Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 16, 2009, 6:14 PM   #11

If you are looking at the Nikon d5000, you should also look at the Canon T1i since they are the in same class and the newest model. Canon XSi is last year's model (replace by T1i) and is a better camera than the lower class Nikon D3000.
WCKSer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2009, 9:55 AM   #12

Make sure you go to the store and hold both camera's in your hands. Check out the menu structure and see if you like the weight and the way your eye feels looking into the viewfinder. Some like Ken Rockwell state the Canon gives sharp photos but the background area is not as clear... not sure how true this is. I went with the D5000 and could not be happier. For a beginner DSLR it's a great option. If you get more serious in a couple years and understand more about taking photos, you can always move up to another camera.
Blueberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2009, 10:17 AM   #13
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCook View Post
Backward compatibility of new camera designs with old gear is not for the faint of heart. My antique Minolta lenses will not simply spin on my shiny new Sony Alpha DSLR. So when I see posts about clinging to old lenses I start growling and kicking the dawg.
All Minolta Autofocus (a.k.a., Minolta A Mount, Maxxum, Dynax, Alpha mount) lenses will work fine on Sony dSLR models.

Minolta abandoned their manual focus MC/MD mount 24 years ago in 1985 with the launch of the Maxxum 7000, and a new line of Autofocus Lenses using a new Minolta Autofocus Lens mount (a.k.a., Minolta A, Maxxum, Dynax, Alpha mount). I've got a couple of these cameras that still work fine, bought mostly to get the lenses that came with them in package deals. Canon followed with a new EF mount a couple of years later (abandoning their older FD Mount in favor of a newer Autofocus mount). Here's a quote from an article about it:

Quote:
However, a relatively low profile Minolta rocked the entire photographic community in January 1985 with a new breed of AF camera which has a revolutionary concept that made it differed from other "mainstream industrial design" adopted by other makers. "New" because there were two major factors of which one of them has a great impact to the existing Minolta users - the Company decided to drop support for the older MC/MD mount and replaced with an fully electronic lens mount with no backward compatibility.

...But a more important element is, the Maxxum 7000 AF SLR camera was the first true system AF SLR with an body integrated AF design with a host of new AF lenses built around the camera.
Minolta Maxxum 7000 Autofocus SLR

So, if you're using something like an older manual focus camera like the Minolta SRT-101, you'd need an adapter to use manual focus MC/MD mount lenses. But, all Minolta AF lenses will work fine on a Sony dSLR without any adapter (and you'd have Autofocus and Stabilization, thanks to the in body anti-shake system).

Much of the time, you'll find more used Autofocus lenses in Minolta Autofocus Mount (a.k.a., Maxxum, Dynax, Alpha, Minolta A Mount) at popular vendors of used gear like http://www.keh.com, http://www.bhphotovideo.com and http://www.adorama.com compared to Autofocus lenses from Nikon, Canon and others. There are many lens choices available.

Here are some incomplete lists of Minolta Autofocus mount lenses from Minolta and third party manufacturers like Sigma, Tamron and others. With a Sony dSLR model, you'd have both Autofocus and Stabilization using them:

Zoom Lenses in Minolta A mount

Fixed Focal Length Lenses in Minolta A mount

Macro Lenses in Minolta A Mount
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2009, 11:27 AM   #14

Don't know what's been said, but the Pentax KX is something any beginner or more advanced photographer should look at.

Pop Photo...(December 2009) and I'm quoting say it stands out from the rest of the bargain bunch..

It has a 12.4 MP, 24 frames per second HD, ISO up to 12,800, 4,7 frames per second burst shooting and 1/6000 th of a second shutter speed.

They compare it to the Sony Alpha 380 which falls behind at 2.5 fps burst and has a top shutter speed of 1/4000th.

Also PP quotes Pentax and says that the KX gets 1900 pix from a set of 4 disposable Lithium batteries...wow...say I.

You can also get it in different colours, although this is no big deal to me.

Another plus...you can use around 24 million Pentax mount lenses on the KX...many, many that have been made in the past. Pentax has always had a good rep. for making good glass.
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2009, 11:45 AM   #15
Administrator

The new Pentax K-x looks like a nice camera if you want good results at higher ISO speeds. It's the lowest priced camera using a Sony 12MP CMOS Sensor right now (followed by the Nikon D5000 and Sony A500, which also use Sony 12MP CMOS Sensors).
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2009, 12:27 PM   #16

Thanks for all the info Jim. You nailed my case with the old SRT-101.

Kelly
KCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2009, 1:14 PM   #17

I am so in love with my canon xsi and am so glad I chose this one.
maryccc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2009, 5:15 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
The new Pentax K-x looks like a nice camera if you want good results at higher ISO speeds. It's the lowest priced camera using a Sony 12MP CMOS Sensor right now (followed by the Nikon D5000 and Sony A500, which also use Sony 12MP CMOS Sensors).

Jim, of those in your list...which has the better AF system? And is canon's better then these?
littlejohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2009, 6:08 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlejohn View Post
Jim, of those in your list...which has the better AF system? And is canon's better then these?
The Canon AF system is the best proven of the cameras under consideration. In general, Pentax doesn't have a good track record for AF systems before their K-7. So I would say second place would be either the Nikon or the Sony.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2009, 8:38 PM   #20

Sony may be the way to go if you want to get additional lens cheap by buying used Minolta Maxxum lenses. Of course, Canon has factory promotion with $200 off with a camera and 2 lenses combo. The cheapest 2 lenses combo is the Olympus E520 for $549 at any given day. Just the camera itself, the cheapest one is the Sony A230 at $399.
WCKSer is offline   Reply With Quote