Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 10, 2009, 11:09 PM   #1

Default Need good camera for real estate photos

Can anyone recommend a good camera that I can use for real estate photos. Need a camera that can do wide angle shots but not looking for the fish eye look. I would prefer to stay under $400. Any good point and shoots or would I have to go with a dslr? Thanks for your help.
mkurylak is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 10, 2009, 11:43 PM   #2
Super Moderator

the Panasonic LX3 offers a good wide-angle view (24mm equivalent) and some of the better image quality in a P&S camera (including high-iso shots when needed). It has a relatively short zoom, but for architecture you will be using the wide-angle anyway. It is durable and has good build quality. I think as far as p&s camera's go, it would be hard to find a better model for this purpose.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2009, 7:40 AM   #3

Morning, I can second Hard's suggestion. I have a Panasonic LX3 and it should work very well for what you are looking to do for several reasons. The only other P&S cameras out there with as wide a lens (it is not quite as wide as the LX3, and also the lens is not a fast zoomed out), is the recently announced Canon S90 (which I know nothing about).

http://www.neutralday.com/canon-powe...ct-comparison/

The LX3 has a Leica f2-f2.8 lens, which means at 24mm, wide angle its f2 which collects a lot of light, and at 60mm, at the full zoom factor its f2.8 which still collects an awful lot of light in dimly lit areas. The only negative is that when using a flash, you can have a shadow projected because of the lens protruding from the unit, however I have not found it to be a problem.

It is not quite shirt pocketable, but its size is still relatively very small. Very easy to use. For most of this year, it has been in short supply, so the price has risen. You can still find units available in the area of $400 to $450. Black units tend to be priced higher, while silver units tend to have somewhat lower prices.

Here are some pictures....

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/pa...t-imagery.html
http://forums.steves-digicams.com/pa...a-sunsets.html
http://forums.steves-digicams.com/pa...ego-night.html

Also, Leica sells essentially the same camera, the DLux4 for about $600+ (it has the Leica red dot, a hand strap, and it is said that the software is slightly a bit different). Here is a link to some discussion between the two with pictures.

http://ianho.blogspot.com/2008/11/pa...a-d-lux-4.html

Here is some pricing...

http://www.google.com/products/catal...=p&os=sellers#

hope that helps...

Last edited by interested_observer; Nov 11, 2009 at 7:59 AM.
interested_observer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2009, 8:59 AM   #4

Welcome to the Forum. Thanks for dropping by.

You might save some money by looking for a Kodak P-880 on E-Bay. It was a fantastic camera with a 24mm wide angle, as well. If you can find one it will not be expensive.

Have a great day

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2009, 12:27 PM   #5

Thanks for the quick input. Would you suggest the LX3 or spending a little more to get a DSLR and a wide angle lense? I would also use the camera for personal use, mainly nature and people shots besides the house photos for real estate.
Old Nov 11, 2009, 12:38 PM   #6
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkurylak View Post
Thanks for the quick input. Would you suggest the LX3 or spending a little more to get a DSLR and a wide angle lense? I would also use the camera for personal use, mainly nature and people shots besides the house photos for real estate.
well it kind of depends. do you value a small size and weight. do you want to spend time on the learning curve on a dslr. if you do not plan to spend time learning about your dslr, your photos will not be better with a dslr. actually it will most likely be worse. without basic knowledge of the fundamentals of photography and image editing, you will get better results out of camera from a quality p&s like the Panasonic LX3.

if you do plan to continue with an interest in photography and are willing to spend the time to get over the learning curve associated with a DSLR, you will have more flexibility in a variety of situations with the DSLR.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2009, 5:59 PM   #7

I currently have a Sony DSC-S75 and have only used it on auto settings. Size and weight aren't a huge issue. My wife has a Sony DSC-W170. We use that for everyday photos.

I plan on continuing an interest in photography. Is there a HUGE learning curve with a DSLR? Any recommendations on where to start learning about SLR's? My wife wants a DSLR too, so I figured I could kill two birds with one stone by getting one for work and using it for personal.
Old Nov 11, 2009, 7:31 PM   #8

The issue involved here is this: a entry level DSLR camera can be purchased fairly reasonably (less than $500). To give you a hard example, since you have two Sony cameras, let suppose that the Sony A-230 DSLR camera really appealed to you.

You will get the A-230 DSLR camera and what is called a "kit lens," which in this case will be the Sony 18-55mm camera. The A-230 has IS built into the camera body, so you do not need IS in the lenses. That kit lens will give you a 28mm wide angle, when expressed in 35mm terms.

Earlier we had discussed 24mm lens that were on the Panasonic LX3 and the Kodak P-880 cameras. That is really quite a bit wider in perspective. If you wanted to get into the 24mm range that would mean that you would have to purchase an additional lens, which equals more cost. Then to take those so called, "real estate" photos you will need a good external flash. The A-230+the extra lens+the external flash could quickly run the cash register up to around $1,200.00.

Can your budget handle that amount. You have to be "at ease" with the prices we are discussing. So think it over, and we can take the discussion onward from there.

Sarah Joyce
Old Nov 21, 2009, 11:50 AM   #9

Default Real Estate Camera

As a broker and appraiser for 37 years, I prefer a small pocket camera. I recently purchased a Olympus FS-4010 from BestBuy online for $135. Cheap construction and so-so detail but it does the job.
As a pro photographer, I have Canon 1Ds Mark II and 5D mark ii. and many others & lenses. If you are going to shoot only one property and want top notch results, the 16-35mm lens in a full frame will do everything you need.
BUT if you are looking for a wide angle point and shoot, I would recommend the Canon SD980SI. 24mm wide angle lens and sharp images.
I have used a Canaon SD550 for years and images are super. You do need a fairly high quailty camera for appraisals as you always need to zoom in on the address numbers to identify the houses. The previously mentioned Olympus was very disappointing and not as good as the SD550 at 7pm. Panasonic zr1 looks promising also with a wide angle 24mm
JGeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2009, 1:53 PM   #10

JGeer-

Welcome to the Forum. We're glad you dropped by.

The Panasonic ZR1 and ZS1 offer a 25mm wide angle that is true. However, the indoor performance use the camera's built-in flash unit is miserable. A Real Estate person would be much better served by purchasing a Kodak P-880 camera on E-Bay which does have a 24mm wide angle and a hot shoe allowing for external flash use. You would both save money and provide much increase image quality.

Sarah Joyce