Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 24, 2009, 6:07 AM   #1

Default Recommend a point and shoot after no camera for 3 years

Exactly 3 years ago I got a Canon A710 IS. I bought it for $300 almost immediately after release because I needed a camera and it was everything I wanted: full manual, 7MP sensor, 6x optical zoom, image stabilization, good controls/buttons, took AA batteries, and 60fps video (for analyzing my golf swing). I could even overlook the fact the LCD only had 115k pixels because it's not like I was going to view pics on the LCD most of the time.

Fast forward 6 months and I hardly used it because my Sony Ericsson cellphone had an excellent camera that, most importantly, took great pictures in low light. A friend was interested in getting a camera so I sold my A710 IS to him for $200 (possibly $150).

Last month, I put away that Sony Ericsson cellphone for an iPhone 3GS, and while the phone is a huge upgrade, the%

Last edited by qlat; Nov 24, 2009 at 6:20 AM.
qlat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 24, 2009, 9:09 AM   #2

qlat-

A very good under $200 point and shoot camera that offers a lot of features (excellent built-in flash, 10X optical zoom, video clips etc) and that has some low light capability is the Canon SX-120.

In the under $250 range you have the Sony H-20 with HD video clips and 10X optical zoom. Both cameras are fairly small and convenient, but are not the size to slip into a jeans pocket.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2009, 6:40 AM   #3

My Dad bought the highly rated Panasonic Lumix DMC- ZR1. You can optically zoom while you shoot HD video (720p) and it has good image quality with photos.

Abes of Maine has it for a really good price too, about $230-235.
NewSD780IS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2009, 10:05 AM   #4

I actually own a ZS1 myself. The ZS-series and the ZR-series of Panasonic cameras have a very small, and very weak built-in flash unit, which degrades their indoor performance substantially, giving them an effective flash range of only 6 to 8 feet.

If indoor performance and image quality is high on your priority list, perhaps you should think about purchasing a slave flash to assist those cameras. I use a DigiSlave-3000 that can tilt, and if you select the correct accessory bracket, can also swivel. However, you must keep in mind that is an added expense and something else to carry with you.

Have a great day and a Happy Thanksgiving.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote