Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 5, 2009, 8:40 AM   #21

Jake-

Yes, the K100D is a good, basic, DSLR camera. It is capable of very good image quality in fair to good light. It is not really a numerically high ISO capable camera. I shot with one for years. It will accept any Pentax lens every made. Only the newer Pentax lenses will offer auto focus and auto exposure capabilities.

The Pentax K100D would be en excellent camera to learn with over time. As much as anything you need to increase your knowledge of basic photography skills and principles, and to gain real shooting experience. In my opinion, the Pentax K100D would be a better learning tool than the Canon 20D. You often see used Pentax K100D cameras on E-Bay for a very reasonable price.

Have a great weekend.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2009, 9:01 AM   #22

Ok thanks, but if I mainly want to take pictures of landscapes and slower subjects then it will be a good choice? It can't still shoot bursts can't it, the issue is that it slows down halfway through the burst, so if I take a burst it may still capture fast subjects clearly?

Thanks again
Jake
n-e-w-land is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2009, 9:09 AM   #23
Administrator

Burst speed has nothing to do with shutter speed (the speed the shutter is opening and closing to freeze action). Shutter speed is reliant on the light levels, the maximum available aperture of the lens (represented by the lowest available f/stop number, which is how much light the lens lets through to the camera's sensor), and the the ISO speed you're using (which is how sensitive the camera is to light). IOW, even if you could only take one photo before the camera slowed down, that one photo could still freeze the action (if the shutter speed being used was fast enough, which is reliant on the brightness of the lens being used, how much light you have available, and the ISO speed being used).
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2009, 9:11 AM   #24

Sorry Sarah, I didn't see your reply, thanks for the advice. Can you still auto focus using the k100D.

I'd love to see some of your shots using the K100d!
Old Dec 5, 2009, 9:23 AM   #25

Thanks Jim, really appreciate the help.
Old Dec 5, 2009, 10:07 AM   #26

Jake -

Yes the auto focus on the Pentax K100D is excellent.

Sarah Joyce
Old Dec 5, 2009, 10:21 AM   #27
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
Jake -

Yes the auto focus on the Pentax K100D is excellent.

Sarah Joyce
I think that is an exaggeration, as I wouldn't put any entry level dSLR into the excellent level, especially as shooting motorsport has been mentioned as a minor requirement.

n-e-w-land, something else that was mentioned but you might have looked over, you do have a lens limitation with this body as it was pre the hypersonic motor technology so you can't use all new lens options.

I'm not saying don't buy it, just ensuring you are fully aware of something that might affect your future growth with the system.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2009, 10:53 AM   #28

OK, thanks mark, I don't think this will be a longterm camera, just while i'm a student, once I get a job I can look into something a little more substantial. As long as the lenses available allow me to autofocus then thats fine.

Thanks
Old Dec 5, 2009, 12:26 PM   #29

I agree Mark-

That was not the proper description. I just wanted to convey that the Pentax K100D does have good autofocus and it is a pretty good buy on the used camera market.

Sarah Joyce
Old Dec 5, 2009, 12:32 PM   #30

Jake-

KEH has used Pentax K100D camera bodies at $(US) 245.00.

Sarah Joyce