Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 30, 2009, 10:36 AM   #11

Just as a side comment to other more advanced photographers from a beginner...

I think where your skill set is and where you want it to go coupled with the situations you'll be photographing are probably what will be a deciding factor. Both are excellent camera's (I've read about the Pentax but own a G11).

My 2 cents....If your skill set is as a beginner (learning all the settings etc all over again or for the first time) then I think you'll be happy with the G11 as it gives you the manual control you'll want and fine image quality. Some say the noise starts to appear at an ISO over 800, but how much low lighting shooting will you be doing? And what kind? Thus far, the G11 has been excellent at providing me with the learning experience I need as it does all the functions I'll need it too without swapping out lenses. So, my pocket book thanks me

Another factor, will you be doing a lot of shooting on the fly or planned photography? My shooting is more spur of the moment so having a lighter cameral like the G11 is more suitable for me.

I do plan on purchasing a DSLR eventually but right now I don't want to get into the expense of additional lenses that do various things until my skill level increases so that I know what I am doing and can utilize the DSLR to the best of its ability. I also want to learn what type of shooting I like to do so that I can buy the equipment I'll need with the DSLR to achieve results and not waste money on accessories I won't need. However, if I was purchasing a DSLR today, I think, based on what has been written in other posts (and the internet) about the Pentax K-X, I'd buy that one.

However, both camera image quality are excellent so on that score I think you'll be happy either way.

Hope that helps...

PS: too see some members G11 Shots, check out the thread "Are there any G11 user's out there" under the heading CANON under the forums menu.

Last edited by Shutterbug74; Nov 30, 2009 at 11:08 AM.
Shutterbug74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2009, 11:18 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matte Black View Post
... despite the fact that lens options ARE available for the G11, should one wish to go down that road (to me, defeats the purpose of having a compact P and S)
Am I mistaken or does the Canon G11 NOT have lens options?

Matte Black -- for this reason and others (for example, for me an articulating LCD is very useful), you might want to also consider one of the Micro Four-Third camera systems (usually abbreviated MFT) offered by Olympus and by Panasonic. These are all interchangable lens systems smaller than DSLRs but with nearly the same size sensors. Look around -- there's a good bit of info on the web. Some consider them just the newest fad -- but there is a reason that MFT is perhaps the hottest part of the digicam market right now.

The Panasonic G1 with the well-regarded 14-45 f/3.5 lens can be had in kit form right now for $600 in red, or $640 in blue or black. I suggest comparing this to the K-X (and to the G11). You may find the "value for the buck" meets or exceeds your requirements.

Last edited by Kriekira; Nov 30, 2009 at 11:25 AM.
Kriekira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2009, 11:33 AM   #13

I was in the same boat you were, trying to choose between a superzoom p/s (panasonic fz35) and a entry level dslr. My decision came down to, What environment will I be taking pictures in ?..outdoors, low light, indoors , sports ?. Since most of my photography is being done outdoors with good lighting I chose the superzoom route. A dslr has the advantages for those non-perfect lighting situations and fast action (by purchasing the right lenses). So you need to consider if its worth carrying all that gear to take simple photos or getting a high end p/s to get really good IQ. On my camera I've taken very nice shots at ISO 1000 and usable for very nice 5x7 prints with no post processing.
anthony_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2009, 11:05 AM   #14

Many, many thanks to all the members who took the time to post very useful and detailed replies.
I wish that I could report that I'm that much closer to deciding between the two, but I'm not.
In response to the member that mentioned M4/3, yes, I'd considered that, but I think they are too pricey, relative to either the G11 or even the K-X.
A previous poster mentioned a very salient point: will I be taking pics on the fly, or will they be planned.
That is the million dollar question, really.
I think it will be a bit of both...outings and events with photo ops definitely on the agenda, and also spur-of-the-moment shooting.
Am I learning everything all over again? In a way, yes. I had an old SLR, as I mentioned before, and did photography in high school, but with an easy-to-navigate menu and a good manual, I think I'd get the hang of it pretty quickly...at least the basics.
I did hold a G11 in my hands, and it seems solid, and the pics seem nice, if not spectacular. Plenty of options to fiddle with. I really DO like the size of it, and if I were to get the K-X (which I've yet to fondle and drool over, as it's yet to arrive in Korea, but I will probably do some tire-kicking when I visit Toronto over the holidays), I doubt very much that I'd get the 2nd lens (just the kit: 18-55), as I wouldn't want to be lugging that much gear with me...at least not initially.
Let the dithering continue, unless I get a post that knocks my socks off either way.
Thanks, gang!
Matte Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2009, 2:32 PM   #15

You might want to read up on some issues people are having with rechargable batteries too....I was one click away from getting the K-X before I went another route. I'm sure I woul've been happy with the k-x but my current camera gives me more options then the kit lense of the k-x and I also like the fact that my camera is very portable. You may need to buy both...lol
Old Dec 3, 2009, 10:52 AM   #16

Anthony,
What camera did you end up buying?
As for the battery issue...yes, I'd read that in many places as well, but also that it depended on the type of battery. I'd read that there were 2 brands and types of lithium AA batteries that worked exceedingly well in the K-X.
I can't recall off the top of my head....one of them, the model name, not the brand, started with E (as if that's any help).
Apparently that made a world of difference.
Pentax's own site claims a whopping 1900 shots (no mention of live view drain on power, though, which I've heard, is that Achilles' heel)
Matte Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2009, 11:08 AM   #17

Matte Black-

anthony_b ended up purchasing the Panasonic FZ-35 camera, as I did, and he and I are both very pleased with the camera. I ordered the Pentax Kx and returned it after two weeks of use. I had no battery ptoblems, I used the new higher powered NIZN batteries that output 1.6 volts versus 1.2 volts for the normal NImH batteries.

I returned the Kx because while I liked the camera and it performance, but I felt it was over priced. I am happily using my Sony A-200 along side my Panasonic FZ-35.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2009, 11:13 AM   #18
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthony_b View Post
You might want to read up on some issues people are having with rechargable batteries too....I was one click away from getting the K-X before I went another route. I'm sure I woul've been happy with the k-x but my current camera gives me more options then the kit lense of the k-x and I also like the fact that my camera is very portable. You may need to buy both...lol
Note that Pentax has just released a firmware update for the K-x, and one of the changes cited is "Improved accuracy of Battery Level Indicator under specific conditions and improved stability for general performance."

So, I'm hopeful that may solve the battery issues I've seen reported in a number of posts elsewhere (premature shutdown with well charged batteries, etc.). I don't know of anyone having a battery issue that's tried it yet though. See this thread for details on the firmware update:

Pentax Firmware 1.01 Update for K-x
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2009, 12:37 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matte Black View Post
Anthony,
What camera did you end up buying?
As for the battery issue...yes, I'd read that in many places as well, but also that it depended on the type of battery. I'd read that there were 2 brands and types of lithium AA batteries that worked exceedingly well in the K-X.
I can't recall off the top of my head....one of them, the model name, not the brand, started with E (as if that's any help).
Apparently that made a world of difference.
Pentax's own site claims a whopping 1900 shots (no mention of live view drain on power, though, which I've heard, is that Achilles' heel)
Hello Matte, as Sarah mentioned I purchased the Panasonic FZ35. I think the Canon G11 would be considered more "high end". If I were you I would give the cameras a test run or do what I did....... I borrowed a friend's dslr and went shooting with both, it made the decision easier for me that I didn't need one.
Old Dec 3, 2009, 12:41 PM   #20

Another thing that I did was compare images between cameras on flikr.com....you can see some of my early shots in the Panasonic forum (I've owned it for about three weeks now).