Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 8, 2009, 9:29 PM   #1

Default Pentax k-x or Canon T1i 500D

Ready for my first DSLR and I am between these two models. My background:

• Currently own Canon G9, and ready to move up to a camera with less shutter lag. Have previously owned multiple P&S digital cameras.
  • Also sitting in closet I Have Nikon N80 with Tamron 18-200 lens, Canon FTb with 50mm f1.8 and 135mm lens.
  • Also have old Pentax Film camera with 50mm lens.
  • I used to develop my own film and understand how a camera operates.

Now that I am older I value high quality images but also convenience. I don't expect to accumulate a large variety of glass. I probably will end up with a Superzoom lens, or a 2 lens combo that covers most of the spectrum.

I like these two cameras because of size, and would lean towards the Pentax except I am really turned off by the AA batteries. The T1i hi res LCD is a plus, offset by not having in body IS.

I realize there are many choices and most of these cameras (Sony, Nikon, Olympus, etc) are more similar than different.

Also, leaning me to the T1i are the current package deals available.

So what are the expert thoughts.
upsidedown is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 8, 2009, 9:35 PM   #2
Super Moderator

well you have narrowed it down to 2 great cameras, and really you could not go wrong with either of them.

have you had a chance to try each of them out for a few minutes at the local shop?

the lack of inbody IS is not a big deal for the canon, as you can get the kit with the 18-55 IS and the 55-250 IS pretty cheap, and will cover a long focal range and do it quite nicely for the money.

i would really leave it up to which one has the ergonomics and button/menu layout that feels most natural, if you can get a chance to try them.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2009, 9:38 PM   #3

While the T1i doesn't have image stabilization in the camera body, it comes with a very good 18-55 lens that's stabilized, and Canon has a very good 55-250 lens that's also stabilized. Also, the T1i is a 15MP camera while the Pentax K-x is 12MP.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2009, 10:50 PM   #4

My experience with Pentax K10D, KM and 55-300 zoom...hope this helps.

I have the Pentax 55-300mm lens...I've been very impressed with the picture quality. Very sharp, the review I read indicates excellent sharpness even at the 300 mm top end. I have the Pentax K10D and KM...both of which have Shake Reduction ...it's great..I'm surprised how low a shutter speed I can use with this feature. I don't purposely use low shutter speeds without a tripod...but sometimes...I like the fact that Pentax has the Shake Reduction in the body...you don't have to pay extra when you buy a lens...and the in body SR also works with older Pentax lenses.

The dust reduction system has also worked well on my Pentax bodies...so far at over 2 years, 1000's of shutter actuation's and many lens changes...I have not had a need to clean the sensor on my K10D.

The KX also has HD video and a very good ISO range. I believe ISO can go to 12,800. You might want to check some pix on this forum of picture examples @ this ISO.

Both Pentax and Canon are very good cameras.

Last edited by lesmore49; Nov 8, 2009 at 10:56 PM.
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2009, 11:16 AM   #5

Based on your stated needs, it's a toss-up by camera specs. As mentioned the kit lens and subsequent zoom for Canon are going to have IS, so no real advantage either way. I also wouldn't consider the 15mp of the Canon as an advantage over the 12mp of the Pentax. I agree that you need to visit a camera shop that has both so you can compare the ergonomics. You can't judge ergonomics by what you read on the internet. You may find the feel, controls and interface of one are better suited to you than the other. I would let that drive your decision.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2009, 11:40 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
... Also, the T1i is a 15MP camera while the Pentax K-x is 12MP.
I don't believe more MP necessarily translates into better quality images. Canon just released the G11 model with 10 MP replacing the 14 MP G10. You don't see much of that but some manufacturers have already stated that 10-12 MP is plenty good enough and their new models are about 12.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2009, 12:03 PM   #7

If the OP won't be shooting at high ISO settings, then more pixels is always better.

And even if he will, more pixels isn't necessarily bad.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2009, 12:04 PM   #8

I just ordered a K-x. I have had two Pentax DSLR's and have been quite happy with them. As for the batteries, I think a lot will depend on how much you use live view and what kind of batteries you use. Pentax claims over 1,000 pictures can be taken on a single set.
robbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2009, 1:30 PM   #9

Default Ergonomics

Thanks for all the comments. When I thought about a DSLR last year I looked at Canon, Nikon, and Sony and at that time I prefered the Canon. I also have a G9 now so I have some familiarity with the menus.

As I said price is a factor and the T1i is substantially less with the 2 lens outfit when factoring in various rebates.
upsidedown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2009, 1:39 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
If the OP won't be shooting at high ISO settings, then more pixels is always better.

And even if he will, more pixels isn't necessarily bad.
You would think that more pixels = always better, wouldn't you ? I did till I saw the absolutely great results from a friend's Canon 30D DSLR with a measly 8.2 MP's.

Now I'm not so sure

Seeing his pictures I have learned that there is more to the amount of MP's in a sensor, when it comes to a camera with the capability of producing top quality pictures.

Last edited by lesmore49; Nov 9, 2009 at 2:28 PM.
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote