Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 19, 2009, 7:21 PM   #1

Default My Sony is giving out & I need a new camera

I need to replace the Sony Cyber-shot DSC-W7 that I have had for 3 or 4 years. I am constantly getting the camera shake icon (even when I set it on a table) and the pictures come out blurry unless taken outside in daylight. I also can't get it to stay in "auto" mode. My dad's cybershot is a year older and his started doing this before it completely went out.

Here are my needs &/or picture taking habits:

I pretty much keep the camera in full auto mode because I don't understand any of the settings or options.
My kids play sports (softball, flag football, basketball, and tennis) and I want to capture this.
I take indoor pictures of the kids when they are performing at school (cafeteria or gym) or at church, etc.
I take family pictures indoors at holidays, birthdays, etc.
I take vacation pictures.
When I used 35 mm film, I got a Canon Rebel that I rarely used because it was cumbersome and my pictures didn't turn out that great. (I was expecting a lot more out of it.)
I have found that even my kids' $80 cameras take good pictures outdoors. I want something that can handle indoor shots when the kids are far away and sports action.
I am open to getting 2 cameras - one for sports & programs and one for travel and putting in my purse.
I really need a camera that can take good pictures w/out me knowing what to do other than push the button.
I'm not sure what my budget will be for the camera(s). I'm more concerned with finding out which camera(s) will meet my picture taking needs & then I'll decide if I'm willing to shell out the amount of money required (and if I can convince my husband that we need it!).

I think an SLR camera would best suit my sports and kids program needs, but if taking it out of the box, putting it on auto, and pushing the button isn't going to get me good pics, it won't be worth it. I don't want to think about lenses, extra flashes, ISO, white balance, or any of that other stuff. It gives me a headache. I wish I could understand it all, though!

Thanks!!!
Rhonda
mylilsweetie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 19, 2009, 8:29 PM   #2

Digital SLR is not complicated and the auto mode works pretty well. Go down to the store to try one, you may like it!
WCKSer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2009, 9:41 PM   #3

Rhonda-

Welcome to the Forum. We're glad you dropped by.

Surely, a DSLR camera is not going to fit into your purse. My DSLR does not fit into my purse. That is certain. I am going propose a one camera solution, that costs about 50% of the cost of any entry level DSLR camera.

Meet the Sony H-20 camera. It has the best automatic mode in the compact zoom category. It also has the best built-in flash unit of any compact zoom camera. The flash range extends out to 20 feet, allowing you to photograph a family group (think of Thanksgiving next week) or to photograph a whole room, because you have plenty of flash power.

The Sony H-20 also has 10X optical zoom, allowing you to capture the kids sports. Please keep in mind that the H-20 will at best be a compromise for indoor sports. Indoor sport requires very expensive equipment. And yes, Rhonda, the Sony H-20 will indeed, fit into your purse, as well. Take a look at the Sony H-20, it might a viable camera for all you want to do, excepting indoor sports.

Have a great day tomorrow.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Last edited by mtclimber; Nov 20, 2009 at 9:19 AM.
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2009, 12:31 AM   #4
Super Moderator

Hi Rhonda,

Quote:
I want something that can handle indoor shots when the kids are far away and sports action....but if taking it out of the box, putting it on auto, and pushing the button isn't going to get me good pics, it won't be worth it. I don't want to think about lenses, extra flashes, ISO, white balance, or any of that other stuff.
I'm afraid that the camera you are looking for does not exist.

Taking indoor photos and kids' sports photos is not a zero-effort proposition. If you aren't interested in learning photography you won't get good photographs under those conditions, whatever equipment you buy. Unfortunately even if you are willing to spend the months or years necessary to learn you still won't be able to get fantastic results without some expensive equipment. What you want to do faces the same challenges as wedding and sports photographers. These people spend years learning their craft and spend a lot and a fortune respectively on their equipment.

Which is not to say that it is not possible to get a good P&S camera which will give better results than you are getting at the moment.

I think your best option at the moment is probably the Canon G11 or Sony H-20, also purchase at the same time some lowered expectations and you'll be good to go. :-)