Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 10, 2009, 11:22 AM   #1

Default large-pocket sized ultrazoom: zs3, zr1, sx200, others ?

hi,

thanks sarah for all the help with the a1100 is choice.

now i am moving to my next camera: an easy to carry, powerful camera in the 250 to 350 dollar range: something like the panasonic zs3(tz7) or zr1 or canon sx200 is

just between those three (and other similar cameras), i am trying to make up my mind. i would like one with the better hd video performance in addition to image quality. manual controls are not that important to me, but the ultra-zoom component and image quality with auto ON is.

much appreciated.

suresh
madzientist is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 10, 2009, 12:16 PM   #2

And I guess I should add the Sony H20 to that list, since people on this forum seem to like it a lot....

Suresh
Old Nov 10, 2009, 1:36 PM   #3
Super Moderator

as long as you don't need a real powerful flash output. The ZS3(TZ7) is a great performing compact super zoom. It arguably has better image output than the Sony or Canons. And great movie mode. However, the Sony has a better flash, if you need that.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2009, 1:53 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hards80 View Post
as long as you don't need a real powerful flash output. The ZS3(TZ7) is a great performing compact super zoom. It arguably has better image output than the Sony or Canons. And great movie mode. However, the Sony has a better flash, if you need that.
I am a bit confused. I read that Casio has a mega zoom (20x) with super fast burst (40 fps) @ 7 mp, normal @ 9.1 mp, works in dim light but has a too powerfull flash. However, ever since I began reading these "what camer should I buy", I hear Cannon, Sony and Nicon and Panny. Am I missing something?
JOEGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2009, 2:03 PM   #5
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOEGA View Post
I am a bit confused. I read that Casio has a mega zoom (20x) with super fast burst (40 fps) @ 7 mp, normal @ 9.1 mp, works in dim light but has a too powerfull flash. However, ever since I began reading these "what camer should I buy", I hear Cannon, Sony and Nicon and Panny. Am I missing something?
the Casio is only a mediocre super-zoom. its low-light performance isn't stellar and its image quality isn't up to the same as its competition.

the super-fast burst could be moderately useful for certain applications, but the focus speed isn't good enough to make it useful for any type of action.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2009, 2:53 PM   #6

suresh-

Without a doubt, the Panasonic ZS1/ZS3/ZR1/ZR3 cameras fill a unique slot in the compact zoom niche. I own a ZS1 myself and my method of coping with the very small and underpowered built-in flash units in these cameras is to use a slave flash. My choice are either the DigiSlave 3000 or Metz-28 slave flashes. I have attached a photo sample showing the Panasonic ZS1 with the Slave Flashes.

The Sony H-20 and the Canon SX-200 are a step below the Panasonic cameras. Although if you are depending on full automation and an excellent built-in flash unit, the Sony H-20 is hard to overlook.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2009, 2:55 PM   #7

suresh-

Finally here is my ZS1 pictured with the Metz-28 Flash.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Old Nov 10, 2009, 4:32 PM   #8

Thanks again, Hards80 and Sarah !!! What are the reasons one might prefer the ZR1 over the ZS3, apart from size/cuteness ?

Cheers, Suresh
Old Nov 10, 2009, 5:30 PM   #9

Suresh-

The Panasonic ZS3 is more full featured with more zoom than the ZR1. The ZR1 has 8X optical zoom, the ZS3 has 12X optical zoom. You can zoom during video clips on both cameras, but the ZR1 has a less quality video than the ZS3 camera.

Please keep in mind that neither of these Panasonic cameras have full auto and manual controls. However, the Sony H-20, the Canon SX-200 and the Kodak Z-950 have full manual and auto controls.

Sarah Joyce
Old Nov 11, 2009, 6:16 AM   #10

Great !!! Invaluable help again, Sarah. Thank you !!

I just have to figure out for myself if the full manual controls and better flash on the Sony outweigh its larger size and the overall superiority ("step above") of the ZS3.

Cheers, Suresh