Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 12, 2009, 4:16 PM   #11
Administrator

From tests I've seen, the new Sony entry level models focus faster than the more expensive Canon T1i in most lighting, much less the lower priced models like the OP is looking at (and the OP already indicated that the more expensive Canon models like the XSi, etc., were over budget anyway).

You'll see some discussion of the Sony A330 AF performance versus the performance of the T1i (a more expensive camera than the OP is looking at) on this page (and the lower priced A230 should perform identically, only it doesn't get the A330's live view feature)

http://www.popphoto.com/Reviews/Came...Sony-Alpha-330

In order to get better AF than the Sony A230, you'll probably need to move up to a more expensive camera in the Canon lineup compared to models like the XS the OP is looking at. The Canon T1i has probably got the fastest AF in lower light levels compared to most other models under $1K (and again, it's over the OP's desired budget anyway). But, in lighting levels you'd be more likely to use a camera in, the Sony tests faster, even compared to more expensive Canon models.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2009, 4:27 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
I really doubt the Canon 18-55mm lens is any better than the Sony 18-55mm lens, as I haven't see them tested with similar cameras, and it appears that the test of the Sony lens at slrgear.com had a centering defect (softer on one side), skewing the test results.
Come on, JimC. You can't pick and choose your test results. If there was something physically wrong with the test sample that would cause the softness in one corner, it would also adversly affect the CA. But if you look at the test results, the Sony's CA (where the lens is soft) is better than the CA of the Canon. Perhaps there is something wrong with the test sample, and on a better sample, that one corner wouldn't be so soft, but perhaps as that corner improved, the other three corners would would get worse.

Also, if you look at the Sony 55-200, that corner is softer than the others as well. Perhaps there's something about SAM that's causing the softness. (If you can pick and choose test results, so can I. )

And for a little more money, the 55-250 is better than either of Sony's entry level telephoto lenses. That might not be an immediate purchase, but whatever the OP buys, he should spare him or herself the disappointment of a lens that's just cheap.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2009, 4:33 PM   #13
Administrator

It's not just a "little more money:". ;-)

You're talking a lot more money. You couldn't buy a Canon XS kit with a 18-55mm kit lens with a Tamron 55-200mm lens for what the Sony A230 two lens kit costs (and even if you could, you'd have stabilization with the Sony and you wouldn't have it with the XS kit using that lens). If you want the better Canon 55-200mm lens with an XS kit, it's going to cost you an extra $200 - $250 over the base XS kit. That's a big difference (and the Sony has higher available ISO speeds compared to the XS, faster AF compared to the XS, and more).
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2009, 4:34 PM   #14

Quote:
From tests I've seen, the new Sony entry level models focus faster than the more expensive Canon T1i in most lighting, much less the lower priced models like the OP is looking at (and the OP already indicated that the more expensive Canon models like the XSi, etc., were over budget anyway).

You'll see some discussion of the Sony A330 AF performance versus the performance of the T1i (a more expensive camera than the OP is looking at) on this page (and the lower priced A230 should perform identically, only it doesn't get the A330's live view feature)

http://www.popphoto.com/Reviews/Came...Sony-Alpha-330
That is a test of the autofocus system using 'Live View'. I acknowledge that the A330 and A380 are among the fastest autofocusing entry level 'Live View' dSLRs, but since the A230 doesn't have 'Live View', we can't extrapolate the good performance of the A330 to the A230.

Last edited by TCav; Nov 12, 2009 at 4:42 PM.
Old Nov 12, 2009, 4:40 PM   #15

Quote:
It's not just a "little more money:". ;-)

You're talking a lot more money. You couldn't buy a Canon XS kit with a 18-55mm kit lens with a Tamron 55-200mm lens for what the Sony A230 two lens kit costs (and even if you could, you'd have stabilization with the Sony and you wouldn't have it with the XS kit using that lens). If you want the better Canon 55-200mm lens with an XS kit, it's going to cost you an extra $200 - $250 over the base XS kit. That's a big difference.
I'm talking about the XS with the 18-55 IS ($500 at Adorama) plus the 55-250 IS ($255 at Adorama). The A230 with the 18-55 and the 55-200 is $600 at Sony Style. That's only $155 less, and it's not as good.
Old Nov 12, 2009, 4:51 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
I'm talking about the XS with the 18-55 IS ($500 at Adorama) plus the 55-250 IS ($255 at Adorama). The A230 with the 18-55 and the 55-200 is $600 at Sony Style. That's only $155 less, and it's not as good.
And for an extra $45, the OP could get the 12MP XSi instead of the 10MP XS, should he or she be so inclined.
Old Nov 16, 2009, 12:41 AM   #17

Default Canon XSi for less

I just bought a Canon XSi with 18-55mm IS and 55-250mm IS kit lens for $633 shipped from amazon.com. The XSi is a grade higher than the Sony A230 and the Canon XS. There is a $200 instant rebate and that is why the price is so low.
WCKSer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2009, 1:23 PM   #18

I bought the same setup on Friday. The price on the lens went down to $221. So i got everything for $630.32. The camera already shipped on Saturday.
Netman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2009, 1:28 PM   #19
Super Moderator

congratulations to you both!
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2009, 5:40 PM   #20

The lens price drops to $217 the last night. I could have save a few bucks, I have no regrets though buying this combo. It should be delivered on Wednesday.
WCKSer is offline   Reply With Quote