pros on here for their expertise. I should be receiving it tomorrow and I am so excited.

I have used P&S's but now that I have my Pentax KX Stormtrooper edition (white), how do I learn to use it? I have absolutely no idea. I have looked into photography classes locally but have not found any that are close. Is this something that I can pick up on my own by just playing with it?

Is there a DSLR's for DUmmies book that you all would recommend???
kristinmcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 8, 2009, 3:20 PM   #2

kristin-

Congratulations on your Pentax Kx purchase. It is a great camera and I am sure you will enjoy it a lot. Please tell us a bit more about your point and shoot experience. If you were a fully automatic, all the time shooter versus a shooter who took advantage of a lot of features on your P&S camera, that could make a sizable difference in where you should begin. So plerase let us know. Thanks.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2009, 3:27 PM   #3

I have used a Casio Exilim as well as a Sony Cybershot and tend to just stick to the fully automatic settings (like kids), but I have ventured into the fireworks/night as well. I guess I need to just start with as basic as it gets and then go from there. What books are recommended for newbies??

I am sure this is in the wrong section, so feel free to move the post if needed.

Thanks, Sarah! You are always so helpful.
Old Nov 8, 2009, 3:44 PM   #4

Kristin-

Please don't fall victim to using the fully Auto mode on the Kx, The "P" for Programed Auto with Auto ISO works much better. Personally, I would recommend that you initially just focus on basic photography principles.

Please don't get impatient! Just realize that we all learn by doing. So think out/plan your photos as much as possible and build your experience by taking lots of photos with the goal to make the next photo measurably better than the last photo.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2009, 3:44 PM   #5

When I bought my first DSLR, a Nikon D50, I made some coffee, put my battery on the charger, and started on page one of the owners manual. It will help immensely. Get familiar with buttons and functions. F stops and shutter speeds, and ISO. Then, when your battery is ready, you will have read at least the "getting started" section..

Oh, and congratulations, you're gonna love it..

Robert
Hawgwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2009, 3:45 PM   #6
Super Moderator

congratulations. the stormtrooper model is actually quite appealing, saw one at the local shop the other day.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2009, 4:16 PM   #7

Robert, I totally plan on doing this! I am a total nerd when it comes to reading the manual - i.e. I am the exact opposite of my husband.
Old Nov 8, 2009, 6:20 PM   #8

Congratulations on your purchase. You have an excellent camera. The advice provided has been great.

As with many of us and other posters have said, you may experience some moments of frustration....but check the owner's manual and if you can't find the answer here, post your query in this Pentax forum.

My experience that the answers come quick.

I carry my owner's manual for both my Pentax K10D and KM in the front pocket of my camera case...always there for ready access. I have a different case for each camera body, but that's just me.

One thing you may want to consider is getting a camera case. You may want to buy one that will take more than just your camera. I think you will find that as you grow in knowledge and experience with your KX you could well want to add different lenses, flash, other accessories.

You mentioned fireworks. I tried my KM on the 'fireworks' setting at the last Canada Day. The camera was on a tripod and I have to say I was quite impressed with the pix quality of the night time fireworks.

As Sarah has said you can go either on automatic or learn how to use the many settings.

I agree with Sarah in that you don't just want to leave it on auto all the time. The KX has much to offer when you get to know the different settings.

But also as Sarah says...you want to concentrate on basic photography at the beginning.

As Hawgwild says...sitting down at home with coffee, camera and manual is a good way to learn.

I follow the same practice with a new camera. I would read about each individual setting/control....switch the camera to that control and try it out. If you're like me, you will probably need to go through the process a number of times before it becomes second nature.

I believe you will derive lot's of pleasure form the KX. From what I've read it's quite a camera.

Les

Last edited by lesmore49; Nov 8, 2009 at 6:25 PM.
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2009, 6:34 PM   #9

Thanks for the advice! I bought the 18-55 kit from Adorama that had a nice bag, 8G memory, NiMH batteries & charger, card reader, cleaning kit and extra filter kit all for under $700.00 including shipping. I think it will be hard to beat (until Black Friday!) LOL.
Old Nov 8, 2009, 6:58 PM   #10

"Stormtrooper"

What a rip-off. The original white dSLR was the Minolta Alpha 8700i, which actually flew in space aboard the space station Mir.

Has anybody seen a Pentax Kx in space?
TCav is online now   Reply With Quote