Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 14, 2009, 7:57 PM   #1

Default Need a camera with zoom during video,720p and prefer under $250

Ok guys, I would like to find a camera that fits the title for under 250, but a little more is ok.

Thanks in advance!
charleslong is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 14, 2009, 8:36 PM   #2

Good slow, quite zoom while video: ZS3.
But still picks are pretty noisy when zooming.
Ordo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2009, 12:15 PM   #3
Super Moderator

the ZS3 and Sony H-20 both offer 720p and zooming during video

i think the Sony seems to do a better job with zooming and autofocusing during the movie mode. the sacrifice is a little bit of wide-angle. (38mm widest for sony, 25mm for the panny)
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2009, 2:58 AM   #4

I currently own a Sony H20, and also borrowed and tested a ZS3. Here are my observations, and no i am not biased to the Sony since i actually borrowed the ZS3 to see if it was worth purchasing!
  • The Sony zoom is very smooth. The ZS3 which starts slow, accelerates in the mid zoom and then slows down again making it hard to track anything.
  • While the marketing might give you the idea that AVCDLite is better quality, the reality is that AVCDLite allows you to record unlimited, the quality is not different from what the Sony puts out.
  • Further the Sony low sensitive mode is a lot better than the ZS3, though its still noisy it is able to work under low light better. The ZS3 under low light produces very dark footage.
  • The the Sony is only 10X compared to 12x on the ZS3, the telephoto of 360mm makes it reach longer than the ZS3.
  • The ZS3 has a dedicated video button, but its actually makes things messy. For instance the very moment you press it it starts to record, and its also placed where you cannot press while holding with a single hand. Compared the Sony has the tradition option where you select the mode and press the shutter button which very much easier.
The only issue you will have to see is if the wide angle of 38mm compared to 25mm is an issue, if not if you want video the Sony H20 is the better option (In addition to the fact that the Sony has a better flash, better low light photos due to a larger sized sensor, and manual controls that further help when it comes to low light photographs)
rayaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2009, 8:17 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by charleslong View Post
Ok guys, I would like to find a camera that fits the title for under 250, but a little more is ok.

Thanks in advance!
Panasonic's ZR1 and TZ7 are both capable of this, at least the reviews I've read claim that they are.
NewSD780IS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2009, 11:17 PM   #6

Thanks guys, I got an H20 and im very happy with it.
charleslong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2009, 9:15 AM   #7

Charles-

Congratulations on your new H-20 camera. I know you will have a lot of fun with it.

Have a great day and a Happy Thanksgiving,

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote