Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 3, 2009, 8:06 PM   #11

The only used Sony A-200 I could find was at B&H for $389.00. You do see Sony A-200 and A-230 cameras turn up on E-bay but they command $350 min to $430 tops. $400 for the camera body, lens, batteries, and memory card is cutting it very close indeed.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2009, 8:14 PM   #12

If you are interested in shooting macro, plan on buying additional accessories, or (if you can afford it) a dedicated lens. If your main lens is pretty good, then you can either buy an add-on lens like the Raynox or extension tubes, both will allow you to focus closer than your lens normally would. Or you could get a reversing ring and an inexpensive old manual lens and mount it reversed. If you end up doing lots of macro then buying a macro lens is a good idea - it makes things easier. But it's also the most expensive way to do macro.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2009, 8:46 PM   #13

Ok, thanks. I found a nice deal on an a200

Last edited by mrpete; Sep 16, 2010 at 9:29 AM. Reason: typo- I meant to say A200
mrpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2009, 8:49 PM   #14
Administrator

B&H has it for $429.95 with free shipping right now:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...gital_SLR.html

It looks like Adorama has the same deal (so you'll probably find that other vendors have it at that price now, too).

http://www.adorama.com/ISODSLRA230L....info=sony+a230
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2009, 10:46 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpete View Post
What makes the A230 superior to the A200? I know itmust have improvements, but I don't know what they are and if they're worth it.
Since I'm scrimping, I think I'll give up better controls or whatever for now.
Then in a few years I can upgrade bodies.
My Sony is the A200, and I like the handling of this body a lot more than the new A230. Wrapping my antique mind around the best settings for the A200 has been a bit of a challenge. The A230 may have better default settings, that I don't know about. Just about any A200 will have the old kit 18-70mm zoom. It's easy to find lots of posts about how soft this lens is. There is some truth in that. But for portaits I actually have to add blur in PP to get a nice portait effect. With a simple +3 diopter closeup filter this lens gets down to a field size of about 60x40 mm. For serious macro work the old Minolta lenses would certainly be tempting.

Kelly Cook
KCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2009, 7:55 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
A NEW A230 is better than a USED A200 plus $30.
Hi TCav,
what if you compare New A200 and New A230? Same price, which one would you pick, please explain, I have tried both, but at the I picked A200, because I think it's better built than A230, this is my opinion only. A230 is lighter than A200, but I heard the life expectancy of A200 I've heard is about 100,000 shutter actuations vs. A230 is 50,000 shutter actuations.( Not sure this is true or not, but that's what I heard) Also, A200 has Continuous Drive at 3.0fps, A230 is 2.5fps. those are the reasons why i picked A200 over A230. Also, I got a decent deal on A200, so it's little cheaper than A230 when the A230 first came out.
eurojams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2009, 8:43 AM   #17

eurojams-

I own both the A-200 and the a-230 DSLR cameras. Please keep in mind that the A-230 was created to appeal to, and ease the transition of P+S folks into a DSLR. Therefore, its design reflect that state goal.

If you are a fairly experienced photographer, clearly the A-200 has greater appeal to you, and much better work flow capability. Thing are found in the logical spots and that sort of thing. I but and sell cameras all the time. I will tell you that it is easier to sell the A-230 as a firsdt time DSLR camera, than it is the A-200 to P+S users.

Have a great day.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2009, 8:43 AM   #18

Yes, if I had a choice between a new A200 and a new A230, I'd pick the A200. It's bigger and I think it's easier to handle than the A230, it uses CF cards which I think are easier to handle than the SD cards the A230 uses, and it has Program Shift and AEL that the A230 lacks.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2009, 9:10 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
eurojams-

I own both the A-200 and the a-230 DSLR cameras. Please keep in mind that the A-230 was created to appeal to, and ease the transition of P+S folks into a DSLR. Therefore, its design reflect that state goal.

If you are a fairly experienced photographer, clearly the A-200 has greater appeal to you, and much better work flow capability. Thing are found in the logical spots and that sort of thing. I but and sell cameras all the time. I will tell you that it is easier to sell the A-230 as a firsdt time DSLR camera, than it is the A-200 to P+S users.

Have a great day.

Sarah Joyce

Hi Sarah,
I agree with you 100% I plan to keep my A200 until it dies wow, I wish I have came to this forum earlier, you guys response very fast
Old Dec 7, 2009, 9:46 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
Yes, if I had a choice between a new A200 and a new A230, I'd pick the A200. It's bigger and I think it's easier to handle than the A230, it uses CF cards which I think are easier to handle than the SD cards the A230 uses, and it has Program Shift and AEL that the A230 lacks.
Thanks TCav, it's good to hear someone else would pick same thing that I picked, you guys response very fast, I love this forum already, thanks again TCav.