Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 29, 2009, 2:22 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
Aunt Nelly-

The canon G-11 is an excellent camera with a hot shoe that will handle your EX-420 Flash just fine. I purchased and then returned the G-11. I did that because the 5X optical zoom (28 to 140mm in 35mm terms) was not enough zoom for my tastes. In contrast, the H-20 has 10X optical zoom and cost 1/2 of the G-11's cost.

Without using your EX-420 Flash, the flash range on the G-11, using auto ISOP would be 10 to 16 feet. The G-11 is a good camera and it also has some higher ISO capabilities as well making ISO settings right up to, and including ISO 800 very usable.

Sarah Joyce
Hi agian,
I had just found the thread on the G-11 that you started and have not finished reading it all.

In your opinion which includes having tried both the G-11 and the H-20....which would you recommend the most?

I have the flash which i could use on the G-11, but it is kind of heavy so don't always use it for quick indoor shots of the kids.

Considering the costs of the cameras as well......would the G-11 be worth it, or only worth it because I have that expensive flash?

Or are they about the same?

Remember my biggest complaints are fuzzy action shots, battery life and dark or overexposed indoor pictures -- especially of people when they become washed out due to flash.

I haven't even asked about battery life, and I know I need a back up and a memory card of some kind, so will need extra money for those items.
auntnelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2009, 2:40 PM   #22

Aunt Nelly-

To get the most out of the G-11 to justify it $449 price you would have to use the EX-420 external flash, particularly for family and group photos. It thought that the investment was too high.

The Sony H-20 (about $229) easily beats the G-11's built-in flash unit. With a couple of click you are easily into the Active Sports Mode, so it gives a lot of bang for the buck. No it does not have a true wide angle (28mm) on it zoo, instead it begins at 36mm. It also does not have an optical viewfinder, so you have to frame your photos using the H-20's LCD screen. So it is not perfect, it has a few warts too. But all in all, when you consider the HD video, it provide a whole lot of really good features.

Have a great day. By the way I am a mother of eight children, so I can relate. I will check back later in the afternoon. Right now I have to work on the PowerPoint for a class I am beginning tomorrow.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2009, 3:00 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
Aunt Nelly-

To get the most out of the G-11 to justify it $449 price you would have to use the EX-420 external flash, particularly for family and group photos. It thought that the investment was too high.

The Sony H-20 (about $229) easily beats the G-11's built-in flash unit. With a couple of click you are easily into the Active Sports Mode, so it gives a lot of bang for the buck. No it does not have a true wide angle (28mm) on it zoo, instead it begins at 36mm. It also does not have an optical viewfinder, so you have to frame your photos using the H-20's LCD screen. So it is not perfect, it has a few warts too. But all in all, when you consider the HD video, it provide a whole lot of really good features.

Have a great day. By the way I am a mother of eight children, so I can relate. I will check back later in the afternoon. Right now I have to work on the PowerPoint for a class I am beginning tomorrow.

Sarah Joyce
Wow! 8 kids......Guess we can relate..... mine are aged 3 years to 23 years..... 2 girls 7 boys ! yes, girls first and last of the bunch.....and yours?

I have been putting off paying bills---been looking at cameras way too long today, but was hoping to order to have it before Chrsitmas....

but wanted to say....

yes, the money isn't really there for the G-11, so would have to wait longer to get it if I chose to get that one ....

I was hoping for a viewfinder if I could, but hadn't found any in the lower priced cameras.

I not completely sure of all the benifits of a wide angle lens, so I guess I would not miss that....

But my main thing was to get a digital, but not one that was so poor I would always want to use my film camera instead....I feel so deprived to not be able to see the photos right away like everyone else.

I was hoping for something a bit smaller than what I have to make it easier to take places...but from what I read, and what I want, I realize that going too small gives up too much quaility.
Old Nov 29, 2009, 3:02 PM   #24

The only reason to get a Canon 'G' series camera is so your 420EX doesn't go to waste. If you don't anticipate using it anyway, then don't confine yourself to the Canon.

Btw, in addition to any of the 'G' series PowerShots, your 420EX should also work on the Canon SX1 IS, SX20 IS and SX10 IS.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2009, 3:17 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
The only reason to get a Canon 'G' series camera is so your 420EX doesn't go to waste. If you don't anticipate using it anyway, then don't confine yourself to the Canon.

Btw, in addition to any of the 'G' series PowerShots, your 420EX should also work on the Canon SX1 IS, SX20 IS and SX10 IS.
Oh Wow! More options! Are these good cameras as well? How would one go about deciding which of those is the best model?

Prices might be a factor as well....thanks for the tip and I'll look into that.

I may or may not use the flash, but if I am taking a quick shot of the kids, then I don't take the time to put it on the camera......just never realized that was an option.
Old Nov 29, 2009, 5:48 PM   #26

Aunt Nelly-

Please be aware that the Canon SX-1, SX-10 and SX-20 are virtually as large and even heavier than your current Film Rebel. That sort of works against the idea of a "take anywhere" camera that you could easily tuck right into your purse. By having a compact camera with you like the Sony H-20 or the Canon SX-120 that have a good Flash Range, you are all set. There is no external flash to mount, nor lens to change, you are ready when the photo is ready.

I usually carry one or even two cameras with me in my camera bag which doubles as a purse. You would be amazed at the photos that just seem to pop up as you cruise through everyday life.

Please also consider getting this camera enough in advance of the Holidays so that you can get used to that camera and be able to get the very best memory moment Christmas morning photos.

We have 4 girls and 4 boys. The girls arrived first, followed conveniently by the boys. The range from 33 through 50 in age. So we are just retired folks now.

Sarah Joyce
Old Nov 30, 2009, 8:31 AM   #27

I so much appreciate all of the suggestions and information everyone has given me here.

There are many things that I had never thought of, that I am grateful where suggested to me.

I now have to look at the options and see what is the most important to me ........ and I feel more confident in being able to make a decision after hearing from all of you who know so much about these cameras.

If I do get one, I am sure I will take the suggestion and not use it for the first time for very important photos unless I have a chance to get familiar with it first.

I am excited about the options I have to look at for now, and some options for future possibilities as well.

I will return with additional questions when I have them. Probably have even more questions after I buy a new camera !
Old Dec 12, 2009, 1:12 PM   #28

Just wanted to come back here and say I got the Sony H-20 and have had it less than 2 weeks, so can't say completely how I like it or not, but so far I am very happy with it.

I took some great pictures at the kids' concerts from far away, some of the snow, using the "snow mode" etc..

I am still exploring all it can do, but I am very much enjoying having a digital camera of my own which is a first for me!

I need to get a battery and am finding them expensive for about $50. I got a memory card, and it was $25 for a 4 GB, so I am on my way to collecting things I need to use this properly.

Thanks again for the help, I may return with more questions in the future!
Old Dec 12, 2009, 1:19 PM   #29

Aunt Nelly-

Congratulations on your new Sony H-20. We're happy to hear that you are enjoying your new camera.

Happy Holidays.

Sarah Joyce