Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 16, 2009, 1:10 PM   #11

I have been doing a lot of reading on dslr cameras for a while now and finially ordered mine yesterday. I have chose canon over the others. I had it down to the xsi and t1i. You can get an instant rebate at amazon.com for the canon xsi kit $599 or canon T1i kit $729 and the 55-250 lens $221. The instant rebate come out to be $200. So really you are getting the lens for $20 in the end.
Netman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2009, 2:09 PM   #12

I've seen others post about this as well but I've tried a couple times and I never see the rebate.
gman1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2009, 2:27 PM   #13

Here is what i posted in another thread:

There were a couple issues i had so i will share incase anyone else runs into this. When i first went to Amazon i wasnt getting my $200 discount at checkout with both items in my basket. I then realized that the lense in my basket was being shipped from another vendor. The lense was out of stock at Amazon. I then went back and put the lense from Amazon in my cart and the $200 discount was applied. My next issue was that they were saying that the items wouldnt be shipped until 12/22-1/7. I need the camera for xmas but dont need the lense now. So what I did was have the camera shipped to my home and the lense will be shipped to my work. This forced the shipment to be split up and now the camera should ship 11/18.

On another note you can get the discount from Buy Dig but they only give the discount in a bundle and it comes out to $799 or something like that. So Amazon is your best deal.

Quick update. I got an email from Amazon this morning.

Hello from Amazon.com.

We are writing about the order you placed on November 13 2009 (Order# 104-3206999-4352252). The item(s) listed below will actually ship sooner than we originally expected:

"Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4.0-5.6 IS Telephoto Zoom Lens for Canon Digital SLR Cameras"
Previous estimated arrival date: January 04 2010 - January 15 2010
New estimated arrival date: December 03 2009 - December 09 2009
Netman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2009, 2:30 PM   #14

Thanks!
I must be slow but I still can't get it to work. The only lens I have found so far is sold by another vendor. Would you happen to have the link for the lens you got?

Last edited by gman1987; Nov 16, 2009 at 3:10 PM.
Old Nov 17, 2009, 1:18 PM   #15

One more question. How will the xsi camera do at night. A lot of the ball games will be at night under the lights of the baseball field.
Old Nov 17, 2009, 1:24 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by gman1987 View Post
One more question. How will the xsi camera do at night. A lot of the ball games will be at night under the lights of the baseball field.
Now, you've thrown a gigantic curve ball into things. The reality is - nighttime basebal is some of the most difficult photography. You'll need a completely different setup for that. You'll need an f2.8 lens and Camera with ISO 3200-6400 capability.

In short neither the camera nor the lens you are considering is going to get the job done. You would need to step up to the T1i and something like a sigma 70-200 2.8 to get night time shots. Even then results will be ify - baseball diamonds are not well lit and certainly not uniformly lit.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2009, 1:28 PM   #17

I take great pics of the stars at night with my xsi I love it.
maryccc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2009, 1:32 PM   #18

Follow up - NO, I repeat NO f5.6 lens on the market is going to do a decent job of nighttime baseball/softball under the lights - with ANY camera. It's worse lighting than football fields. In fact, I don't even shoot nighttime games anymore - even with my Canon 1dmkIII and f2.8 lenses (70-200 2.8, 120-300 2.8). It's just too difficult to get quality shots. Nighttime HS football is easier - better lighting and I can use flash.

If you'd be allowed to use flash, that can improve the quality of your shots. But you'll need an external flash. AND you'll have additional issues to address. External flashes have focus assist beams which can help focus for the camera - BUT that feature doesn't operate in AI-Servo focus mode. Even with focus assist I think you're going to have trouble with any f5.6 lens. So, it's big gamble trying that route. I don't shoot with f5.6 lenses. I would suggest you only go the flash/f5.6 route if someone can show you photographs the option will work for sports. It works well with my f2.8 lenses and football.

There are other issues to discuss if you have to go the flash route. But, without flash, know you'll need ISO 3200-6400 AND f2.8.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2009, 1:32 PM   #19

Hm,
Would the xsi still be considered better than the k-x. I've read where it takes good pics in low light. I kind of understand ISO but f2.8 throws me. No need to try and explain it here though. I plan on taking a class after I get my camera. Would the xsi still be considered better than the k-x. I've read where it takes good pics in low light. The mid $600 range is probably the best my budget (read wife) will allow.
Old Nov 17, 2009, 1:35 PM   #20

I posted this a few weeks ago. When the deal started on the first day I got one and am so happy I did
Canon Rebel XSi w/18-55mm IS and 55-250mm IS lenses for $645 (Instant)
Canon just started a new instant rebate program for some camera/lens combos yesterday. One instant rebate offer is $200 off instantly if you buy the Rebel XSi kit and the 55-250mm IS lens together. Amazon has the XSi kit for $600 and the 55-250mm lens for $245 which totals to $845. You won't see the instant rebate of $200 until you get to the checkout screen. Add a 50mm f1.8 lens to this deal and you have an excellent DSLR starter set.

Rebel XSI Kit
http://www.amazon.com/Canon-Digit...4&sr =8-1

Canon 55-250mm IS Lens
http://www.amazon.com/Canon-55-25...7&sr =1-2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Netman View Post
Here is what i posted in another thread:

There were a couple issues i had so i will share incase anyone else runs into this. When i first went to Amazon i wasnt getting my $200 discount at checkout with both items in my basket. I then realized that the lense in my basket was being shipped from another vendor. The lense was out of stock at Amazon. I then went back and put the lense from Amazon in my cart and the $200 discount was applied. My next issue was that they were saying that the items wouldnt be shipped until 12/22-1/7. I need the camera for xmas but dont need the lense now. So what I did was have the camera shipped to my home and the lense will be shipped to my work. This forced the shipment to be split up and now the camera should ship 11/18.

On another note you can get the discount from Buy Dig but they only give the discount in a bundle and it comes out to $799 or something like that. So Amazon is your best deal.

Quick update. I got an email from Amazon this morning.

Hello from Amazon.com.

We are writing about the order you placed on November 13 2009 (Order# 104-3206999-4352252). The item(s) listed below will actually ship sooner than we originally expected:

"Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4.0-5.6 IS Telephoto Zoom Lens for Canon Digital SLR Cameras"
Previous estimated arrival date: January 04 2010 - January 15 2010
New estimated arrival date: December 03 2009 - December 09 2009
maryccc is offline   Reply With Quote