Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 11, 2009, 10:05 AM   #11

Suresh-

Take your time. We are always here to help.

Have a great day.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2009, 4:09 AM   #12

Recently compared the Sony H20 i had with the ZS3, to consider if i should switch to an ZS3.

Overall when it comes to photos, the picture quality outdoors are similar though the Panasonic seems to work better on automatic mode than the Sony. The ZS3 being a fully auto camera has a lot more modes, while the Sony has only a few and expects you to use the Program mode to tweak.

Indoors the Sony flash is very powerful unlike the puny ZS3 flash. However the downside is that the Sony flash is to powerful for close-ups, and i had to resort to program mode (which is automode with the ability to customize) and reduce the flash intensity. When i did the indoor picture quality was SUPERB much better than the ZS3. The ZS3 flash is very weak and you really need good lighting to get decent photos indoors. The advantage though is that the ZS3 flash recycle time is very quick (4-5 secs) compared to the Sony (which is 7-11 secs).

Videos though the hype is all about the ZS3, the truth is that the panasonic zoom is not smooth, the low light video photos is miserable, and the stereo mics not providing much of a gain since they are located on the top of the camera. The sony comparatively has a very very smooth zoom and also have much better video quality indoors. The Sony also has very good auto focusing compared to the ZS3 which sometimes blurs while recording.

The next is the price The sony is cheaper, and when you add the second battery which you will need the sony becomes even more cheaper since the ZS3 does not allow you to use third party batteries, and the originals are very pricey!

So based on all this i decided to hang on to my Sony H20 and look for other options other than the ZS3. The ZR1 was also considered but after going through every review and sample pictures and youtube videos (since i could not get hold of a unit to test) i find that though it focuses faster, its picture quality is inferior to the ZS3, and the video quality is also not great.
rayaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2009, 9:42 AM   #13

Rayaz-

I own both the Sony H-20 and the Panasonic ZS1 cameras. The H-20 in my opinion is a much more versatile camera, particularly indoors with its top notch built-in flash unit.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote