Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 30, 2009, 1:26 AM   #1

Default Entry-DSLR

Hey folks..

itīs been a while since I bought my C8080 WZ, and now I am looking for a DSLR-cam, which

- is not too heavy to carry around

- offers the same or better image quality as the 8080, with the crisp colours and alike.

- is also good for landscapes, nature as well as concert pictures (although that of course depends on the lens as well)

- allows large print-outs in good quality.

Favourites are the E-620 from Olympus and maybe the Canon EOS 500D.

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!

Santuris

santuris is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 30, 2009, 9:04 AM   #2

santuris-

If size is a high priority, also take a look at the Panasonic G-1 and GF-1 cameras. They are as small as the Olympus E-420 camera. The Sony A-230 is also quite small.

Have a great day.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2009, 9:10 AM   #3

I just got the E620. The online reviews are sparkling and the price at B&H is excellent. The size is not that much larger than my old E410. Of course, Olympus colors...
My Gallery

--
Hebrews 13:3
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2009, 10:28 AM   #4
Super Moderator

either camera would fit your criterion, i suggest heading down to the local camera shop and trying each of them out. see which one fits your hand best and which menu/button system you feel most comfortable with.

while you are there, you may as well check out some other entry dslrs: pentax kx, nikon d5000, sony 230, etc.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2009, 12:55 PM   #5

Hello and thanks again for the answers..

Size is one of the priorities. But, concerning my "feeling" the E-620 and the Canon felt most comfortable for me. I was just wondering about the image quality of the olympus, since I read in some reviews that there were some noise-problems with the Olympus. Since I plan to use the camera for an occasional concert as well, this might be a problem, wouldnīt it?
Otherwise, does anybody of you have had a comparison between the Canon and the Olympus?

Again, thanks for all the kind information.

Greetings

elmar
santuris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2009, 1:01 PM   #6
Super Moderator

the Canon 500d/t1i will do better at higher ISOs than the Oly 620, not that the E-620 does bad, but the edge goes to the canon. shooting raw, the difference is a little smaller. thats pretty well accepted and expected since the sensor on the canon is aps-c which is larger than the 4/3 sensor on the oly.

either will do much much better in low light than the digicam you have been using.
Old Nov 30, 2009, 1:08 PM   #7

While either will do better than your current camera, bear in mind that MOST (not all) DSLRs are forbidden or, at best, highly frowned-upon at concerts and professional sporting events. The current bridge cameras are even getting some flak.
My Gallery

--
Hebrews 13:3
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2009, 1:13 PM   #8
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjtoth View Post
While either will do better than your current camera, bear in mind that MOST (not all) DSLRs are forbidden or, at best, highly frowned-upon at concerts and professional sporting events. The current bridge cameras are even getting some flak.
thats a good point, anything that remotely hints at "professional" will probably prevent you from getting in the door.
Old Nov 30, 2009, 1:28 PM   #9

Check with the venue first. FedEx Field, here in the Washington, DC suburbs, has no restrictions on camera gear, so long as it doesn't interfere with other people seeing the event. I didn't have any trouble getting into a Redskins game with a dSLR with a 75-300 and a 2X TC.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2009, 1:58 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
Check with the venue first. FedEx Field, here in the Washington, DC suburbs, has no restrictions on camera gear, so long as it doesn't interfere with other people seeing the event. I didn't have any trouble getting into a Redskins game with a dSLR with a 75-300 and a 2X TC.
Concerts are very different than sporting events. There are usually a LOT more restrictions on concerts. So, to the OP - what types of concerts are we talking about? Professional headliners or local garage bands? You can forget about bringing a DSLR into most headliner band concerts.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote