Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 28, 2009, 4:44 AM   #1

Default Which Camera to buy??

Hi,

I am to buy a new camera...and am very much confused with the reviews that I have read and heard for various cameras that I have been looking at. Please assist me in making my eventual choice.

I am targeting a one with superzoom, 8+ mgpixels, good diff. shooting modes, good performance in wide, macro, super macro mode, good flash, and overall excellent quality (ofc!!). With all this in mind, I was looking at Canon Powershot SX20IS but then I read about a lot about Nikon Coolpix P90 and Sony A230 or Sony A330, which all fall into my range (though A330 is a little costlier).

Now, with so many models all around me, I want you people to suggest / recommend me one which suits me the best. I am an avid photography fan and an amateur in the field.

Thanks in advance!!

~ Uphar
uphargandhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 28, 2009, 9:55 AM   #2
Administrator

I'd try them out in a store to see what you think. The Sony models you're looking at are Digital SLR cameras with interchangeable lenses. They have much larger sensors than you find in the non-dSLR models you're looking at, allowing better quality as ISO speeds are increased. But, they're going to be larger and heavier, and you'll want to use more than one lens to cover the same zoom range for best quality.

BTW, Sony does have a special on the A330 two lens kit right now (A330 cameras + 18-55mm + 55-200mm lenses) for $599.99

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/...52921665879084

It looks like they sold out (now backordered) since the special started. But, you can find the same deal at some of the dealers carrying Sony products. Here's one example:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...gital_SLR.html
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2009, 10:27 AM   #3

Welcome to the Forum. We're glad you dropped by.

Please tell us more about the type of photography that you are doing and are interested in doing in the future. Is it, perhaps, landscapes, portraits, low light level shooting, children, animals, sports, etc. We ask that question because some cameras are better adapted to certain types of shooting.

Have a great day.

Sarah Joyce

Last edited by mtclimber; Nov 28, 2009 at 10:52 AM.
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2009, 3:34 PM   #4

Default Viewfinder?

I don't mean to hijack this post but for some reason this site won't let me start a new post on this forum except to introduce myself, go figure...

Anyway, it has been a looong time since I last purchased a camera and am interested in a digital with around 10X zoom that will work for inside and outside photos. I have found some in the $200-$230 range (Fugi F70EXR, Kodak Z950, Sony DSC-H20, Canon SX120) but can't decide and the more I read the more confused I get.

One thing I have noticed that has changed in the camera world for this level is they don't have a viewfinder any more. Did I say it has been a looong time since I last bought a camera??? Maybe its me but I think I would feel in more control of the camera with the viewfinder. Any thoughts and/or recommendations?
pwyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2009, 7:04 PM   #5

pwyler-

Welcome to the Forum. We're glad you dropped by.

Optical viewfinders are virtually a thing of the past as more and more people seem to prefer to frame their photos using the LCD screen. Only the very large bridge cameras such as the Canon SX-1, SX-10, and SX-20 retain viewfinders, and those are EVF's, or electronic viewfinders, not optical vbiewfinders.

When Fuji went to the EXR design for their F-70 and F-200 cameras, the options and menu selections became much more complicated and very numerous. Because there are so many options available most newcomers fall into a technical overload situation. As a result I tend to only recommend those two cameras to thechnophiles and computer geeks. But please feel free to check them out.

In terms of everyday convenience, the Sony H-20 and the canon SX-120 seem to be the "sweet spot" in this group of cameras. I own the Koadak Z-950 and I cannot say that I am totally pleased with its image quality. But keep in mind that is your judgement call.

The Sony H-20 has the best automation, the best built-in flash unit (camera to subject up to 20 feet when using Auto ISO) with perfect exposures. The H-20 also has HD video and you can zoom while shooting a video.

In contrast, the Canon SX-120 has an average flash, an average non HD video and that accounts for its slightly lower price.

Have a great day.

Sarah Joyce
Old Dec 1, 2009, 11:36 AM   #6

Hey All...

I shoot at get togethers, family photographs, outings, landscapes, basically anything that should be captured (I am still an amateur!!)!!

I am currently swayed towards Canon PS SX20IS, but having read a lot about other models, wanted to take another opinion!! Does any other model fits the bill in the sense that it matches or stands ahead of this Canon model in terms of features and performance?

Please help me out!!

Thanks in advance!!

~ Uphar
uphargandhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2009, 11:56 AM   #7

uphar-

Among the 24X super zoom cameras, the Kodak Z-980 which has a hot shoe that accepts the Kodak P-20 external flash has top flight image quality and the best flash power among the 24X optical zoom cameras. The Z-980 is well worth your consideration. I have attached a Kodak Z-980 photo for your reference.

Have a great day.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images