Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 17, 2009, 7:51 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by smhhasan7 View Post
Hi Sarah, i also have a question.... which is the very best Point and shoot(any price range) that can give me the best image quality, sharpness, color saturation. Image quality is my main priority
The best camera, is the Sigma DP2. It will give you SLR quality. It can be used as a point and shoot, or it can be used in full manual mode, or any level between. You can shoot in RAW, or various levels of JPEG.

I didn't mention it before because the OP stressed budget. The Sigma is over $600.

I started two threads with image examples:

What an incredible camera - The DP-2 - Steve's Digicams Forums

One more shot from the Sigma DP2 - Steve's Digicams Forums

Dave
Chato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2009, 8:53 AM   #12

smhasan-

Welcome to the Forum. Thank you for dropping by.

Certainly, Dave has already mentioned the Sigma DP2. But it has a very high price and certain limitations that some users find difficult to adjust their styly of shooting to. The DP2 has a fixed 40mm lens. The lens is quite good, but most folks are used to a zoom lens.

Another, more widely used option is the Canon G-11 (5x optical zoom, or SP-90 (3.8X optical zoom) cameras. They both use the same imager, but have different lenses. The G-11 is the most full featured camera of the two, and I would rate it as a larger compact camera. In contrast, the SP-90 is equipped with a very fast F 2.0 lens and it is very small.

And then you have the ultrazoom cameras such as the Panasonic FZ-35/38 (18X optical zoom), the Canon SX-10/SX-20 (20X optical zoom), the Nikon P-90/Kodak Z-980 cameras which are produced by the same camera maker (24X optical zoom), and the Olympus SP-590 which has 26X optical zoom. Of that group of ultra zoom cameras, the Panasonic FZ-35/38 is rated the best in terms of image quality, sharpness, thanks to its Leica lens, and excellent color saturation.

So Hasan, you really have your choice. Usually the amount of zoom is very important to folks, so I have separated the possible cameras on that basis. Please tell us more about the kind of photos that you are currently taking as well as those that you plan for the future, with your new camera. It is very important to get the exact camera that fits your needs. Don't hesitate dropping by a camera shop just to see how these cameras feel in YOUR hands. Are the controls within easy reach, is the shutter release where it logically should be for you, and is the LCD screen sharp enough. All of those factors and more play into how you and the camera will work together.

We are always here to provide information and encouragement as you move forward in the camera world. Have a great day.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2009, 2:37 AM   #13

Hi Sarah, thanks so much for giving me some of ur precious time.... based on ur suggestions, I have narrowed in on Pany Fz38, SX1 and SX20... I would love good picture quality, i want to take shots in a moving train, birds on distant trees, animals in the zoo, indoor family photos, pictures in garden in good sunlight, recording movies in rainy season(which requires good clarity) and also plenty of photos of my home and finally a few landscape shots from my balcony. I hate blurry pics or dark pics... so this is all that i need. . Pls also compre picture qualities of all three of them in detail since i would love the articulating screen on the Canons, hotshoe option for flash and probably better ergonomics.... i would love a detailed reply so that in a day or two i can finally order a digicam that i have been longing for quite a while now... thnx in advance, u've been very kind
smhhasan7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2009, 9:27 AM   #14

Good morning, Hasan-

A good portion of excellent photos is a unique blend of photographic knowledge, an artful eye, and the right equipment. The camera you have listed are super zoom, or bridge cameras. There is nothing wrong with super zoom or bridge cameras, but they require a bit more skill and patience, as they do not represent the very best in equipment.

You have never provided a budget, so we are sort of flying blind here. However, I do feel the necessity to call your attention to the fact that there is indeed a somewhat better level of cameras in the DSLR category. The biggest difference between super zoom cameras and DSLR cameras, lies in the physical size and type of the imager that is used to capture the photo. The imager on a DSLR camera is approximately 15X larger than the imager used on the Canon SX-20 or the Panasonic FZ-35. That imager size plays an especially large role in photos taken in a very low light environment. The Canon XSi camera has usable ISO settings up to and including ISO 1600. There is also a Canon $100 to $200 instant rebate program going on right now that would measurably reduce the cost of, for example the Canon XSi camera, the kit lens (the Canon 18-55mm IS lens), and the Canon 55-250mmIS lens. That Canon 55-250mmIS lens would give you the equivalent of an 14X lens package, as the final zoom on the 55-250mm lens, when the Canon multiplier of 1.6 is used is 400mm. In short a camera like the Canon XSi would give you better and sharper images and a better low light environment capability. BTW the Canon XSi camera does not have an articulated LCD.

Let's take a look at the three selected cameras: the Panasonic FZ-35/38 follows on in the tradition of the ground breaking FZ-18 and FZ-28 cameras which were two of the finest ultra zoom cameras ever produced. While the FZ-35/38 does not have an articulated LCD screen (2.7" with 230,000 pixels), it does bring to the table 18X of optical zoom in a Leica formula lens. The image quality of the FZ-35/38 is very good. It does not have a hot shoe. However, a slave flash could easily be used with the FZ-35/38. The ISO capability of the FZ-35/38 functionally, tops out at ISO 800. Yes, there are indeed ISO settings above ISO 800, but the image quality becomes blurred and bespeckled with visible electronic noise, making it usable only when you absolutely have to get the photo. Those ultra high ISO images are not a pretty sight. The FZ-35/38 has a continuous shooting speed of 2.3 fps. the FZ-35/38 uses a 12mp conventional CCD type imager. The video format on the FZ-35/38 is AVCHD which allows unlimited video recording time on cameras sold outside of Europe. The video resolution is 1280 X 720 with a fram rate of 60 fps as oppossed to the Canon SX-1 and SX-20 that have a frame rate of 30 fps. On the FZ-35/38 you can use the optical zoom while video filming. The FZ-35/38 is also almost 200 grams lighter than the Canon SX-1 and SX-20. The FZ-35/38 utilizes an enhance IS system while the Canon SX-1 and SX-20 utilize a standard IS system and have only 10mp of still photo resolution.The panasonic FZ-35/38, like the Canon SX-1 supports RAW format. The canon SX-20 does not support RAW format.

The Canon SX-1 is a hybrid camerausing wireless control and support. That means that it uses a different type of imager than either the FZ_35 or the SX-20. The Canon SX-1 utilizes a small CMOS imager, that still much, much smaller than the CMOS imagers found on typical DSLR cameras. That CMOS imager used on the SX-1 does give the SX-1 a continuous shooting speed of 4 fps, as oppossed to the Canon SX-20 whic is limited to 1.4 fps. The SX-1 has full HD video (1920 X 1080), stereo sound, full HDMI output, and the ability, to zoom while filming. The maximum video recording time is just 12 minutes. The SX-1 lens, like that of the SX-20 begins at 28mm and extends to 506mm (in 35mm terms) giving you a 20X optical zoom. Of course both the SX-1 and the SX-10 camera have an articulated LCD screen and a hot shoe allowing you to utilize any of the full range of Canon flashes and dedicated third party flashes. The advantages of a hot shoe and the articulated LCD screen are considerable and should not be discounted.

The Canon Sx-20 camera is equipped with a conventional CCD type imager. It does have a continuous have a continuous shooting speed of 1.4 fps. It shoots conventional video at 640 X 480, with a maximum recording time of 45 minutes. The SX-20 can zoom while filming video. Both the SX-1 and SX-20 have dual recording channels for video sound and a wind filter system. The SX-20 does not have HDMI or wireless support and control. Both the SX-1 and the SX-20 have LCD screens with 235,000 pixels for a sharp display that have a fast refresh cycle. Both the SX-1 and the SX-20 use electronic viewfinders with 235,000 pixels making them also very sharp and fast to refresh. Both the SX-1 and the SX-20 have face detect self timers and auto red-eye removal. Both the SX-1 and SX-20 are capable of very good images in good lighting. When the photo environment begins to lower in its light level, the SX-1 and the SX-20 will have image quality issues. Once again, I want to remind you, Hasan, that the typical DSLR camera will have a much improved low light level environment shooting capability.

So, IMO, Hasan, you must weigh the decision to consider an entry level DSLR camera which is nearly the cost of the canon SX-1, as opposed to a super zoom type camera which the Panasonic FZ-35/38, Canon SX-1, and SX-20 are.

Among the super zoom cameras, each has its own advantages and disadvantages. Have a great day.

Sarah Joyce
Old Nov 18, 2009, 8:46 PM   #15

Default Good information

Sarah,

I think the SX20 does shoot HD video, unlike its predecessor, the SX10.
robbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2009, 12:01 AM   #16

You are correct, robbo-

The SX-20 does indeed shoot HD video. It is not quite as good as the video on the SX-1.

Sarah Joyce
Old Nov 19, 2009, 7:17 AM   #17

Thanks Sarah.... I think i will go for Panasonic but there are a few questions that i would still like to clarify...
1. You oberserved that the Leica lens takes better photos... is it down to the lens or the hardware or the difference in the IQ of both pany n Canon is very minimal or on the contrary it's noticable.
2. You also oberserved that the Image stablisation of Panasonic is enhanced.. does it make noticable difference or it's just theoritical.
3. Which camera in your opinion is better with indoor shots.
4. Which one has a faster shutter speed?
5. Which one has more powerful flash.
6. I don't know about focal lengths but can u throw some light on that as well.
7. By the way my budget wouldn't allow me to go for dSLR because videos are very important for me and the cheapest dSLR appears to be Pentax K-X which is relatively expensive and if i go for lens kit, it's going to cost me more... I'm not in US so i have consider a lot of things..
8. Talking about the LCD screen, which one has a more vibrant screen or both are same and the difference is minimal.
9. You mentioned that there is an alternative way to use external flash on Panasonic.. can u explain..
10. Talking about the purple fringing that appears, I think that's only noticable at full resolution... As far as I see it, i don't want any prints n on my computer, i won't use 100% image size..

I know i've asked a lot of silly questions but only wise people like u can feed us with some knowledge and improve it... thnx in advance

Hasan
smhhasan7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2009, 8:10 AM   #18

Default Hello all!

When going on a cruise, do you need a passport?
RaKsMots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2009, 8:57 AM   #19

RaKsMots-

Yes, you definitely will need a passport when going on a cruise. Birth Certificates are no longer a valid entry document to re-enter the the USA since 09/11/2001. I used to work on cruse ships and have been on 618 cruises, so I am providing the correct information. If in doubt, contact the cruise line on which you are sailing.

Sarah Joyce
Old Nov 19, 2009, 9:32 AM   #20

Good Morning, Hasan-

Please understand I was not wanting you to overspend your budget. But, I did want you to know that there is indeed a class of cameras that do lie above bridge or super zoom cameras. The term super zoom and bridge cameras is almost the same. The terms refer to a camera with more than 10X optical zoom, that has both auto and manual controls, and can at your option can shoot in RAW.

Panasonic is a very strong contender in the super zoom category because of their long experience in super zoom cameras, and the unique melding of components that go to make up their super zoom cameras. Od course, the lens on the FZ-35/28 is a Leica formula lens that Panasonic makes under license from Leica. It is an excellent lens, and a bit better than the Lens used by the Canon SX-1, or SX-20. However, I want you to understand that the quality lens is just one component in the FZ-35/38 package. In the USA, the camera is called the FZ-35. In Europe and in other parts of the world Panasonic markets the very same camera as the FZ-38.

Yes, with the introduction of the FZ-35/38 Panasonic actually re-designed the OIS (or Optical Image Stabilization) System for the FX-35/38 to enhance the stabilization, in particular, for video. There are several scientific studies underway that are documenting how much improvement the enhanced stabilization actually makes, However, based on camera reviews, and user reports, it appears that the OIS System has been functionally improved. The OIS system is another component in the FZ-35/38 camera that improves it performance, and helps create better image quality. So these small improvements in multiple areas, for example the lens and the OIS System, all work in concert to produce a better camera.

In preparation for the next post, I have attached a photo of my Panasonic FZ-28 camera with the DigiSlave-3000 attached on an accessory flash bracket. You will notice that the flash itself can tilt from 0 through 90 degrees. In addition, thanks to the accessory flash bracket, the DigiSlave-3000 can also be swiveled for ful spectrum flash bouncing. The Digi Slave 3000 is stron enough to bounce off white ceilings providing very soft lighting.

Now we will move to the next post, thanks!

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Last edited by mtclimber; Nov 19, 2009 at 9:37 AM.