Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 24, 2009, 12:55 PM   #1

Default Buying DSLR with $1,000 or less would like 2 lense package

I'm buying a DSLR camera for my wife and would like to get an outfit with 2 lenses. She mostly shots photos of Dogs, italian greyhounds who move very quickly. With her standard camera she tend to get blurring and movment because shutter speed is too slow. Any ideas on the best camera outfit for the money would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Chris
rocktopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 24, 2009, 1:05 PM   #2
Administrator

Under $1K for a two lens kit, huh?

My suggestion:

Sony A500 with 18-55mm kit lens for $799:

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/...52921665970151

You'll find the same price at some of the dealers selling Sony products.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...P_Digital.html

Then, add a Tamron 55-200mm f4-5.6 for $174.95 (before rebates):

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc..._Di_II_LD.html
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2009, 1:11 PM   #3

Chris,

There are two issues with 'blurring' - one you have already identified - shutter speed being too slow. But, there's a second, more insedious cause - focus system of camera/lens not being able to keep up with the subject.

Greyhounds, as you know, are fast moving subjects. Please provide some additional information on the shooting situation - are you talking about racing? Or just pet dogs running around in the back yard?
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2009, 1:16 PM   #4

Just pets running around back yard.
rocktopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2009, 2:14 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocktopher View Post
Just pets running around back yard.
OK. In reality this can be more difficult than the races. The reason being the dogs will tend to move more irratically.

The specs on the A500 Jim mentioned look very good. But we don't yet know how well the camera does at tracking moving subjects.

One option from Canon is:
Canon T1i ($719) plus canon 55-250 ($250) - $970 total.

You should note - in BOTH kits (sony and Canon) the lenses included aren't particularly fast to focus. That's the problem with budget lenses. It get's a bit pricey to get fast-focusing lenses. Something like Canon's 70-200 f4 ($600) is ideal - pro grade optics and pro grad AF system.

However your wife will still be able to get some good shots with the other lenses. You/she just need to realize that the camera/lens need a second to lock and track the subject and that sudden direction/speed changes are likely to result in out-of-focus shots.

I would STRONGLY suggest you take your wife to a store and have her try out the A500 and T1i. One camera may feel better to her in how it feels and the controls. Ergonomics are a very personal thing. One person may find the ergonomics of the A500 to their liking and another person may prefer the T1i a third person may not have a preference.

Given the speed of the subjects, I'd be hesitant about recommending entry level Nikon cameras below D90 (they have stripped down AF systems) or any of the Oly or Pentax offerings. All are good for kids playing in the backyard but greyhounds are a completely different thing. I have reservations about the A500 because the prior generation Sony dslrs were poor performing in the AF tracking. And the A500 is a bit of an unproven performer in that regard. My advice is - if the A500 feels and handles better then go ahead with it. But if it's a toss up I would give the edge to the T1i because it and Canon have a better proven track record for action photography. But, I should also point out that I am a Canon shooter, just as Jim is a Sony shooter. So, we're both a bit biased.
Old Nov 24, 2009, 2:39 PM   #6

Chris-

Welcome to the Forum. We're glad you dropped by.

It would seem to me that any of the entry level DSLR cameras would be able to cover your requirements. Sony has an A-330 two lens kit.

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/...52921665879084

There is a Nikon D-3000 two lens kit.

www.tristatecamera.com/lookat.php?refid=8&sku=NIKD30002LK

There ia a Pentax K-2000 two lens kit can.

www.buydig.com/shop/product.aspx?omid=122&utm_id=17&ref=pricegrabber&u tm_source=PriceGrabber&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign =PKK2000KT2&sku=PKK2000KT2

There is a Canon XS two lens kit

www.buydig.com/shop/product.aspx?omid=113&ref=dealtime&utm_id=9&utm_so urce=Dealtime&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=CNDRXSK1 855&sku=CNDRXSK1855

However there may be another option. That option is the Canon SX120 ($199) that has 10X optical zoom and full manual as well as automatic controls. Thus, since most of your wife's photos seem to be outdoors, your wife just puts the Canon SX-120 into Shutter priority and sets the shutter speed to 1/250th or above, while leaving the camera in Auto ISO. Now every shot will be taken at 1/250th of a second which should put an end to the blurring and movement problems.

Have a great day and a Happy Thanksgiving.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2009, 4:27 PM   #7

Sarah,

Any chance you can show some photos for how the SX120, K-2000, D-3000 and A-330 do tracking subjects moving as fast as greyhounds playing? I'm particularly interesting in seeing how the sx120 photos of fast moving subjects look.

Thanks!
Old Nov 24, 2009, 5:33 PM   #8

Hi there, John

I am always happy to help out- Perhaps I can get some photos of people rushing to the Thanksgiving dinning room table!

All kidding aside, John, I will work on getting you some samples.

Have a great day and a Happy Thanksgiving.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2009, 5:45 PM   #9

Hi, so you have IGgys - we have 6 running around here. My wife use to show, but everyone is in retirement. We even had one - Simon (named for Simon Templer - had a halo on his head when he young) invited to Crufts.

The question is, does your wife take pictures in the show ring or do you run in agility, lure coursing or just around the backyard?

I am going to assume that you are looking for an entry level system. I am going to suggest Pentax for consideration, for several reasons. The price point - especially with the 2 lens kit packages that Pentax is offering. And, I think that the new KX body, Pentax has introduced a couple of months ago as an entry level camera, should be able to do the job.

Obviously you can purchase a kit (body and usually a 18-55 lens) as a kit and extra lenses as needed. Pentax has a 2 lens kit (KX body, 18-55 and either a 50-200 or 55-300 set of lenses) in a package deal topping our at around $800 +/- (actually they appear to be so popular that they are on back order).

I know the argument that Pentax's auto focus system is not as fast as others (Canon and Nikon), but with the new KX there are improvements that have been made, that others have found to be very good - in some cases for birds in flight. In terms of freezing movement, the KX has a very good set of higher ISO speeds (the faster the ISO speed the more sensitive the digital sensor is, at the expense of digital noise) and thus you can use the faster shutter speeds to catch and freeze the Iggy in motion. The noise at the higher ISO speeds has been found to be well handled.

As you know IGgys are not true greyhounds, but an old breed (over 5,000 years old) unto themselves. They are small and fast like their cousins - but can turn on a dime (with 11 cents in change), that the larger greyhounds and whippets - just can't pull off. They also run in packs - or the Iggy pack (ours challenges the local coyotes to jump the wall and come over to "play"). If you are running agility or lure coursing, its a fixed course so you can pre-position yourself knowing where they are going to run. If its in the back yard - well, all bets are off, and you probably know the course that they favor. The question is what are they chasing (mouse, rabbit, lizard or bird) and just what are they going to do...

Overall at this price point, any camera system is going to have weak points.

http://cameradeals.1001noisycameras....-preorder.html

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...=REG&q=1&Q=add

http://www.1001noisycameras.com/2009...-dc-watch.html

hope that helps...
interested_observer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2009, 5:46 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post

All kidding aside, John, I will work on getting you some samples.
Great. Please be sure the subject is something that moves as fast and eratic as a greyhound playing. Very different than a child or slower dog. And very, very different than stage actors who aren't traveling through focal planes like the dogs will.

Look forward to seeing your shots.