Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 6, 2009, 12:27 PM   #1

Default Need replacement for canon S2IS

I purchased a Canon S2IS in 2006 and the dreaded shutter issue showed itself about a year ago. I didnt want to spend $140 to fix it just to have it happen again, and with a kid on the way I recently bought a Lumix DMC-TZ4. The smaller size is nice, but its just not cutting it.
After having the S2IS zoom I cant go back to anything less. The Panasonic is ok but it doesnt come close to the Canon as far as picture quality (especially in low light/indoors), and the video feature isnt that great.
I am looking for something comparible to the Canon S2IS and would even consider a used camera. Must haves are the large zoom, great video with being able to zoom while recording, and picture quality indoor and outdoor. I dont need anything larger in regards to pixels as I dont print large pictures, or do much cropping.
I absolutely love the Canon, but would rather not dump money into a lemon. I did the shutter quick fix and it works, but only for a short time, then it starts to stick again.
Anyone know of a camera comparible to the S2IS? Or has anyone repaired the shutter and how long did it last?

Last edited by zuup_2000; Dec 6, 2009 at 12:47 PM.
zuup_2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 6, 2009, 12:56 PM   #2

Zuup-

Welcome to the Forum- We're pleased that you dropped by.

Having owned Canon S-2, S-3, and S-5 cameras, I can relate to your situation. Are you aware of the fact that Canon has a Loyalty Program? Here is how it works, if you are a longtime Canon owner, Canon will offer you a replacement camera (it is usually a Canon refurbished camera) at a very reduced price, if your current camera is no longer repairable. It might be worth your time to give them a telephone call at 866-443-8002 and have a chat. They would most probably be offering you a SX-10 or SX-20 camera as a replacement for your no defunct Canon S-2.

Have a great day.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2009, 1:05 PM   #3
Super Moderator

i second that suggestion. i recently made use of this program when the shutter button went out on my 20d, got a great price on a 50d to replace it. everything went smooth, would suggest to anyone with a broken canon camera.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2009, 1:24 PM   #4

Thanks for the info, Ill have to give them a call. Do they require original receipts or documents from when it was purchased?

Do you know if the SX-10 or SX-20 have the option to zoom while recording a video. The S2 videos were good enough that I didnt bother toting my video camera around anymore, but I noticed that alot of the cameras didnt have the option to zoom once recording started. Thats what steered me toward the Lumix.

Anyway, thanks again.
zuup_2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2009, 1:25 PM   #5
Super Moderator

u do not need the receipts or documentation. i only had to send in the body only minus any accessories/batteries, i think they only asked me the serial # on the phone, that was all that was required.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote