Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 25, 2009, 8:32 AM   #1

Default Want long zoom pocket cam - ZS3, SX200, S630?

Right now I have a Canon SD700IS and S2 IS. I primarily use the 700 but for zoom bring along the S2. Now I see there's pocket cameras out there that have the zoom so I'm thinking about getting rid of both and just having one camera that can do it all.

HD video would be nice but not absolutely necessary. So regarding long zooms in a size that can fit in my pocket, I've been reading about the Panasonic DMC-ZS3, Canon SX200, and Nikon S630 (which my brother is happy with). I'm leaning toward the ZS3 for the better video and smaller depth but would really like to see one in person to compare against my current camera size. I can't find any local stores though.

Would you recommend one of these for me or is there another that would be better?
Thanks!

dcwebman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 25, 2009, 9:58 AM   #2

dcwebman-

I own and use the Canon SX-120, the Sony H-20, and the Panasonic ZS1 cameras. Each has their strong points and their advantages.

In as much as you mentioned the Panasonic ZS3, and I own the ZS1, let me share with you some observastions about these cameras which are identical with small exceptions. The Panasonic ZS are basically automatic cameras, with very few adjustments. Their outside image quality is very good. Their inside image quality is the pits because these two cameras are equipped with very tiny, weak built-in flash units. The effectively provide a flash range of only 6 to 8 feet. I regularly use a slave flash with my ZS1 to give it an acceptable flash range.

However, that is an additional expense and another thing to carry around. It defeats the pocket size capability.

Have a great day and a Happy Thanksgiving.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2009, 10:19 AM   #3

Sarah,
Thanks for the reply. I saw some people complain about the ZS cameras flash but didn't realize it was that limited. Probably not much worse than my 700 though. Actually the very few adjustments is perfect for me. I've had cameras with all adjustments possible and just never used them.

No one really makes the perfect camera you want at a particular time with the features you want.
Jeff
Old Nov 25, 2009, 10:22 AM   #4

You are of course very correct, dcwebman-

However, I did want you to know the characteristics of the ZS1/ZS3 cameras before you pulled out the credit card or plunked down some hard earned cash.

Sarah Joyce
Old Nov 25, 2009, 4:05 PM   #5

I did find a ZS3 locally at Fry's and it was on sale a bit. Before that I ran across the Fuji F70/F72 and that looked intriguing but since I plan on getting rid of my old Hi-8 camcorder, video was going to be a higher priority and the Fuji just didn't have that, especially for a newer camera.

So I bit the bullet and bought the ZS3. Now I can get rid of all my other cameras. Thanks for the advice.
Jeff
Old Nov 25, 2009, 5:05 PM   #6

Congratulations, Jeff-

Enjoy your new Panasonic ZS3, and post some photos when you have a chance.

Happy Thanksgiving.

Sarah Joyce