Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 24, 2009, 10:08 AM   #1

Default Fugi F70exr vs. Viewfinder Travel Camera

Ive been looking for a camera to use on a 3 week trip next summer, which will include some interior cathedral shots. My wife has an older Cannon elph 28mm 4x zoom but I was thinking a longer zoom would be better. I had zeroed in on the Fugi F70exr 27-270mm with good low light reviews.

Then I used my sons Panasonic older super zoom, 12x I think, to take pictures during our grandkids soccer games and found the reflections on the LCD screen make it impossible to see during some sun angles. So maybe a viewfinder would be better?

The Panasonic FZ35 has good reviews and favorable comments on this site and I like the small size and weight. I compared it and the Olympus super zoon in the store and the Olympus felt heavy while the Panasonic was about right. I also like the ability to add filters.

Then I came across a Kodak Z1012 on a clearance sale for $199 a year older, about the same weight as the FZ35, good reviews, mention of a good viewfinder. Wow, a $130 or more dollar difference. What to do?

Are all viewfinders about equal? (The Panasonic viewfinder is listed as 0.20, 230k pixels, Kodak just says high resolution, 202k pixels.) Is there perhaps an anti-reflective coating on the Fugi that wasnt on my sons LCD a pocket-able camera might be more convenient? Is the Kodak close to the photo quality of the Panasonic? Some comments mention a Kodak high repair rate, is this a concern? Still so many questions.

Or maybe I should wait till spring and see what new models come out? Id rather have the new camera to use/practice during the Christmas holidays but still have a good 6 months till the trip.

Thanks for all the good ideas in your posts, I've learned a lot.
wlpitcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 24, 2009, 10:46 AM   #2

wlpitcher-

Welcome to the Forum. We're glad you dropped by.

The comparison of the Kodak Z-1012 camera and the FZ-35 camera is a logical one in view of the possible savings. However, you must keep in mind that the basic difference is in the two cameras is:

(1) The Panasonic FXZ-35 has a 28 mm wide angle position availabe on that zoom lens, and the Kodak Z-1012 does not.

(2) The Panasonic offers 18X optical zoom, while the Kodak Z-1012 offers just 12X optical zoom.

It sound like you are using the LCD screen to frame your photos. That is really not necessary, as both the Panasonic FZ-35 and the Kodak Z-1012 have very good EVT's or electronic viewfinders.

The Pansonic FZ-35 was released in October so spring will probably not bring a replacement for the FZ-35 camera. The Kodak Z-1012, while a very good camera, has been discontinued by Kodak.

I would say that the Panasonic FZ-35 is the stronger contender. The Fuji F-70EXR is a somewhat smaller camera with no viewfinder of any kind at all. It is a fairly complex camera that takes more than the average learning curve. Since you really desire a viewfinder, I would eliminate it from consideration.

Have a great day and a Happy Thanksgiving.

Sarah Joyce

Last edited by mtclimber; Nov 24, 2009 at 10:49 AM.
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2009, 6:16 PM   #3

Hi Sarah,

Thanks for the reply, your posts are the ones that have helped me the most so far.

One big question I'm rethinking is if the viewfinder is necessary. If not, a smaller camera which may fit in a pocket is possible. I was leaning toward the viewfinder because of my experience with reflection in the screen while taking soccer pictures.

I read your post about the Cannon S90 you're getting. That camera doesn't have a viewfinder so maybe I'm wrong about needing one.

Have a safe and happy Thanksgiving.

Art
wlpitcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2009, 10:32 PM   #4

Art-

I returned the Canon S90 due to the outdoor performance of the S-90. The LCD was not really as usable as I had hoped. There was too much glare and too many reflections. Add in the lens distortion at wide angle, and I decided that it was time to return the camera.

So, I for one surely, am in favor of a viewfinder. It is a definite advantage on any camera, IMO. Keep in mind that most of the so called, "pocket zoom" cameras have only 7 to 12X optical zoom. The real advantage of the FZ-35 (18X) and even the Kodak Z-1012 (12X and I own two of them) cameras is that you get the needed zoom plus a viewfinder so you can track a moving subject nicely.

If you are at ease with just roughly pointing your camera at what you think is the photo area, because of glare on the LCD, then perhaps a pocket zoom will workfor you. But taking photos of fast moving sports will not be possible.

Have a great day and a Happy Thanksgiving.

Sarah Joyce

Last edited by mtclimber; Nov 25, 2009 at 10:35 PM.
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote