Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 5, 2009, 5:38 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
Chengbin-

Many thanks for the excellent feedback. The Canon SX-120 is a really nice point and shoot camera, with 10X optical zoom, and even the ability to use numerically higher ISO settings up to ISO 800 without any problems.

I own a Canon SX-120 myself, and like it a lot. I have attached a photo sample from the SX-120.

Sarah Joyce
Do you mind uploading the original picture?

Thanks.
chengbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2009, 7:47 PM   #12

Chegbin-

I cannot upload the original photo as there is a size restriction on the Forum that uploads cannot exceed 240,000 pixels. It is there to save bandwidth.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2009, 9:13 PM   #13

How about to a site like tinypic?
Old Dec 5, 2009, 9:45 PM   #14

chengbin-

I honestly feel that the photo sample I provided was sufficient to show the photo characteristics of the Canon SX-120. What do you really have in mind. Where are we going with this photo? Just wondering. I need a better explanation.Perhaps I should cease to post photo samples.

Sarah Joyce
Old Dec 5, 2009, 9:54 PM   #15

I'm not trying to be rude, but I say it as the truth. The small image sample you've uploaded is almost useless.

The only thing that can be showed on that sample is the color accuracy of the camera. And even that it is approximate due to resolution. In fact, you can't even accurately judge that due to the use of JPEG compression.

The original photo will tell much more, such as detail, noise level, and range (the dark part of the trees on the left for example).

I'm sorry for being demanding.

Last edited by chengbin; Dec 5, 2009 at 9:57 PM.
Old Dec 6, 2009, 12:07 AM   #16

chengbin... the Olympus SP590UZ is not a DSLR... it's a megazoom point and shoot. Some people like the SP570UZ even more despite it's slightly shorter zoom range, assuming you can find a leftover or slightly used example. Just an FYI. The Olympus E-410 that I referred to earlier is a DSLR which, of course, you don't want.
Biro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2009, 5:14 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
chengbin-

I honestly feel that the photo sample I provided was sufficient to show the photo characteristics of the Canon SX-120. What do you really have in mind. Where are we going with this photo? Just wondering. I need a better explanation.Perhaps I should cease to post photo samples.

Sarah Joyce
I thought you went out of your way to help the thread starter, the image quality was apparent to me.

In addition to anyone being able to GOOGLE camera reviews and look at the image sampling provided you took the time to answer his question and show a picture from the camera in question.

At the $300 or less price point that canon is a good choice as is the Panasonic TZ7, imo.

Thanks for being a helpful forum member, I am appreciative of your efforts. Keep being Sarah!

And have a great holiday season with you family.

~Bill
NewSD780IS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2009, 5:58 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biro View Post
chengbin... the Olympus SP590UZ is not a DSLR... it's a megazoom point and shoot. Some people like the SP570UZ even more despite it's slightly shorter zoom range, assuming you can find a leftover or slightly used example. Just an FYI. The Olympus E-410 that I referred to earlier is a DSLR which, of course, you don't want.
Which is PRECISELY what the OP requested. Then, this thread went in a whole new direction and tone with all sorts of OTHER requirements. Steve does excellent reviews and anyone can simply go to the top of the page and click reviews to find them. Sarah Joyce adds to them as a FAVOR. There are PLENTY of other sites that provide reviews as well but the OP chooses to have other people do his/her legwork.

Not being rude. Just callin' 'em as I see 'em.
My Gallery

--
Hebrews 13:3
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2009, 7:55 AM   #19

I commend Sarah's effort to help me, and I greatly appreciate it.

I don't want to turn this thread into an argument. I'm just saying, if you're going to do something, do it well (as long it doesn't take an absurd amount of time). Most people probably learned this the hard way in school.

Maybe its because I come from Doom9, where proof is required to be useful. I really don't see how a little sub VGA sample can show a camera's capabilities. I'm pretty sure I can use my 8 year old 3.2mp camera, take the same picture, and look like the SX120 after resizing to less than VGA. I believe I've explained why in the previous post.

Uploading to a photo sharing site will take at most 20 seconds more (typing the URL and copy and paste the link). That's why I asked for a full sample.

Now if Sarah still does not want to upload the image. That's completely fine. I merely answered her question with complete, valid reasons to why I'd like the original image. I don't know why I'm getting comments like I was the bad person when I just stated the facts. If anyone is rude, it is someone here who accused me of asking for "all sorts of OTHER requirements" (when there is only 1) and asking to be spoon fed (so a camera recommendation on a "what camera should I buy" section of the forum is spoon feeding, thanks for letting me know).

BTW, Steve's review style is really weird. Every single word written on the first page of the review gives the impression of a piece of news (i.e a product just came out). I've never seen a multi page review without a next button, which further augments my thought of a news article. When gijoth told me that there is a review on Steve's website, I had to look hard to find indication of a review, then I finally see the sidebars on the left, outside of the article, which is usually meant for the site menu instead of a review.

Last edited by chengbin; Dec 6, 2009 at 8:03 AM.
Old Dec 6, 2009, 10:56 AM   #20

chengbin-

I really do not think that there is any real argument in this thread. So, please, Chengbin, you do not have to get the hair up on your back and be so defensive. At the outset, this is a request that has been rarely seen on this Forum.

If there is a unique feature to this Forum, it is the friendliness found here. In that spirit, have uploaded, not one, but two Canon SX-120 images. Initially , not being used to www.tinypic.com, I got confused and uploaded the reduced size version of the Fall in New York photo initially. However, I soon realized my error and got two full size images uploaded to www.tinypic.com successfully. They have a tag that reads "Chengbin Request."

So we hope you are enjoying a great weekend and that you do indeed realize that, while we might ask a few questions, we have "gone the extra mile" and co-operated in every way with your requests.

Sarah Joyce

Last edited by mtclimber; Dec 6, 2009 at 10:58 AM.