Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 27, 2009, 9:58 PM   #1

Default Aiptek Action HD or have I picked the wrong camera?

I'm looking for a camcorder that works well in moderate to low light conditions well, for over the shoulder video reviews and filming people in rooms with standard lighting.

I'm looking to get a similar set up to camjock's as I saw in an earlier post, it surprised me when I saw that the GVS has an external mic jack since none of the retail websites list that as a feature.

I've been looking into the Aiptek Action HD because of it's price, features and size but I've heard that in low light conditions it doesn't produce very good quality video.

Have I picked the wrong camcorder to purchase? I'd like to get some opinions and recommendations of other camcorders (I'd like to avoid Sony because of their propriety memory card format).
OrenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 28, 2009, 12:38 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrenG View Post
I'm looking for a camcorder that works well in moderate to low light conditions well, for over the shoulder video reviews and filming people in rooms with standard lighting.

I'm looking to get a similar set up to camjock's as I saw in an earlier post, it surprised me when I saw that the GVS has an external mic jack since none of the retail websites list that as a feature.

I've been looking into the Aiptek Action HD because of it's price, features and size but I've heard that in low light conditions it doesn't produce very good quality video.

Have I picked the wrong camcorder to purchase? I'd like to get some opinions and recommendations of other camcorders (I'd like to avoid Sony because of their propriety memory card format).
I forgot to mention this isn't the Aiptek Action HD, it's the Aiptek Action HD GVS.
Old Nov 28, 2009, 11:24 AM   #3

the GVS:

will work okay, my signiture shows, exactly the info of " A PC LOW BUDGET ECONOMY HYBRID CAMCORDER"

What do you concider to be a low level scenery?

Midnight, locked in a Completely dark room no signs of a window?

or sitting down in a local Diner, able to read clearly the menu,and specials.

If I add one more, a measuem, or theater.

I still choose the Diner, because the amount of light thrown.

You'll need Ample lighting, to film, blog and the controls are not a true, workable one at that.

I own, and I am happy, but within time it will work or not for you.
a Swival screen wins hands down. but I have to now toss this in, $$$ is a issue the Kodak zi8 will be the better but less controls.

You did not order as you are looking for feedback. if you ordered and then looking for feedback, then you deffently need to make a better decision, next time.

to many people look for cams theday they go away.

research, ask questions, decide Holidays are here, companies love people like you LOl, not at you.

I will not recommend, not my dough, I will suggest, research sample decide.

The Aiptek Action HD GVS is a powerful camcorder, that will do the job, in the right hands of a user.
Old Nov 28, 2009, 1:33 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishycomics View Post
the GVS:

will work okay, my signiture shows, exactly the info of " A PC LOW BUDGET ECONOMY HYBRID CAMCORDER"

What do you concider to be a low level scenery?
A white walled room with incandescent or fluorescent lighting with the windows closed.

The current Kodak crap digital camera I have now struggles with low light.

Quote:
I own, and I am happy, but within time it will work or not for you.
a Swival screen wins hands down. but I have to now toss this in, $$$ is a issue the Kodak zi8 will be the better but less controls.

You did not order as you are looking for feedback. if you ordered and then looking for feedback, then you deffently need to make a better decision, next time.
Nope, I haven't bought it yet as I'm not sure. I've been looking at either this one or a Sanyo Xacti VPC-CG10 but I'm looking for a camera with an external mic jack.

These features are an absolute must:

HD quality video
External Mic Jack
5-10 mega pixels
SDHC compatible
Tripod mount (you'd be surprised by how many that do not have this)
works decent in low light

Last edited by OrenG; Nov 28, 2009 at 1:37 PM.
Old Nov 28, 2009, 7:45 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrenG View Post

HD quality video
External Mic Jack
5-10 mega pixels
SDHC compatible
Tripod mount (you'd be surprised by how many that do not have this)
works decent in low light
the GVS:
Stills are 5 mb default, today they are no longer interpolated. or are they chinavision.com modified to upt to 12megapixals. and the cam can go as low as 3 meg. but when in hand , on the control it will only be 5 mb , no other setting, unliess modified.
Hd video, HD1080P it is not, it is HD720P 1280x720, highest you can film will be 1440x1080 4:3 ratio. not 16:9. unless you edit and change 4:3-to 16:9
Ext mic is Mono, not sterio, but internal issterio, other cams you have gain control, not the GVS. its good, can be better, the sound is as good as the circuitry.
its not sony. will do mmc/sd

tripod as long as you are gentle, the tripod will not fail.

guess it is only me here LOl, let others jump in
Old Nov 28, 2009, 9:26 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishycomics View Post
the GVS:
Stills are 5 mb default, today they are no longer interpolated. or are they chinavision.com modified to upt to 12megapixals. and the cam can go as low as 3 meg. but when in hand , on the control it will only be 5 mb , no other setting, unliess modified.
Hd video, HD1080P it is not, it is HD720P 1280x720, highest you can film will be 1440x1080 4:3 ratio. not 16:9. unless you edit and change 4:3-to 16:9
Ext mic is Mono, not sterio, but internal issterio, other cams you have gain control, not the GVS. its good, can be better, the sound is as good as the circuitry.
its not sony. will do mmc/sd

tripod as long as you are gentle, the tripod will not fail.

guess it is only me here LOl, let others jump in
The specs I would really like to see are as such (this isn't for the GVS, but for a camcorder that might exist out there)

True HD video
SDHC compatible
Stereo mic ext port
Night shot

Plus all the regular stuff that usually comes with decent camcorders (data and a/v cables, chargers, etc)

Does anyone know of a camcorder finder page like cnets that's more elaborate? Cnets is very basic and brings up expensive studio cameras.
Old Nov 29, 2009, 6:30 AM   #7

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/hy...3-digicams-85/

click the link above