Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 29, 2009, 9:16 AM   #1

Default Should I buya a Canon - PowerShot 12.1-Megapixel Digital Camera - Black?

I am a point and shoot kind of person. I have kids in sports and have not found a camera yet than can stop them in action and I am missing so many good shots. I found the Canon - PowerShot 12.1-Megapixel Digital Camera - Black at Best Buy for $369. Does anyone have any advice on this particular camera? Or any ideas on what other camera may be perfect for me?
Gary O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 29, 2009, 9:30 AM   #2
Administrator

Welcome to the forums.

What kind of sports (football, baseball, basketball, etc.) and in what conditions (indoors, outdoors in good light, night sports in a stadium, etc.)?

Most point and shoot models are going to struggle in less than optimum conditions from both an Autofocus speed/tracking perspective, and the ability to use higher ISO speeds with reasonable noise levels (since you'll need higher ISO speeds *and* a very bright lens to freeze action in lower lighting). So, if you're talking low light sports, you really need a dSLR model instead (combined with a bright lens, since the kit lenses won't be bright enough).

BTW, Canon makes some 10 different Powershot models with 12 Megapixel sensors. So, you may want to let members know what model you're looking at.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2009, 9:34 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary O. View Post
I am a point and shoot kind of person. I have kids in sports and have not found a camera yet than can stop them in action and I am missing so many good shots. I found the Canon - PowerShot 12.1-Megapixel Digital Camera - Black at Best Buy for $369. Does anyone have any advice on this particular camera? Or any ideas on what other camera may be perfect for me?
Welcome to the site, I found this for you:

http://www.associatedcontent.com/art...g3.html?cat=15
NewSD780IS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2009, 9:45 AM   #4

Default Model: SX20 IS

Thanks for your reply. The model I was looking at is the Canon SX20 IS. I am shooting soccer and tennis. Tennis is inside once in a while.
Gary O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2009, 9:54 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewSD780IS View Post
Welcome to the site, I found this for you:

http://www.associatedcontent.com/art...g3.html?cat=15
That's a pretty bizzare little article.

One of the threee most important features for shooting action is Image Stabilization?

Two of the three Top Digital Cameras for Action Shots are the GE A830 and the Nikon D60?

I don't think so.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2009, 9:54 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary O. View Post
Thanks for your reply. The model I was looking at is the Canon SX20 IS. I am shooting soccer and tennis. Tennis is inside once in a while.
If you're serious about wanting high quality action shots I'd buy the Nikon D60 DSLR. But be advised it will run $500+
Old Nov 29, 2009, 9:55 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
That's a pretty bizzare little article.

One of the threee most important features for shooting action is Image Stabilization?

Two of the three Top Digital Cameras for Action Shots are the GE A830 and the Nikon D60?

I don't think so.
The GE model mentioned is the low budget choice.

Nikon DSLR's are hard to beat. My brother uses a Nikon D90.

Last edited by NewSD780IS; Nov 29, 2009 at 9:59 AM.
Old Nov 29, 2009, 9:56 AM   #8

Among dSLRs, the Nikon D60 has one of the poorest performing autofocus systems for shooting sports/action.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2009, 10:10 AM   #9
Administrator

Is the soccer in brighter daylight? If not, you'll probably have issues with virtually any non-dSLR camera model (your shutter speeds will probably be too slow to freeze action in less than optimum lighting).

You'll definitely have issues trying to shoot something like Tennis indoors. For indoor sports, you'll need a dSLR capable of higher ISO speeds (think ISO 1600 or higher, depending on the lighting), using a bright lens (f/2.8 or wider apertures, represented by smaller f/stop numbers). A 70-200mm f/2.8 lens is popular for that purpose ($800 and up for the lens alone, not counting the cost of the camera body to mount it on).

For good light use (outdoors in sunlight), you may be able to get some keepers. If your shutter speeds are not fast enough, increase your ISO speed (each time you double the ISO speed, a camera can use shutter speeds twice as fast for the same aperture and lighting). With non-dSLR models like this Canon, noise tends to be objectionable at anything much over around ISO 400. But, at smaller print sizes, you may be able to get away with using ISO 800. That's not going to "cut it" for low light use without a flash. You'll find the same type of restrictions in most other non-dSLR camera models.

Another issue is that you'll be limited to approximately 1 frame per second shooting in Continuous Mode with a camera like the SX20 IS. In addition, the last photo taken briefly displays on the LCD or EVF, making it more difficult to follow a moving subject. Most cameras with Electronic Viewfinders are going to have similar issues. So, you'll need to learn to time your shots for better results.

If you read the Review Conclusion Sections of the reviews here, you'll see comments on how a camera performs (Autofocus Speed, Continuous Drive Mode performance, Noise Levels as ISO speeds are increased, etc. Here's the review of that Canon model:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/camer...lusion-16.html

Basically, for best results shooting sports, you really need to move up to a dSLR model (using brighter lenses versus kit lenses if you need to shoot in low light).

Quote:
I have kids in sports and have not found a camera yet than can stop them in action and I am missing so many good shots.
What cameras have you tried? Did you increase ISO speed to get faster shutter speeds with them? Each time you double the ISO speed (which is how sensitive the sensor is to light), a camera can use shutter speeds twice as fast for the same lighting and aperture. But, higher ISO speeds will result in higher noise levels (and/or loss of detail from noise reduction). So, a dSLR using a much larger sensor with higher usable ISO speeds is desirable for use in less than optimum lighting without a flash.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote