Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Nov 9, 2009, 9:26 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 358
Default SD940IS vs SD980IS - which one is best to buy

Hello, I have a unique situation. I have the opportunity from Canon for either camera (the 940 or 980) as a replacement to my SD880IS at no cost to me.

So, I've read Steve's reviews and I know he highly recommends the SD940 and I know he thought the SD980 was fairly good as well....which is why I'm not sure. I take 70% of my photos in doors and of my daughter whose 2 yrs old. The remaining 30% are taken outdoors usually during the day also of my daughter and of scenic pictures.

Can anyone advise me which is the best option? Size isn't important. What matters most to me is shot quality. Most of my pics are your standard 4x6 or 5x7 when printed with the odd photo neing 8x10. And, I'm not an avid photographer using the ISO but I am starting to learn. I'd say I'm a better than a beginner but not an expert.

I appreciate all feedback and opinions.

Last edited by Shutterbug74; Nov 9, 2009 at 9:27 PM. Reason: spelling
Shutterbug74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 9, 2009, 9:46 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
mtclimber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Oregon, USA
Posts: 18,143
Default

shutterbug-

Welcome to the Forum. Thanks for dropping by.

Well this one is fairly easy. I would go for the SD-980 because it has 5X optical zoom and a 3" LCD. The SD-940 only has 4X optical zoom and a 2.7" LCD screen, the balance of the specifications are the same.

Have a great evening.

Sarah Joyce (a Mom of 8!)
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2009, 8:40 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 358
Default Thank you

Sarah, thank you for your reply.

I just wasn't sure as I've read that the photo quality suffers on the Canon SD980is and that the macro feature isn't good because you can't get close enough to your subject because of the type of lens due to the 12.1 megapixel.

Has anyone used this camera?
Shutterbug74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2009, 7:46 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 358
Default Update

I decided to put in a bit of money and get the Canon G11. I hope to have it next week and start playing
Shutterbug74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2009, 7:52 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
mtclimber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Oregon, USA
Posts: 18,143
Default

shutterbug-

You made an excellent choice. The Canon G-11 is an amazing camera. I am sure you will like it a lot. Join our G-11 folder over in the Canon Point & Shoot section.

Have a great weekend.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2009, 12:48 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 358
Default

Hi Sarah,

I've already been reading all the posts I am super excited to get the camera sometime this week. I have a lot to learn but am anxious to start having some fun

Thanks for your advice.

Natalie
Shutterbug74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2009, 1:51 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
WCKSer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 2,857
Default

Thanks, Sarah!
WCKSer is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 5:31 PM.