Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 30, 2009, 12:16 PM   #1

Default Canon 20D

Hi, just joined here. Know very little about DSLR's. Looking for a second hand DSLR ideal for an ameteur trying to improve on my efforts with a compact.

Really interested in this, http://www.steves-digicams.com/camer...lr-review.html I know its old but looks as if it will do the job.

Thanks, Jake
n-e-w-land is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 30, 2009, 12:39 PM   #2
Super Moderator

Jake,

the 20d was an excellent camera in its day, and is still a very good camera capable of outstanding images. i owned 1 for about 5 years until here recently upgrading to the 50d.

i did a quick check on ebay and such, and the price of a 20d is not that much different than a new Canon XSi with kit lens. the XSi is several generations newer, and while of the lower rebel line, it outperforms the aging 20d.

i think the XSi would be a better and safer purchase at this point. many of the 20ds are getting older and may have many shutter actuations. and the shutter button or shutter could wear out, which is in fact what happened with my 20d.

if you know the person selling the 20d well, such as a friend or relative, and you know it hasnt been shot much and has been handled well and you can get a really good price, then it could be an option.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2009, 12:40 PM   #3

Jake,

You're not going to find a new 20d anywhere. I used a 20d for several years and it's a very good DSLR. BUT, I would be concerned about buying such an old DSLR - especially with no way to determine how many actuations are on it. A new shutter will set you back over $300 - more than you should be paying for a 20d on the used market.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2009, 1:12 PM   #4

Hi,
Thanks for your replys. I have looked on ebay and the XSi, looks a bit over budget as I am a student. I have a local camera shop with a canon 20D in good condition for 280 with lense. What do you reckon?
Old Nov 30, 2009, 9:50 PM   #5

newland-

Welcome to the Forum. We're glad you dropped by.

Based on USA prices, that seems high to me. However, I know prices are higher in the UK.

Have a great day.

Sarah Jouyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2009, 6:46 AM   #6
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by n-e-w-land View Post
Hi,
Thanks for your replys. I have looked on ebay and the XSi, looks a bit over budget as I am a student. I have a local camera shop with a canon 20D in good condition for 280 with lense. What do you reckon?
Which lens is that with? If you are getting a warranty then it is probably about the right price for the UK. As already mentioned it is an old camera and you can't be sure that it is not very well used potentially worn out.

I would take a look at the Sony A230 if you are really working to a budget. You can get it it with a 50 cash-back, making it 292 after rebate.

http://www.warehouseexpress.com/buy-...-lens/p1032017

This will get you going for about the same price.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2009, 7:39 AM   #7
Administrator

It looks like Jessops has it for about the same price (299 after rebate with free standard delivery).

http://www.jessops.com/online.store/...6248/Show.html
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2009, 12:17 PM   #8

Hi, I'm not sure what lense it was with, Think it might be kit lense? Not sure on details thought. I had a go with the camera and it seemed to work ok. It comes with a 6 month warranty.

Also is the Sony A230 as good as the 20D, does is give you the same quality of pictures and it is easy for an ameteur to achieve very crisp pictures.

Thanks
Old Dec 1, 2009, 12:28 PM   #9
Administrator

I'd try them out in a store. The A230 is designed to be very beginner friendly with a nice menu system to help you understand how settings are going to impact your shots.

The 20D is a larger and heavier camera. But, it's in a more advanced market niche, and it's got a larger viewfinder, better build quality, more advanced control layout, and faster burst speed in continuous drive mode. It's 8 Megapixel Sensor is also pretty good.

But, it is a 5 year old camera, so I'd be concerned about reliability, depending on how it's been used (not to mention that things like internal capacitors can break down over time). Of course, a 6 month warranty would help with peace of mind if something went wrong.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2009, 1:30 PM   #10

Hi again,

I've been doing some research and have realised I can't really afford a new camera and the 20d isnt what i'm looking for. I'm now really interested in the Pentax k100d, its seems like good value for money second hand and plus i've used my uncles which I felt comfortable with. Would it be a good camera to go for, anyone got any experience with it.

Thanks Jake