Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 3, 2009, 7:56 PM   #21

A quote from Imaging Resource, by Shawn Barnett and Mike Tompkins:

"The only potential downfall is the lack of an AF-point display overlay, something also missing from the K2000, which means that no LEDs will light up in the viewfinder when you half-press the shutter button to focus. Its omission leaves me scratching my head and threatens to color the tone of this review."

Other than the firmware update to address the widely-reported battery problems, I wonder if any members would care to comment on the above?

Sarah, as for price, I have read that value for the money is outstanding, given that it's classified as "entry-level" but the combination of features, IQ, and build quality make it more than that. I'm curious why you returned it. Was it just price?

Test drives here in Korea are non-existent. Unless you have a friend who has the camera you are interested in, forget it. Too bad. I guess I'll have to do some tire-kicking over the Xmas holidays when I get back to Toronto.

Thanks, all.
Matte Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2009, 8:05 PM   #22

Matte Black

My biggest complaint was that I wanted an LED to show me where the camera is focusing. That is a very important issue to me. I already touched on the battery problem and how I solved it. A DSLR at that price point should show you where the camera is focusing!

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2009, 11:53 PM   #23

Sarah,

I tend to agree. I guess I'll have to hold it in my hands and see if that would be a deal-breaker.

I might have to look at others in the same price range.....I've earmarked about 700-800 CDN max (about 650-700 USD) with a lens....any recommendations?

I'd like it to do HD, but that would only represent about 10% of my usage.

Steven (aka Matte Black)
Old Dec 4, 2009, 8:26 AM   #24

Pentax K-X is the cheapest dslr with HD recording capabilities, and I too had concerns about the focus confirmation. The guys at the Pentax forum suggested to just set the focus to center all the time and some other suggestions, but at the end it was too much to ignore. On my current camera I have a nice little green light that tells me when I'm good to shoot.
anthony_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2009, 9:31 AM   #25

Hi there, anthony_b and steven-

That is my point exactly. For a camera that is billed as having 11 focus points, it seems silly to eliminate all but one, which you arbitrarily place at the center point.

Have a great day
Old Dec 4, 2009, 9:13 PM   #26

Well, yes, it does seem like an odd omission....11 point AF and then suggesting that you overlook 10 of them and just settle for the bullseye.

So, if after getting it in my hands, I agree that it's worth passing on, given my previously-stated profile and needs for a camera, (between beginner and enthusiast) what would you recommend?

I'd like a reasonably lightweight but well-built machine, with an intuitive and easy to navigate and helpful menu, good optics and live view, logical layout, HD preferred, nothing flimsy and easy to activate accidentally, etc etc....basically, the best bang for the buck, at around 700 USD, including a lens.

Thanks, all.
Old Dec 4, 2009, 9:56 PM   #27

Steven-

I strongly feel that with the Kx fading fast from your priority list, that the Nikon D-5000 is worth a good look. It has the numerically high ISO shooting capabilities that you are looking for, a convenient articulated LCD screen, and HD video.

In contrast to the Canon G-11 camera the Nikon D-5000 has a much richer feature set and far greater photographic flexibility, albeit at a somewhat higher purchase price. However, I really feel that getting the right/correct tool for the defined task is also extremely important as well.

You may indeed spend a little more now, but in the final analysis to be made some 6 to 12 months after your purchase, it will be money very well spend. Give some consideration to the two lens kit as both the 18-55mVR kit lens, and the 55-200mmVR lens are both excellent lenses.

Sarah Joyce
Old Dec 4, 2009, 10:25 PM   #28

Some suggestions (although I still think the Pentax K-x is a great camera):

Canon XSi with 18-55mm AND 55-200mm stabilized lenses for $749.98 at B&H Photo until Dec. 19 - $949.98 after that

Canon Ti1 with 18-55mm stabilized kit lens for $719.95 at B&H Photo

Nikon D3000 with 18-55mm stabilized lens for $459.95 at B&H Photo until Dec. 12 - $549.95 after that (no live view)

Nikon D3000 with 18-55mm lens and 55-200mm stabilized lens for $599.90 until Dec. 12 - $799.90 after that (no live view)

Nikon D5000 with 18-55mm stabilized kit lens for $749 at B&H Photo

Olympus E-620 with 14-42mm and 40-150mm lenses (stabilization in camera body) for $652.95 at B&H Photo until Dec. 31

Sony A230 with 18-55mm AND 55-200mm kit lenses (stabilization in camera body) for $594.95 at B&H Photo (no live view)

Sony A330 with 18-55mm AND 55-200mm kit lenses (stabilization in camera body) for $599.95 at B&H Photo until Dec. 19 - $799.99 after that

I'm not trying to advertise for B&H - you can probably find similar prices at Adorama. I'm just trying to give you a sample of what you can find at reputable camera dealers. All of the above cameras are good equipment - and some of those limited-time, two-lens deals are fabulous. It's just matter of which system you want to buy into. If you shoot a lot of sports, I'd recommend Canon first and Nikon second. But Pentax, Olympus and Sony all offer stabilization in the camera body rather than the lens - which means lens purchases going forward will be a bit less expensive - compared to comparable lenses from Canon and Nikon. Off hand, the Canon XSi and Ti1, the Nikon D5000, the Olympus E-620 and the Sony A330 seem to meet your feature requirements on paper. And the current Sony and Olympus twin-lens kits - at least during the current discount period - seem to offer the best value. Hope this helps.
Biro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2009, 4:31 AM   #29

Hi Sarah, and Biro,

I just checked out some of Canon/Nikon/Sony/Olympus' offerings here in Seoul. Hmmm....my thoughts....the Canons felt a bit cheap and plasticky, and I didn't care for the ergonomics and controls....the Olympus doesn't do video....the Sony's ergonomics were not to my liking, it didn't grip easily (I have big hands), and I found the LCD odd....it hinges down....but it looked nice from the front! That leaves the Nikon....yes, I tried the D5000....very nice....very nice indeed. But the caveat is that the video, while it gets good reviews, is limited to 5 minutes. That defeats the purpose for me. I video-tape students giving speeches, and that there is a deal-breaker. Unless I am totally put off by the AF system of the K-X (and perhaps finding out that there is poor service support here in Korea) I'll have to get further recommendations....or even consider the K-7.
Biro, I have a Toronto shipping address, so that means B&H is out of the question as far as taking advantage of those great deals. Thanks for your painstaking assemblage!

MB
Old Dec 6, 2009, 8:21 AM   #30

sorry, just bumped into this topic by chance..but what exactly are you referring to with this "missing indication" of autofocus? as far as I knew, a little red light indicated the field where the k-x would focus.. or am I wrong?
santuris is offline   Reply With Quote