Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 23, 2009, 10:27 PM   #1

Default Nikon p90 or Kodak Z980...or something else?

Hi all! I am new to this forum, but have read and re-read posts many times trying to decide which superzoom camera to buy. Here is some background on what I would like to use the camera for. I would like to take pics of my kids, family, vacations, etc. I need a camera that shoots good action shots, since my kids are always moving, and need a quick response when pressing the photo button. I also take a lot of pictures in a dance studio (not so great flourescent lighting, kids moving, etc). I would also like to be able to get quality outdoor shots of birds, and distant wildlife, since I have alot of animals roaming in the woods near my house. The zoom sounds perfect for this. Also- many times when we are on vacation, I'll see something in the distance that I WISH I had the zoom for!! I am not interested in an SLR because of the cost, and the trouble changing/carrying the lenses. I like the ease of the all in one superzoom idea.

I am not an expert- but I am very open and able to take alot of time reading and learning how to use the manual features on the camera to get the most out of it. But with that in mind, I would like the camera to be able to take decent shots in the auto setting as well.

I hope thats enough background for you to help me. Right now, I have found the Nikon P90 on sale at our local camera store for 299. I found the Kodak Z980 (which I haven't been able to try out) for 379. I'm a bit concerned with buying the Kodak now since its being discontinued. I don't like the Canons- my husband has had lots of trouble with their focusing at work. Sooo.... any thoughts? Should I pay the extra for the Kodak? Or will I be happy with the Nikon? Or is there something else I haven't considered?

I am looking to purchase in the next couple days in order to get that deal for the Nikon- if that is the avenue I go in. All help is much appreciated!!!! Thank you in advance!!!
Sheri
SheriK is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 23, 2009, 10:56 PM   #2

Sheri-

Welcome to the Forum. We're glad you dropped by.

Please tell us a bit more about those dance studio photos. Can you use flash?

That is the only question we have to resolve.

Have a great day and a Happy thankgiving.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2009, 12:00 AM   #3

Hi Sarah. Yes- I can use flash. Many times the pics I have taken with my "cheapo" (and I mean cheap AND old LOL) camera come out very orange. There are a ton of windows in the room- so on a bright day I have noticed the auto flash didn't deploy. The studio pics are only a small portion of my use for the camera...so its not a HUGE concern, but I would like to be able to get the best shots I can. Thank you!!
Old Nov 24, 2009, 10:33 AM   #4

Sheri-

The Kodak Z980 with its hot shoe and external flash would make those dance studio photos possible. However, you must keep in mind that the Koadk camera is more expensive and the external flash would add to the expense as well.

The Nikon P-90 is essentially the same camera as the Kodak Z980 camera but without the hot shoe. In fact, they are both produced in the very same Chinese factory and have nearly identical image quality. Therefore, I would lean more toward the Nikon P-90 camera based on the lower investment and the vertually the same image quality.

Have a great day and a Happy Thanksgiving.

Sarah Joyce
Old Nov 24, 2009, 11:33 AM   #5

I was thinking the same thing myself...and may end up going the Nikon route....I will definitely be back for help with the camera as I meet challenges and post pics. I'll let you know when the purchase is made! Thank you!!
Old Nov 24, 2009, 12:38 PM   #6

Thanks a lot, Sheri-

I am glad that we were able to assist you.

Have a great day and a Happy Thanksgiving.

Sarah Joyce