Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 27, 2010, 10:48 AM   #11
Super Moderator

the zs3 is a real bargain right now that is for sure. just have to ask yourself how often you would use the manual controls on a point n shoot?

if you wanted the manual controls, but didnt need the avchd video and the gps and could live with a 2.7" screen. the ZS5 is a good choice. same lens, same sensor, same controls as the ZS7.
http://www.dpreview.com/news/1001/10012604panazs5.asp
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2010, 10:54 AM   #12

Hmmm...I saw that one as well; don;t think it's in stores yet either. I noticed that the video (needed by my wife but not me) is MPEG instead of the AVCHD, which might be less of a dog to deal with in terms of using the clips elsewhere.

Need to look around for it.

Thanks.
dg27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2010, 7:54 PM   #13

dg27-

Any newly introduced camera will be initially selling at or near its MSRP price tag. You have to weigh how important the advanced features of the new model are to you, personally. If you are not going to use those new features, it makes $$ and sense to purchase the ZS-3 now at its all time low price.

Have a great day.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2010, 7:59 PM   #14

Thank you, Sarah Joyce...sage advice.

Old Jan 28, 2010, 1:15 PM   #15

Default Samsung unveils HZ35W...

I wonder whether this Samsung will compete with the Lumix DMC-ZSx line:

http://www.dpreview.com/news/1001/10...hz35whz30w.asp

Any thoughts/first impressions would be appreciated...

dg
Old Jan 28, 2010, 1:17 PM   #16
Super Moderator

features-wise the new samsung looks quite good. will have to wait for professional reviews to see how performance and image quality stacks up.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2010, 1:23 PM   #17

That's what I thought--it looks like it's aimed at the same market.
Old Jan 28, 2010, 1:39 PM   #18

dg27-

The specs of the HZ35W look good on paper. However, Samsung does not have a great record with digicams, so we will have to wait for the professional reviews.

Personally I have had a bed record with Samsung cameras, so I am not holding my breath.

Regards,

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2010, 1:56 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post

Personally I have had a bad record with Samsung cameras, so I am not holding my breath.
That's good to know; I've always heard very mixed reports leaning toward the negative on Samsung.

Thanks.

dg
Old Mar 2, 2010, 2:47 PM   #20

Default Follow-up: ZS3

I ended up getting the ZS3 for my wife. I will likely wait for the ZS7 for myself, as I really do miss the manual settings. All around I think it performs as advertised: still photos are generally very good, controls/interface are intuitive and simple to use.

One surprise: The AVCHD Lite video capabilities are outstanding (to an almost shocking extent).

Last Saturday I attended a dance performance in a small theater; the producer (a friend) had someone with a smallish camcorder on a tripod shooting, but in an inexcusable amateur moment it turned out that the guy only had one battery and it ran out 3/4 of the way thru. Totally on a lark I shot the balance with the ZS3 set to the highest resolution. I expected a hassle with the lighting, but was extremely pleased with the results. The files play in Nero, though I'm still looking for a converter to convert to .flv (at the producer's request). For the size of the unit, I thought the results were extremely good.
Off-topic (sort of) question: Is there anywhere on this forum where I can get recommendations for dedicated camcorders? I'm thinking of collaborating with this producer on some things in the future and would like to explore that possibility. I thought there was a specific branch here, but only see video discussions in the context of still cameras that have video capabilities. If someone could steer me I'd greatly appreciate it.