Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 21, 2009, 10:43 AM   #1

Default Sony A230 or Nikon D3000

I can get a Nikon D3000 with 18-55mm lens, case, warranty and memory card for 700$
or
Sony A230 with 18-55mm & 75-300mm Lens Package for 600$

Im new to DSLR, i just want something to take pictures of my family, friends, and sometimes sports. The easier the use the better, for my Nikon I would want to upgrade to a larger lens as well. Thanks for your help!
samar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 21, 2009, 11:21 AM   #2

samar-

I went through the same decision. I finally got the Sony A-230 with the Sony 18-55mm kit lens and the Sony 55-200mm lens. I am very happy with my decision. The camera is very easy to use and it has great image quality.

I handled both cameras and did test shots with both camera. In the end the A-230 felt the most comfortable.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2009, 11:50 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by samar View Post
I can get a Nikon D3000 with 18-55mm lens, case, warranty and memory card for 700$
or
Sony A230 with 18-55mm & 75-300mm Lens Package for 600$

Im new to DSLR, i just want something to take pictures of my family, friends, and sometimes sports. The easier the use the better, for my Nikon I would want to upgrade to a larger lens as well. Thanks for your help!
The Sony 75-300 isn't a very good lens. It is soft, has a lot of chromatic aberration at the long end, and is slow to focus. It's not a good choice for shooting sports.

That is not to say that the Sony A230 is a bad choice, just the Sony 75-300. Both Sony and Nikon have excellent lenses for shooting outdoor sports, but they're expensive. There's an inexpensive alternative in the Tamron 70-300 Di LD (~$170) (not as good as thier best, but better than their comparably priced alternatives), but it's available for both Sony and Nikon, so that doens't help with your decision.

Another issue is that, if the sports you want to shoot are indoors (Basketball, Volleyball, etc.) appropriate lenses for the Sony are very expensive ($1,370 and up.) While Nikon has appropriate lenses that are less expensive, they don't autofocus on the D3000.

Either way, if you want to shoot indoor sports, the items you've narrowed your selection down to aren't very good. And if you decide on the Sony, you should not get the 75-300.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2009, 12:08 PM   #4

thanks for your advice
i won't mainly shoot sports, it will be on occasion
the 75-300mm lens comes with the package for the sony
overall, is the nikon or sony better
this is all very new to me, and want to get the best for my money, and i want it to last long
eventually i'll want a longer lens if i get the nikon, for scenic shots and family events
the guide mode on the nikon is pretty interesting, i heard there is something a little similar for the sony?
Old Nov 21, 2009, 12:25 PM   #5

They are very similar.

The Sony is available without the 75-300, and if you decide to get the Sony, that's what I recommend you do.

The biggest difference, and the most important, is how they feel to you. If you can't comfortably hold it, if you can't find the controls and commands when you need them, you'll be disappointed with your choice. Go someplace where you can try out both of them, and then go with your gut.
Old Nov 21, 2009, 1:02 PM   #6

Just buy the Sony A230 by itself for $400 and look for a longer zoom lens later. Since Sony has built in image stabilization in the body, you can use the Minolta Maxxum lens. The are a lot of them floating around for very reasonable prices.

Or, you can look at the Canon XSi 2 lens combo from Amazon.com for $655 after $200 instant rebate (factory promotion). Today is the last day for the deal. The trick is you have to find the 55-250mm lens sold by Amazon.com with the camera. Amazon also sell lens for other vendors.
WCKSer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2009, 1:17 PM   #7

Yes, the older Minolta Maxxum lenses will work with the Sony, but there aren't any that are any better than the current 75-300 for about the same price, except for the 70-210mm f/4.0 'Beercan'. The original 75-300 Macro 'Big Beercan' and the 100-300 APO are good, but they go for a lot more than a new Tamron 70-300 Di LD and they aren't a lot better.

But, as WCKSer points out, the Sony would have the advantage of stabilizing all those Minolta and third party lenses, many of which can be had for very reasonable prices. That's something that can't be said for the Nikon.
Old Nov 21, 2009, 7:47 PM   #8

thanks for the advice
so overall the sony is a better camera?
i tried them both out today, i am new to dslr so the guide mode was helpful, but maybe in time I can learn how to use the sony better
are compatible larger lenses for the nikon very expensive?
which is a better quality camera for the price...thanks again
Old Nov 21, 2009, 8:13 PM   #9

Sony a230
anthony_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2009, 8:46 PM   #10

I agree 100% with anthony_b-

My choice is the Sony A-230. Here is a no flash, existing light only photo from the A-230.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Last edited by mtclimber; Nov 21, 2009 at 8:51 PM.
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote