Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 26, 2009, 1:10 AM   #1

Default What camera should I buy?

Hey guys & gals, we're looking for some help.

Since '05 we've been taking pictures with an HP r717. Don't get me wrong it has got us to 2009, but it's never been all that amazing. Regardless it was a fun camera to play with along the way with alot of manual settings to dabble in.

It's still going strong but we'd really like to upgrade. Plus we both have a growing interest in photography. Nothing in particular, but we do have a 2 year old daughter growing up far too fast and feel that we're missing alot of moments.

Eventually we'd love to take quality portraits of her, us, and just about anything else that captures us. We'd really like something that could expand our skills and have fun along the way.

So far we're looking toward something along the lines of the sony h20, but we'd really like to jump towards something like the sony A330 it's on sale right now for $529CAD or the A230 for $429CAD.

We're just not sure that unless we get serious with portraits we would see the benefits of a DSLR. Would we in general picture taking? For now I think our top priority would be something that could 'do it all'. It doesn't have to be amazing, but we'd certainly like to see an improvement from the r717. Hopefully we haven't lost any of you guys, thanks for the help!

Tylor

Last edited by onedayaway; Nov 26, 2009 at 1:13 AM.
onedayaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 26, 2009, 10:07 AM   #2

Tylor-

Welcome to the Forum. We're glad you dropped by.

The Sony H-20 offers a lot of bang for the buck. It has HD video, it has the best built-in flash unit in the compact zoom market niche, it offers 10X of optical zoom, and it is very campact in size, allowing it to go into a large pocket or purse with ease.

The Sony A-230 or the A-330 are able to handle a wider range of photo situations, but they are also more expensive and neither of them offers video. If you want to take photos under very low light conditions without flash, that is where these cameras triumph. Each comes with just the Sony 18-55mm kit lens which covers the range of a common point and shoot camera. Therefore you are going to want at least one other lens and a good external flash unit. That will increase your investment.

The difference between the A-230 and the A-330 is that the A-330 has Live View enabled. Live View is when you use the camera's LCD screen to frame and shoot your photos in place of the optical viewfinder. Lots of people who don't need Live View, save some money, and purchase the A-230, a very competent DSLR camera.

Please remember that when you use the optical viewfinder, you are looking directly through the camera lens. The view is bright, sharp, and very exact. So your decision comes down to a matter of budget and size. The DSLR cameras, such as the A-230 and A-330 are physically much larger and also represent a larger investment as well. The H-20 is a great little camera and it is conveniently compact and small and it will cost a lot less. If you purchase either camera you will move ahead with your photography. However, if you purchase one of the DSLR models the learning curve will be steeper as there are many more features to make use of in taking your photos. A course at your local Community College could also help with that learning curve. i have attached a no flash photo sample from the A-230 DSLR camera.

Have a great day and a Happy Thanksgiving.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Last edited by mtclimber; Nov 26, 2009 at 10:11 AM.
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2009, 12:51 PM   #3

It just seems that if we're serious about learning some photograpy skills and shooting some portrait shots of our daughter a entry level dslr would be a much better investment. Cost really doesn't bother me when can add as we go, as I said the hp is still working for us and got us this far. The only thing I would like to see is a decent auto system on our next camera because sometimes with the little one I just don't think the time would be there to get the camera all dialed in. Also something that can take us from p&s to dslr as we learn to use all it has to offer. We're actually very interested in looking for some local college classes.

I'm not looking to be a professional, but I'd certainly like to take some shots I can say I'm proud of!
Old Nov 26, 2009, 1:25 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by onedayaway View Post
It just seems that if we're serious about learning some photograpy skills and shooting some portrait shots of our daughter a entry level dslr would be a much better investment. Cost really doesn't bother me when can add as we go, as I said the hp is still working for us and got us this far. The only thing I would like to see is a decent auto system on our next camera because sometimes with the little one I just don't think the time would be there to get the camera all dialed in. Also something that can take us from p&s to dslr as we learn to use all it has to offer. We're actually very interested in looking for some local college classes.

I'm not looking to be a professional, but I'd certainly like to take some shots I can say I'm proud of!
Sounds like you're looking for something in a bridge camera. Olympus, Canon, Nikon, Fujifilm, Sony all make a good one. I happen to like my Olympus SP590UZ. http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_se...p?product=1450 but REALLY prefer my SP570UZ but, it's discontinued.
My Gallery

--
Hebrews 13:3
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2009, 3:44 PM   #5

onedayaway-

Amazon is running a special today (Thanksgiving) on the Sony A-230 or the A-330 two lens kits. Both are priced at $(US) 599.00, which is a good deal. If you like Live View (using the LCD screen to frame your photos) then the A-330 is your choice. The A-230 does not have a Live View capability.

Sarah Joyce
Old Nov 26, 2009, 4:10 PM   #6

Sounds like a pretty good deal although the shipping to canada would probably kill me. lol
My brother works a best buy so we hope he can get a half decent price on whatever we choose.
I just seems like a DSLR could really take some great photo once we had played with things enough.
Old Nov 26, 2009, 8:10 PM   #7

Well just for an update we ending up pulling the trigger on the brown A330 today!
Old Nov 26, 2009, 8:46 PM   #8

onedayaway-

Congratulations on your new A-330 DSLR camera! I know that you will enjoy it a lot and will use it a a vehicle increase your photo knowledge. Post some photos when you get a chance, and remember that we are always here to help you!

Sarah Joyce
Old Nov 26, 2009, 9:42 PM   #9

If that battery ever charges!

Got it home and the battery was 'exhausted' Reading through the owners manual it says it takes about 250 minutes to fully charge.

We paid $529 CAD for the camera and they threw in a $60 lowepro camera bag.

My photos will not be post worthy considering the level of skill I've seen around here!
Old Nov 27, 2009, 1:37 AM   #10

Here's our first few hours with our new A330.. As you can tell she was dying to get pictures of her engagement ring she received this summer. Please keep in mind we're total noobs. We tried to get pictures with her ring so many times it's unreal. To say we're extremely impressed with this camera would be a total understatement.