Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 30, 2009, 4:45 AM   #1

Default Buying SLR; should I also get a P&S to supplement that?

Within the next month or so, I will be purchasing my first SLR. I've narrowed it down from several excellent choices (Pentax K-x, Panasonic G1, Olyumpus E620) and will likely end up with either a Canon T1i or a Nikon D5000.

The question though is whether I should also pick up a point and shoot to supplement it. I currently have a Sony DSC-W1 which I paid a lot for almost 5 years ago. I have taken some decent shots with it but remain unimpressed by it's speed and poor low light conditions. I'm wondering if the current crop of $100-200 models from Canon/Sony/etc would outperform my W1 by a significant enough margin to justify purchasing.

The SLR would be used for more "serious" photography and events, while the point and shoot might be used for small trips and other things where I wouldn't feel like lugging the SLR around, or where I wouldn't want to lose it. Am I crazy? I'd love a Panasonic LX3 but that's a bit out of my price range if I'm also buying an SLR kit. I also considered the Panasonic GF1 but for all the stuff I'd want it would be too much $$$ compared to the D500/T1i combos at Costco.

Thanks in advance.
Locustfist is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 30, 2009, 8:38 AM   #2

I suggest you learn to use one camera at a time. A dSLR is a lot different from what you're used to.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2009, 10:01 AM   #3

TCav- has offered some very sage advice-

However to more directly address your question, many DSLR users often have a second point and shoot camera to use when circumstances make carrying a DSLR camera not the most prudent choice.

Have a great day.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2009, 2:40 PM   #4

I guess my real question concerns the upgrade from the Sony W1. The SLR info is just to let you know my situation. There's not really much learning involved in a simple point and shoot so I'm not worried about that.

I'd like something a bit smaller than my (metal and heavy) W1, with a better screen (same size is fine but higher res and better viewing angle), possible a more powerful zoom, and image stabilization. Is there a decent point and shoot with those features for under $200?
Locustfist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2009, 7:57 PM   #5

locustfist-

The Canon SD780 is very small and has a HD video cpability, but still under $200 today on CyberMonday.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote