Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 16, 2009, 7:52 AM   #1

Default Loking to buy a P&s and need help deciding

Hi

This is my first post here and I was directed to this forum by a friend.

I'm looking to buy a p&s camera. One of the main reasons I'm buy this camera may seem unusual - it is to take pictures of my fish in the aquarium and the other reasons are the usual social or outdoor events.

Here are a few I have in mind. I don't know much about cameras and don't know which one would be good for the above situations, but I based it on my budget and the reviews I read.

Sony Cyber-shot DSC-H20/B

Fujifilm Finepix F70EXR

Canon PowerShot SX120IS

Kodak EasyShare Z950

Kodak Easyshare Z915

Samsung HZ10W

I would appreciate some feedback based on your experience with these cameras. I'm hoping one of these cameras will be able to take good pictures of my fish. I'm also open to suggestion not on the above list, but the same price range.

Thanks
Dach is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 16, 2009, 9:13 AM   #2

dach-

Welcome to the Forum. We are glad you dropped by.

The key element is how much available light is there in your aquarium?? Fish Photos need light especially these point and shoot cameras that you have listed which need as much light as possible.

The next challenge will be setting the correct White Balance to get the colors correct. You must understand that taking photos in an aquarium environment is rather challenging. It is surely not like taking a snap of Grandma.

If you are willing to do some experimenting the best cameras on your list are the Fuji F-70EXR and the Sony H-20. You should not plan on taking the fish photos in full automatic. Those photos are going to take some manual adjustments, and are wholly dependent on the light available and the ability to set a manual white balance.

Have a great day.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2009, 10:52 AM   #3

Thanks for the response, Sarah. I was leaning towards the sony (I listed it in order of preference; based on the reviews and features).

I have a couple of questions, which may be naive so please bear with me .

1) Based on the reasons you mentioned, light being a big factor, is the feature I'm looking for in a camera is one with a good ISO setting?

2) What settings are adjusted to set manual white balance? If it done by adjusting too many settings to list here, then can you please direct me to someplace where I can read about it.

Thanks for the help.
Old Nov 16, 2009, 11:49 AM   #4

dach-

Thanks for your reply. I think we are in luck. The Sony H-20 has a very easy way (see attached photo) and it does well using that custom WB at ISO 800. You see I also own H-20 so I could easily come up with some samples for you.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Old Nov 16, 2009, 11:52 AM   #5

dach-

Here is an existing light photo (of my husband, God bless him!) using a custom WB take at ISO 800 (F 4.0 at 1/40th of a second) with the Sony H-20.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Old Nov 16, 2009, 11:58 AM   #6

Thanks a bunch, Sarah! I think I'm going to buy the Sony . Now to look for good deals...
Old Nov 16, 2009, 1:45 PM   #7

Congratulations, Dach-

I think you have made an excellent decision. Post some of those aquarium photos when you have a chance.

Sarah Joyce
Old Nov 16, 2009, 8:13 PM   #8

Default The Actual Size of the Sony H-20 Camera

For those folks wondering about how big the Sony H-20 real is here is photo sample #1 superimposed on a $1 bill.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Old Nov 16, 2009, 8:15 PM   #9

Default The Actual Size of the Sony H-20 Camera

For those folks wondering about how big the Sony H-20 real is here is photo sample #2 superimposed on a $1 bill.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Old Nov 17, 2009, 4:04 AM   #10

Hi Sarah, i also have a question.... which is the very best Point and shoot(any price range) that can give me the best image quality, sharpness, color saturation. Image quality is my main priority
smhhasan7 is offline   Reply With Quote