Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 9, 2009, 6:21 PM   #1

Default P&S or DSLR??

I have read with much interest all the threads. So very interesting. My Canon Powershot A530 has issues. When powered up, the lens extends but the cover does not fully open, and it seems to eat batteries.
My friends say get another P&S, but I don't know which way to go. The P&S would of course be smaller and more portable.
The pictures I like to take are: family occasions, candids, portrait, landscape, and vacation. I have tried to take a few bird pictures, but I can not get close enough. Maybe some sports,(my granddaughter played volleyball this year), and the one and only picture I took was in a poorly lit gym. Other sports in the future could include T-ball or soccer. Sports are not a major consideration. Functions in school gyms rate a little higher.
Not sure which P&S I would want.
Camera must have a optical viewfinder, and I like zooming in without being in someones face. On the dslr side, I have an interest in Nikon 5000, the Pentax models and now the Sony A230 has sparked my interest.
I have a Minolta XTsi film slr. It has a Sigma 28-80mm 1:3.5-5.6 macro and a Minolta AF zoom 75-300mm 1:4.5-5.6 lens(not crazy about this lens), plus a few filters and a circular polariser. Are these lenses worth considering when choosing a dslr or are they not considered good glass?
Any thoughts on this?
Oh, and by the way, I have no PP skills other than cropping and red eye removal at Wally world. I live in a rural community, so there are no cameral shops nearby.
Kate
Katydid is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 9, 2009, 6:45 PM   #2

Unfortunately, the three dSLRs you mentioned, the Nikon D5000, the Sony A230 and the Pentax entry level models, aren't very good for sports, especially indoor sports. Pentax doesn't have any large aperture medium telephotos lenses that are appropriate, Nikon has some but they don't autofocus on the D5000, and Sony's large aperture medium telephotos lenses are very expensive. And none of them have autofocus systems that are very good at sports/action/wildlife shooting anyway.

Do with that what you will.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2009, 8:42 PM   #3

Kate-

Welcome to the Forum. We're glad you dropped by.

As I read your post, the sports photos were an occasional thing kind of need. Also as you prefer to stand back some zoom is required to meet those needs. That put a heavy demand on DSLR lenses to match that need. It really all depends on where you are seated. My first thought was of the Sony A-230 DSLR camera equipped with a the Sony 55-200mm lens which can be had for well under $200.00. but that may not be sufficient zoom power.

Another option would be the Pentax Kx two lens kit that includes the Pentax 18-55mm kit lens and the Pentax 55-300mm lens. The Pentax 55-300mm lens gets very high reviews. But of course that increases your budget as well.

That makes us turn to the Point and Shoot Category to see what options might be available there. Cameras such as the Canon G-11 which has a high ISO capability, being able to easily go up to ISO 1600 or ISO 3200 while still retaining decent image quality, but it has only 5X optical zoom, which does not adequately meet your stated requirements.

Another option would be the Canon SX-10 or Panasonic FZ-35 cameras. They have lots of zoom, 20X and 18X respectively. But their ISO capabilities pretty much top out at ISO 800.

So it is really sort of a toss-up. Ideally, ignoring the sports requirement, the Canon G-11 seems like an ideal solution. A DSLR option runs the budget up in a hurry, although the Sony A-230 with the Sony 55-200mm lens might provide a marginal, possible solution, while still not plundering the budget.

So there, Kate, are the "talking points" on your camera selection issue. Please give us some direction by telling us:

(1) Is camera size a determining issue?
(2) Is budget a determining issue?
(3) How high are the Sports Photos, on your priority list?

Have a great evening.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2009, 11:21 PM   #4

Mt Climber & TCav, thanks for your replies.
1. Part of the reason I'm on the fence, I like the convenience of a P&S, but I also like the faster startup speed of dslrs.
2. I do not have a precise budget, but I'm thinking entry level in a dslr and P&S I have no particular amount in mind.
3. Sports are not a high priorty. One thread said to come up with a list of things you want or might want to shoot. Since I can't spend high dollars on a lens I might or might not use, I probably would hold off on that idea.
Kate
Old Nov 10, 2009, 6:25 AM   #5

Most of the stuff you say you want to shoot could be handled well by any of the cameras you mentioned. But sports, especially sports indoors, will require a better AF system, like the one in Canon's XSi. For functions in school gyms, AF performance is also important, but the demands on the camera are not as stringent. For that, something like Tamron's or Sigma's 70-200mm f/2.8 ($700-$800) on a camera that is capable of shooting at higher ISO settings, should be ok. The Nikon D5000, Sony A230 can go up to 3200, but the Pentax K-x can go up to 6400, which would give it an edge for what you wnat to do. Also, the D5000 and K-x are 12MP dSLRs while the A230 is only 10MP. You could use your Minolta lenses on a Sony, but the lenses you have aren't anything special unfortunately.

So, purely fromthe perspective of the specifications, of the models you mentioned, the Pentax seems like the best choice to me.

But an importnat consideration should be how the camera feels to you. If you can't comfortably hold it, if you can't find the controls when you need them, you will miss shots and you will be dissatisfied with your camera. So try them out and see which one feels best. ... keeping in mind the specs.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2009, 8:14 AM   #6
Administrator

In the Sony lineup, I'd look at the new Sony A500 for better results at higher ISO speeds. It's 12MP Sony APS-C Sensor is a bit better at higher ISO speeds compared to the 10MP sensor used in the A230. The Pentax K-x and Nikon D5000 also use Sony 12MP CMOS Sensors.

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/...6&N=4294954519

But, for low light sports, as TCav mentioned, you're going to want a brighter lens.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2009, 9:18 PM   #7

Had a meeting tonight after work, so haven't had time to look up cameras too much. Wasn't familiar with Canon G-11. Steve didn't have areview, so I looked up the G-10 instead. Also looked up the Panasonic FZ-25 instead of FZ35. I will look up reviews on the Canon SX-10 and the Sony 500 next, and the Pentax Kx. That should keep me busy for a little while.
Thanks again.
Kate
Old Nov 15, 2009, 5:29 PM   #8

Hi again, well after receiving your suggestions, I did more reading. I changed my mind several times on which camera I wanted. I finally ordered the Pentax Kx. Not understanding what all the technical stuff in the reviews, I would have probably made a wrong choice if I had done it on my own. So thank you very much for your patience when you answer questions from people like me who don't understand what it all means.
I talked with a young woman at church today, who was in a similar situation. She also, had looked at the Canon XSi and the Pentax Kx. She went with the Canon Xsi because a friend of hers has one and she saw what it could do. I decided on the Pentax because it has stablization in the camera and I decided the video might be a bonus. I will plan on getting a flash for it later.
Thanks again.
Kate
Old Nov 15, 2009, 5:43 PM   #9

Kate-

Congratulations on your Pentax Kx camera. It is a great camera and I know you will enjoy it a lot. Post some photos when you have a chance.

Have a great day.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2009, 6:14 PM   #10

Default Good choice

I got my Pentax K-X yesterday. Have taken just 11 pictures so far, but, wow, it takes very decent pictures at high ISO settings, much better than my K200d. I think you will be happy with your new camera.
robbo is offline   Reply With Quote