Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 27, 2009, 8:26 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
Bingo!

Yay! Thank you and bless you for being patient with my utter newbishness.
dansamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2009, 8:26 PM   #22

You might also want to consider that the Sony and Pentax have sensor shift image stabilization in the camera body, which means that those large aperture telephoto lenses from Tamron and Sigma will be stabilized on those camera bodies. Not so for the Canon. That won't be very important for Karate, but it might for plays.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2009, 10:00 PM   #23

Yeah, I am thinking Sony or Pentax for the in-body IS vs the lens-based IS. I realize that a valid argument could be made for the superiority of lens-based IS, but I looking for a lower expense and a general all-purpose cam with the ability to also take a few shots in more challenging conditions (plays, karate). I am not looking for pro looking SI cover shots. Just family scrapbook/album-type stuff. I think the in-body IS will give me an improvement over no IS at all, while still keeping my overall expenditures to the level of "reasonable".
Old Dec 3, 2009, 3:01 PM   #24

Gah! My local Walmart has discounted the Nikon D40 down to <$325 with the kit lens. I may go with it for a starter camera and once I figure out how to take a good picture without using "Auto" all the time, purchase another. I don't think I'll buy any other lenses for it because that will give me the freedom to ditch it with very little guilt and change systems. Decisions, decisions.......
Old Dec 3, 2009, 3:25 PM   #25

The downside of that strategy is that a lot of what you learn you'll have to unlearn when you upgrade. The D40 has a lot of 'handicaps' when compared to the other dSLRs you've discussed. You may develop some bad habits while trying to work within the confines of the D40.
Old Dec 3, 2009, 3:39 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
The downside of that strategy is that a lot of what you learn you'll have to unlearn when you upgrade. The D40 has a lot of 'handicaps' when compared to the other dSLRs you've discussed. You may develop some bad habits while trying to work within the confines of the D40.
Thanks for the insight. I didn't realize that it was a handicapped camera. I'm still leaning Pentax vs Sony. And still haven't decided yet.
Old Dec 3, 2009, 4:24 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by dansamy View Post
Thanks for the insight. I didn't realize that it was a handicapped camera.
Compared to the Sony and Pentax you're considering it is.
Old Dec 9, 2009, 1:20 AM   #28

Ok, I just found out that we'll be getting a (small) Christmas bonus. So, I am thinking of buying the K-x. The single lens kit is down to $550. The 2 lens (50-200) kit is $650. The 2 lens (55-300) kit is $720. Which of these would be the best option?
Old Dec 9, 2009, 6:12 AM   #29

Neither of those telephoto zoom lenses would be appropriate for plays and Karate. If you want to get a telephoto zoom just to play around with, get the cheaper one so you won't be out the extra money when you buy the lens you need later.
Old Dec 9, 2009, 2:51 PM   #30

Would the kit lenses work adequately for your average family event pics? (Vacation, Christmas parties, etc) What lens(es) would work well for Christmas plays? They are held in the church's main sanctuary and I usually get a seat about 3 rows from the front.