Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 12, 2009, 5:27 AM   #1

Default First Dslr

Heyy guyz...im a 17 year old aspiring photographer...my friends and family tell me my photos with my 6mp cybershot are magazine worthy...ive seriously grown out of the cam and want to get serious...so yeah my birthday gift is pending and my dad wants me to take the plunge and get my first DSLR...Now after some extensive research ive narrowed it down to the Rebel XS and the sony a230 twin lens kit(since theres no difference in image quality in the a300)....Now ive heard the a230 offers great bang for the buck...and the rebel series cams are said to be the top cams in the first dslr range...So which cam do u suggest? please dont offer extra suggestions like ''yo dude i think u shud get the d90 or the xsi''...thats not the answer im looking for....i want a camera for seriously artistic photography...landscapes, macro shots, b and w portraits...image quality is also important...i want high quality images....and i want to know which one of these cams has a better result with the kit lens since i cant get extra lenses right now...il have to wait for a few months. and the image quality should definately be better than the point and shoots in the family.
zaidkhan1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 12, 2009, 6:41 AM   #2
Super Moderator

Both cameras are good options so I know you won't be disappointed with either. Obviously if you are looking at the single lens with the Canon and twin lens with the Sony you will have a lot more flexibility with the latter. Neither will be great for Macro, but will allow a certain level of close up work, if you want real macro you are looking at different lens options. For more serious artistic photography I would put very high on your shopping list a fast prime lens, you can get quite cheap (don't read bad quality) 50mm options from both canon and Sony (the Sony is about half as much again in price), however with the Sony you could just pick up a very cheap 2nd hand Minolta 50mm f1.7 that will do a lovely job. This makes a great portrait option with very wide aperture. The other thing to have high on your list is an external flash.

This can literally make the difference between night and day, as well as make a mediocre photo pop to life.

This photo was only taken with a Canon SX1 (I left the dSLR on the bag) but put the external flash on to balance the very bright back light and bring some colour to the sky. If you took this without an external flash you would either have a well exposed sky and dark silhouette subject of correctly exposed subject and a pure white sky.

I will admit that if I had taken time to control the exposure a little more the sky would have been even better, but my fiancee was pretty cold so it was all I could do to convince her to take a few quick shots.

Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2009, 8:23 AM   #3
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaidkhan1991 View Post
...and i want to know which one of these cams has a better result with the kit lens since i cant get extra lenses right now...il have to wait for a few months.
I doubt you'd see a lot of difference in image quality with their 18-55mm kit lenses in most conditions. If you can swing another $100 over the basic A230 kit price ($499), you can get the Sony A230 two lens kit including 18-55mm and 55-200mm lenses right now for $599 (and you should find the same deal at most vendors carrying Sony dSLR models). That deal gives you pretty good "bang for the buck" in an entry level kit.

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/...52921665879092

I'd try out both cameras in a store to see how you like them.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2009, 8:26 AM   #4

Default New updates

Hey guys..thanks for the replies...i got another option...it just popped up...One of my dads coworkers is selling his Pentax K10D kit...how do u think it compares? i know its default jpeg processing is crap but i dnt mind shooting in RAW....any idea?
zaidkhan1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2009, 8:29 AM   #5
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaidkhan1991 View Post
Hey guys..thanks for the replies...i got another option...it just popped up...One of my dads coworkers is selling his Pentax K10D kit...how do u think it compares? i know its default jpeg processing is crap but i dnt mind shooting in RAW....any idea?
A capable camera and some great/cheap lens options available. I personally couldn't cope with processing every shot and even for weddings I no longer shoot RAW as it is a pain in storage resources and time. I find the K10D to be a nicer handling camera, however each of us is different.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2009, 9:12 AM   #6

I will add that the, between the Canon XS and the Sony A230, the Canon's kit lenses are better. The Sony is nice because it can use all those used minolta lenses, and they'll be stabilized on the A230. But the lenses you'll get in the two lens kit aren't as good as the lenses in the Canon kit. So, right off the bat, you'll need to spend more money on the Sony to get something as good as the Canon.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2009, 9:46 AM   #7
Administrator

I'm not buying it. About the only 2 lens kits you see for the XS at anywhere near the Sony 2 lens kit price are vendor kits using the Canon 75-300mm, which does not have a great reputation (for example, Adorama.com offers one including the 18-55mm and 75-300mm lenses for $669 right now, which is $70 higher than the A230 two lens kit, plus it's a larger and heavier lens designed for 35mm cameras). You also don't get stabilization with the telephoto lens in the Canon kits like that. If you want a Canon 55-250mm IS lens, it's going to cost you a lot more in an XS kit.
Old Nov 12, 2009, 3:22 PM   #8

The Canon two lens kit is the 18-55 IS and the 55-250 IS. The Canon 18-55 is better than Sony's, and the Canon 55-250 IS is better than either the Sony 75-300 or the Sony 55-200.

See http://www.adorama.com/ICADRXSISK55.html
Old Nov 12, 2009, 3:30 PM   #9
Administrator

I really doubt the Canon 18-55mm lens is any better than the Sony 18-55mm lens, as I haven't see them tested with similar cameras, and it appears that the test of the Sony lens at slrgear.com had a centering defect (softer on one side), skewing the test results.

As for the Canon 50-255mm lens, a kit using the Canon XS with that lens is going to run you a lot more than a Sony A230 kit including the 18-55mm kit lens + a 55-20mm kit lens.

You can buy the two lens Sony kit for approx. $599 right now.

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/...52921665879092

Yet, the kit you pointed to is running approx. $799. ($200 more)

http://www.adorama.com/ICADRXSISK55.html

For an extra $200, I would hope it would test a bit better (although I doubt you would see much in the way of real world performance differences between them, other than the faster Autofocus with the Sony).
Old Nov 12, 2009, 4:53 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
... other than the faster Autofocus with the Sony.
Just to be clear, are you saying that the Sony A230 focuses faster than the Canon XS?