Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 27, 2009, 12:33 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by kusfamily View Post
We are recreational camera users. Outdoor pictures are generally of wildlife or our pets. Indoor pictures are of family events. We currently have a Minolta Maxxum 300Si with a AF 35-70 lens and a APO AF 100-300 lens. We would like to purchase a digital camera to avoid the hassels of purchasing film and film processing. At first we were considering a Nikon P90-14megapixel and 24x zoom. Then we discovered that our lens' will work on the Sony Alpha dslr cameras. We would like to include your expert advice in our decision. Would the Sony provide significantly better results and if so what model sony? Is 500 series that much better than the 200 or 300 series? Thank you in advance for your reply.
Photographic quality is mostly determined by lens quality and the photographer. I use a Sony a900 with the Zeiss 24-70mm lens and a Sony a350, with Zeiss 16-80. The a350 is for the swivel live view when that is needed. The a900 is for producing extremely high quality images only possible with the 24.5 MP sensor. Any Sony from the least expensive to the a700 will produce similar results with the best glass. If you want a super rugged body, go for the a700. If you only want hiqh quality images, choose the alpha that has the features you want.
jackinkc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2009, 12:59 PM   #12

I think the resolution between the two cameras are the same, the A230 shows more of a yellowish tone to it
anthony_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2009, 1:18 PM   #13

anthony_b-

You hit the nail on the head! That is exactly what I feel as well. When I compare the images from the A-230 against the A-500. And please keep in mind that I was most careful to use the same flash, adjusted the same way, and the very same lens for both photos. Therefore, in that comparison we are dealing with the individual characteristics of each DSLR camera body.

My Goodness, why can't things be more simple and less complex like a Pansonic FZ-35! Have a great day.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2009, 1:33 PM   #14

I could actually see the difference between the 230 and the 500, and I think it was more then just the color interpitation, I thought you could see much more detail like his hair. The 500 shot really showed his eye brow and facial hair much more clearly. Nice camera
Old Nov 27, 2009, 2:07 PM   #15

Thanks, Phyxius-

That makes the effort to create those photos, even on Thanksgiving, worthwhile.

Have a great day.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2009, 3:22 PM   #16

You might notice a bit more detail becuase the a500 picture appears to be brighter. Like I mentioned before, due to the yellow-ish complexion some of the finer details may be lost.
anthony_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2009, 2:09 PM   #17

mtclimber

Thank you so very much fortaking the time to take the pictures and show us the difference between the two cameras. Special thanks to your "model".

Kusfamily
kusfamily is offline   Reply With Quote