Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 19, 2009, 9:13 AM   #21

Hello again, Hasan-

Please keep in mind that when using just the built-in flash unit on any of these three cameras that you have selected, we have a well defined flash range of 10 to 13 feet, where the built-in flash unit will provide sufficient light to properly expose a photo. As soon as you go beyond 13 feet, or more, due to the decreasing light level on the subject, your photo will become darker and darker as the camera to subject distance increases beyond 13 feet. To overcome that problem we must do two things: (a) provide a greater amount of light. (b) synchronize that added light with the camera. A slave flash accomplishes that because it is triggered to go off when the photo electric lens on the slave flash "sees/reads" the light of the camera's built-in flash unit, flashing. Because light travels at 192,000 miles per hour, the synchronization of the flash with the camera is instantaneous. Using the DigiSlave-3000, the camera's (the FZ-35/38, in this case) flash range is extended functionally out to 20 to 25 feet, allowing you to photograph a group or a full room.

All three cameras on your list have almost identical power in their built-in flash units (nominally a Guide Number of 12 to 13). We use a Slave Flash, when a camera does no have a hotshoe on which to mount a dedicated external flash unit. However, please keep in mind that a Slave Flash and an External flash equally accomplish the task of adding more light, thus increasing the effective flash range.

So called Prime lenses are ground only in one focal length. Zoom lenses, in contrast, are ground so that they can operate over a range of focal lengths. A focal length is a mathematical calculation that determines (a) the angle of view provided by the lens. And, (b) the range at which it will focus, again another mathematical calculation, which for simplicity sake we refer to as the amount of magnification of the lens. The Panasonic FZ-35/38 camera uses a zoom lens, that, in 35mm terms, provides an effective focal length of 28mm to 506mm.

Please be aware that tyhe FZ-35/38 uses the AVCH Lite format for its video. The resolution is 1280 X 720 making it an HD video clip. For FZ-35/38 cameras sold in the USA there is no limit to the length of the video filmed. The only limiting factor is the size of the SD card used in the FZ-35/38. However, for FZ-35/38 cameras purchased in Europe and possibly other areas, the length of the video is limited to 29 minutes and 59 seconds. if you are going to be editing your video, please keep in mind that the AVCH Lite format, while superior in it resolution and video length, is more difficult to edit that other formats.

Purple fringing is not a huge problem at all, and occurs rarely. It is easily eliminated using software in your computer. so, you should always shoot at full size and resolution. There is not a considerable difference (as I noted in yesterday's post) in the LCD resolution among the three cameras you have selected. However, I would recommend that you read the very detailed FZ-35 professional review, that can be found at www.dcresource.com.

Have a great day. I will always be here for any additional questions you might have.

Last edited by mtclimber; Nov 19, 2009 at 9:16 AM.
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2009, 10:31 AM   #22

Hello Sarah

I just read some of your follow-up posts. My budget is (was ) about $200 +/- $50; hence the cameras I listed.

After reading your posts it looks like you highly recommend Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ35. The price is about $300, which is about $50 more than the Sony. You think the benefits of the panny outweigh the slight increased cost in comparison to the Sony?

Which camera do you think would be the best for my purposes if the budget is about $200-$300? (That would be after discounts, etc. so the retail price could be slightly higher since I would buy when I find them at the $200-$300 price range).

Thanks
Dach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2009, 11:59 AM   #23

Good Morning, Dach-

I always am very careful not to exceed anyone's budget figure. After all, it is their money, not mine. However, now you have placed a new question on the table, which changes things rather dramatically.

I have not seen the FZ-35 at $300, recently, however, that is not inherent to this discussion. Yes, I think that the Panasonic FZ-35 is a better camera than the Sony H-20 camera. It all a matter of the FZ-35 is an imaging tool that provides you with more zoom and more options.

However, if if video editing is a priority, you should be aware that the FZ-35 uses the AVCHD Lite video format. You can convert the video output to other more common video format, but that is another step.

Have a great day.

Sarah Joyce
Old Nov 19, 2009, 12:02 PM   #24

I saw it at the 'Hot Deals' section on this site for $295
Old Nov 19, 2009, 12:23 PM   #25

Thanks, Dach-

Sarah Joyce
Old Nov 19, 2009, 2:15 PM   #26

Hello Sarah

I have another question. In another thread you suggested class 6 SD card for some cameras. I really don't know much about that. What type would I need for the Panasonic and what would you recommend?

Thanks again for all your wonderful insight.
Old Nov 19, 2009, 4:31 PM   #27

dach-

Class 6 SD cards are used if you are doing lots of video clips or burst shooting. Otherwise, a normal garden variety SD card will work fine on the FZ-35 camera.

Sarah Joyce
Old Nov 21, 2009, 4:49 AM   #28

Hi Sarah, sorry for being late in my reply.. Actually I have just come back from a local showroom where I've tried Pany FZ35 and the SX20. The first thing i noticed was the built quality, the Canon took my attention since I was really impressed with the built quality, the Pany looked shabby, that's just my opinion though.

I tried both of them on auto modes only. I felt the shots that Pany took exhibited better color while with Canon I felt that the contrast was too high and because of that, the pics looked over sharp, the colors weren't very vivid or natural.. my question is was it down to settings or the Canon does take that sort of pics. I believe it was down to settings which i couln't exactly set... I tried Vivid or maybe some other which improved the color but still didn't match the FZ35

I noticed that video quality of both is very similar and Canon has HD, that's confirmed. I noticed that the Image stabilisation works fine on both, i didn't notice too much difference. Canon was there everytime.

I think the articulated screen, hot shoe and built quality of canon appealed to me.. .

Both took very clear pics but i thought my requirement is even more... . I need even better pictures. Which leads me to ask u another important question.

Can I try Canon G11 or Canon S90 or Canon 1000D . Can u discuss all of these.
Is the S90 obsolete model or it's still under production.

Talking about SLRs, in India, we don't hv pentax so I need to decide amongst Nikon and Canon.... Can u pls compare some of their entry level SLRs....

I know i've asked u a bunch of mixed questions but ur help is very important for me to decide the right camera...
thnx in advance
smhhasan7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2009, 8:16 AM   #29

Default The canon S-90 Camera

Good Morning, Hasan-

I am very happy indeed that you had a very good opportunity to inspect and handle the Panasonic FZ-35/38 and the Canon SX-20 cameras.

For the sake of clarity, we will again devote a single post to each of the three new cameras in question. The Canon S-90 is a brand new model. It is not an obsolete model at all. Here in the USA, the S-90 was introduced during the last week of November.

The S-90 is delightfully small and here in the USA, it is classified as an enthusiast camera. It has an F 2.0 lens at its widest aperture, decreasing to F 4.9 at its maximum zoom point. The S-90 offers 3.8X optical zoom, It does not have a hot shoe. The S-90 image quality as you can see from the attached photo is excellent.

The S-90 features Scene Modes, Macro or close-up functions as well as the usual video options, which I will not go into in detail, because you can easily get that information from a professional review.

The Canon S-90 is the kind of camera, that due to its excellent capabilities and small size, that you will most probably take everywhere with you. It has better numerically high ISO shooting capabilities than the Canon SX-20, and that matches the Panasonic FZ-35/38 cameras.

The Canon S-90 camera is a favorite of mine, as it is so convenient, capable, and easy to take with you everywhere.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Old Nov 21, 2009, 8:41 AM   #30

Default The canon G-11 Camera

Hello again, Hasan-

The Canon G-11 is substantially larger than the S-90 model. It is classified, here in the USA, as a compact, enthusiast, camera. Unlike the S-90, the G-11 does have a hot shoe where you can mount an external flash. In as much as it can take any of the Canon brand flashes, mounted on the G-11 hot shoe, the G-11 will have an amazing flash range of 40 to 50 feet. Please understand, Hasan, that while the larger Canon flashes can be used with the G-11, it is best to use them with the G-11 mounted on a tripod, as the more powerful Canon flash units outweigh the G-11 and the balance when handling the G-11 camera by hand, becomes difficult. The ideal external flash to be used on the G-11 is the Canon EX-270 flash which I show mounted on the G-11 in the attached photo.

The G-11 has 5X optical zoom, with a 28mm wide angle position on the zoom. like the S-90 which shares the same imager with the G-11, the G-11 is complete with Scene Modes, Macro, and Video capabilities. Details can be obtained from any professional review of the G-11.

Once again the size of the G-11 is one of its greatest advantages. Yes, it is larger than the S-90, that can be conveniently tucked into a pocket. A G-11 is NOT pocket size, except for very large pockets. The G-11 incorporates an articulated LCD screen which is very handy as well. All EV, ISO, and Mode selections can be made directly from the top deck of the G-11. So the controls are very well laid out on the G-11 camera.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images