Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 9, 2009, 12:54 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by upsidedown View Post
Thanks for all the comments. When I thought about a DSLR last year I looked at Canon, Nikon, and Sony and at that time I prefered the Canon. I also have a G9 now so I have some familiarity with the menus.

As I said price is a factor and the T1i is substantially less with the 2 lens outfit when factoring in various rebates.
If the T1i ergonomics are agreeable to you and you're happy with the price then I think you have your decision.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2009, 12:57 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesmore49 View Post
You would think that more pixels = better, wouldn't you ? I did till I saw the results from a friend's Canon 30D with a measly 8.2 MP's.

Now I'm not so sure.
There are lots of variables that affect image quality. But all other things being equal, I'll take more pixels over fewer pixels.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2009, 12:59 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesmore49 View Post
You would think that more pixels = better, wouldn't you ?
I wouldn't. It's been proven that in many many cases, more MP actually degrades the image, particularly in terms of sharpness. More MP will allow you to print larger size prints w/o loosing too much resolution but if you are not going to print beyond 8x10, then a 12 MP camera has more than enough MP.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2009, 1:05 PM   #14
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by upsidedown View Post
Thanks for all the comments. When I thought about a DSLR last year I looked at Canon, Nikon, and Sony and at that time I prefered the Canon. I also have a G9 now so I have some familiarity with the menus.

As I said price is a factor and the T1i is substantially less with the 2 lens outfit when factoring in various rebates.
well the Canon kit should do you well if you prefer the ergonomics and the menu system will feel familiar. also, if you have shot any RAW with your G9 you can use the same software (newer version) that you are used to.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2009, 1:32 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
There are lots of variables that affect image quality. But all other things being equal, I'll take more pixels over fewer pixels.
In this world of ours "..all other things being equal.." is not such an easy thing to compare in competitive products.

Last edited by lesmore49; Nov 9, 2009 at 1:36 PM.
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2009, 1:35 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tullio View Post
I wouldn't. It's been proven that in many many cases, more MP actually degrades the image, particularly in terms of sharpness. More MP will allow you to print larger size prints w/o loosing too much resolution but if you are not going to print beyond 8x10, then a 12 MP camera has more than enough MP.
I find it interesting that Canon has cut the MP count of their excellent G series camera. The G10 had a 14 something sensor, the G11 which succeeded it has a 12 something sensor.

It is interesting to speculate why.
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2009, 1:51 PM   #17
Super Moderator

they did it to increase their high-iso capabilities. they left the g10 model in the lineup for those that do not need high-iso capabilities and want more resolution.
Old Nov 9, 2009, 2:12 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tullio View Post
... It's been proven that in many many cases, more MP actually degrades the image, particularly in terms of sharpness. ...
Perhaps you could provide us with a link or two.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2009, 7:19 PM   #19

Upsidedown,

I have the T1I, it is a great camera, you do get IS but it is at a price. The kit lens are ok, but if you move up to the higher quality EF or EF-S lenes with IS, they are very expensive. My EF-28-135mm and EF-70-300mm cost as much as the 2 kit lens packages with the rebate. So going with the canon with IS is an expensive route.

My brother is looking into moving up to a dslr, and I recommended to him to look at the Pentax k-x. It is very well built and it seem to be a more solid unit then say a nikon d5000. The pentax is pack with feature, that I would normally have to edit using my make, the monochome picture with color and the hdr. Since he does not want to spend the time or the money for a good photo program, the pentax k-x give a lot for the price. From what I have seen and heard from friends, the pentax kit lens seems to be better then the canon ef-s 18-55m, and you can get the kit with two lenses, 18-55 and 70-300, and you have a hell of a crop zoom factor form 28-400+mm, pretty good reach. To get that with the canon you need the EF 70-300mm with online price is 550.

The AA battery issue seems to be resolve with the firmware update. And the K-X with sanyo eneloop batteries, you can take close to 1000 pics on one charge.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2009, 7:34 PM   #20
Super Moderator

just to clarify, the canon 18-55 IS kit is probably one of the sharper kit lenses made, its a bit sharper than the pentax kit, though the pentax kit lens does have a better build. to be perfectly honest, the 18-55 IS kit lens is sharper than the 28-135, at least my 18-55 is is sharper than my 28-135, of course the build quality is not the same, etc. and the 55-250 IS is a very sharp and contrasty telephoto lens for the price. so saying you have to pay a fortune for good IS lenses for canon (same goes for nikon) is really misleading.

comparative lenses for some of the other manufacturers, especially primes, are usually a bit higher when compared to canon and nikon. but of course you do have IS in body with the sony's, pentax's, and many oly's.

so really, its bit oversimplified to say not having IS in body makes owning canon or nikon a bigger investment, because its simply not true.

at this point the "value" and i use this to mean what you get for what you pay, is pretty decent across the board. pick the model and brand that fits your needs best, fits best in your hand, has the features you desire, fits the lenses you already own. base it on those criterion, not some made up "value"