Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 21, 2009, 11:22 AM   #11

Kelly is 100% correct-

There are an amazing number of folks out there shooting both DSLR's and compact/ultra compact cameras. I am one of them.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2009, 12:22 PM   #12
Super Moderator

yea, i would agree that most of us have a dslr kit and a compact kit. different tools for different jobs.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2009, 3:49 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
... all the camera announcements are made in that 4 to 6 week period prior to PMA to get folks jazzed up and really looking for the new cameras.
Ah -- got it. Thanks Sarah.
Kriekira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2009, 4:57 PM   #14

Quote:
... Nikon F100 and shooting film and having it digitized at processing ...
That plan makes some sense for a trekker, going on a long expedition. Who would rather pack rolls of film than spare batteries. Or hope his solar battery recharger doesn't breakdown. And I really do treasure my collection of vintage film cameras. But to be realistic the advantages of digital are overwhelming.

While they are NG as a precision color reference, and lack the cool rangefinder vibe, affordable compacts like the Canon SX120 IS, Panasonic ZR1, or Sony H20 are pretty impressive for their price point. Definitely fun and handy, if not the ultimate DSLR challenger.

As super color fidelity is your "thing", that leads me toward a clunky APS-C DSLR. Which will cost less than the G1, and still give you as good color quality as you can hope for. The kinda weird thing about DSLR cameras is that color results are more variable than with cheap compacts. As the DSLR jobs have color adjustments built-in. So it's left up to your judgement as to what camera settings yield the most accurate color.

Kelly
KCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2009, 1:46 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCook View Post
As super color fidelity is your "thing", that leads me toward a clunky APS-C DSLR. Which will cost less than the G1, and still give you as good color quality as you can hope for. Kelly
Kelly -- I'm a little confused. The G1 can be had with the good-but-not-great f/3.5-5.6 28-90 equivalent lens for $640. The highly regarded f/1.7 40mm equivalent prime lens is $400. The G1 has an articulated LCD, which is important to me. What comparable but less expensive DSLR kit/packages are there?
Kriekira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2009, 3:36 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriekira View Post
...The Panasonic G1 seems to be the best compromise for me right now. It can be had (with the very good 14-45 kit lens) for $640 from B&H. I worry about buying a camera that is already a year old -- two product iterations in the fast-flowing digital imaging field.

The GH1 is out of my range and comes with video, which I have no current use for.
Actually, IMO you have answered your question already by yourself.

What you need is the G1 - IMO. Event though I dont owe one or have handled it, I think the G1 will be what you need for what you need it for.

Luckily (for you and for me) Panasonic have NOT enclosed video into the G1 and therefor is sold at an affordable price (I hate to pay for something I don't need!), but have now in the GH1 - for double the price!

Since neither you (or I) need video, we must call ourselfs lucky that the G1 is still available.

I'm in almost the same position as you are - looking for my futur camera and I'm pretty sure that it will be the G1 - Take a look in the Panasonic / Leica dSLR-forum and check it out. Amongst others my own thread: http://forums.steves-digicams.com/pa...g1-vs-gh1.html

Best of luck!

Follow your heart!
Walter_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2009, 9:25 PM   #17

My bad, somehow I overlooked the articulated LCD requirement.
KCook is offline   Reply With Quote