Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 1, 2009, 1:32 PM   #1

Default help,, canon SX20 IS or Panasonic Lumix DMZ-FZ35

I know there are several posts on here already asking about these two cameras. I have spent so much time researching and still dont have a clue which one would be better for me...
I currently have an older canon powershot S1 IS.. I have had a couple of problems with it since getting it in 2005. The flash would stick so I got that fixed. Then now the sensor is out I believe... It has been a great camera taking great pictures for me even it it was only a 3.2 pixels. So I am ready for a new one. I got the 10x zoom which was the longest at the time for the price I wanted to pay. I take pictures of my girls dance competitions in theaters and you cannot use flash so the zoom has been great.. I also take their yearly school pictures up close mostly outside and its been a great little camera. I do not really care about the recording capabillities as I have my camcorder for that. I also dont really do any manual adjusting.. just havent spent much time on it... So here is my question.. Which of the panasonic dmz-fz35 or the canon sx20 is a good pick for me.. a lot of the reviews say the canon is the best but i am concerned about image quality. I want it crisp. So when they talk about some softening is that when you use the manual settings. I am no expert. I like the fact that you can use the double A batteries for the canon but does it not take quality pictures at long distance and that is whey they have have the hot shoe on it? Anyone please help me decide... I just want a decent camera that can shoot indoors without a flash if needed at long distances.. I had the action mode on my s1 is an it really worked good...I am also worried about getting batteries for the panasonic as I have heard they are very expensive like 50 dollars...
any help deciding.. thanks...
lwindhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 1, 2009, 3:05 PM   #2

lwindhorn-

Welcome to the Forum. We're glad you dropped by.

The Canon SX-20 is able to shoot indoor photos without flash without producing a large amount of electronic noise in that image. In contrast, the FZ-35 can shoot easily at an ISO 800 setting and can be pushed to ISO 1000 if you use noise removal software like Neat Image or Noise Ninja.

I tend to favor the Panasonic FZ-35 as the better choice of these two super zoom cameras. It has great high ISO capabilities, an advanced IS system, and is lighter and easier to use. The FZ-35 also has a very sharp and crisp image output.

Have a great day.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2009, 6:39 PM   #3

can I use other rechargeable batteries for this camera.. I see some for 8 dollars on amazon... and then some for 16...
they say they are for this camera... then is there a battery charger if I need to charge up batteries separate.
lwindhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2009, 6:57 PM   #4

lwindhorn-

The FZ-35 camera comes complete with a battery and charger included free in the camera box.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote