Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 28, 2009, 7:24 AM   #1

Default Ultra compact

I am looking for an ultra compact camera for carrying around and taking pictures while I am in Korea for a year.

I mostly plan to take landscape and building photos and not a whole lot of pictures with people.

I have been looking at the Canon 780is and to me it looks like the best so far, I am correct or is there something better for the price ($180) that I should look at? My old camera is a Canon PS a360 I think, it is quite old and in need of being replaced.

Sometime in the future I would like to get a nice DSLR since I use to have an SLR but I can not afford that right now so this camera does not have to be the ultimate p&s camera but it would be nice if it had some nice manual controls to get a picture I really want.
Fizban140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 28, 2009, 10:30 AM   #2

fizban-

Because smallness in size is a strong priority, and because you do not mention any low light level shooting, the canon SD-780 seems to be a good choice.

Have a great day.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2009, 11:22 PM   #3

You mention low light level shooting, is this problem with the 780? I generally do not use the flash anyways so is that the problem or is it something more complex?
Fizban140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2009, 9:54 AM   #4

Fizban-

Ultra small point and shoot cameras are not famous for their image quality at numerically high ISO speeds when flash is not used. Read the professional reviews and you will see what I mean. i did some quick research for you and it looks like the SD-780 does well through ISO 400. At ISO 800 image quality has declined quite measurably. You could make a small 4" X 6" print but that is all the image quality will allow. If you can live with those limitations, the SD-780 is an excellent choice for you.

Have a great day.

Sarah Joyce

Last edited by mtclimber; Nov 29, 2009 at 10:07 AM.
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote