Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 7, 2009, 1:20 PM   #1

Default Need your valuable help for Camera Selection

We are very much disappointed due to the blurb image of our last DSC T100 camera. We are very much frustrated with that camera and looking for a new one.

I am not an expert photographer. I am just looking for a good camera under $250 to have great snaps with all lighting condition.

I did some research on all of the fourms and steve's choice and concluded on following cameras. Please let me know which one is good for me.

I generally capture the great moments of my daughter which is 2 year old so she know how to ready when we are taking snaps.

The most important for me is the image stabilization. I got very much frustated with the blurness of image with DSC T100 and really want that with any of my new camera.

I am not an expert of Camera but I just want it to capure the beautiful moments with my daughter.

Canon A1100
Canon SD1200
Sony DSC H20
Canon SX120

If you recommend any other camera please write that also.
ravipg2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 7, 2009, 1:24 PM   #2
Super Moderator

The Canon SX120 and the Sony H20 would be good choices and my pick of those you mentioned.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2009, 1:34 PM   #3

Thank you very much. Just curious to refined my selection. Which one will be better in terms of image quality. I had a bad experience with DSC T100 and just hesitating to go for sony again

I was just reading the reviews of these cameras and found that SX120 has a long shutter lag.
http://www.cameras.co.uk/html/shutte...omparisons.cfm

I don't know much about this difference and I believe I will not observe if the difference will be in milliseconds. Is this true?

How would you rate the SX120 and H20 in terms of Image quality?

I was reading this forum and found about the Panasonic ZS3. How is this camera? I understand that people use it for HD video and for super zoom. I am not much concerned about this. A 5x zoom will be quite good for me. Do I also need to consider Panasonic ZS3 if I only care for 5x zoom?
Old Dec 7, 2009, 1:48 PM   #4
Super Moderator

The H20 offers a little quicker shot to shot times, and the flash is a bit more powerful. Image quality is not much different between the 2 models.

If you do not need a full 20x zoom, you may look into Panasonics new ZR1 with an 8x zoom, this looks to be a very nice little camera with full HD video, and great image quality, and a new processor that makes it quite responsive, much more responsive than either the h20 or sx120, and even panny's own zs1.
Old Dec 7, 2009, 1:58 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravipg2004 View Post
The most important for me is the image stabilization. I got very much frustated with the blurness of image with DSC T100 and really want that with any of my new camera.
You've gotten some good advice. But, this statement concerned me. Blurriness of subject can result from 2 things:
Camera shake (i.e. not being able to hold camera steady)
Subject motion and not fast enough shutter speed or appropriate use of flash.

Now, IS will help with blur caused by camera shake but it won't do anything for the second issue - where your subject iis moving and you were either not using flash (and shutter speed was too slow to 'freeze' the subjects motion) or there was a problem with how the flash was used.

Are you positive the issue you were running into was camera shake? The easiest way to tell is whether everything in the image was blurred or whether static objects (trees, tables, etc) are sharp but your subject is blurred.

Just wanted to be sure.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2009, 3:12 PM   #6

Hards80,
Thanks for your reply and sorry for asking so many questions.

It seems that I am adding one for camera in my selection list (confusing more ). I saw the review of Panasonic ZS3 on Amazon and it's really very excellent review they have.

How would you rate these three cameras in terms of image quality.
just curious to know which one would you prefer to buy.

It's ok to me if the camera will not come in my pocket and also it's ok if video is not so good. These constraints are not much important to me.

I only want the excellent image quality (with good image stabilization) of my daughter photo so that when I will print it it should be awesome.
Old Dec 7, 2009, 3:31 PM   #7

Hi, I have used:
Canon SD1200
Sony DSC H20
I can give you some of my opinions here:

SD1200 is a very camera, for the continous drive, Canon does have a better drive faster than Sony H20, I'm not sure, on http://www.dpreview.com/, said Sony H20 is faster than Canon Sd1200. Sony H20 is 1.8fps, and Canon SD1200 is 1.4 fps. But I think Canon is faster. I have returned the Canon SD1200 because I like the Sony Color pictures better. One other thing is Canon battery is last little longer than Sony as well.

While Sony H20 has better zoom 10X, I love this and the color pictures which I love it. 10 X zoom give you a DOF, so your pictures came out more like professional. You can go to a camera store check them both out for yourself, see which one you like better.

I have a 2.5 yrs kid as well, in April of 2009, I started out with Canon Sd790, then Canon SD 1200. I didn't like Canon color that much so I got a Sony W230 which I also like a lot. And at the end I got Sony H20. With Sony H"0 I got a lot of nice pictures of my kid. But last month I found a decent deal with Sony DSLR A200, so I got it. Still Sony H20 is very good camera for me.

I know how disappointed due to the blurb image, kids they keep moving so we can't take very good clear pictures of them.
eurojams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2009, 3:36 PM   #8

Thanks eurojams

But I looking to find the best among Canon SX120, Sony H20 and Panasonic ZS,

Hards80, please share your thoughts.
Old Dec 7, 2009, 3:56 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravipg2004 View Post
Thanks eurojams

But I looking to find the best among Canon SX120, Sony H20 and Panasonic ZS,

Hards80, please share your thoughts.
Here is a link to my sample pictures of my kid, you will see photos from Canon SD1200 and Sony H20, note that most of my pictures taken outdoor, not indoor:

http://picsofmykid.shutterfly.com/

hope this will help little more
eurojams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2009, 4:43 PM   #10
Super Moderator

The ZS3 is a great digicam, it probably has better image quality than the ZR1 i mentioned, it just is a bit bigger. It tops the H20 in image quality, but the sony has a better flash range. I prefer the build construction of the Panasonic, I have always thought that Panasonic has some of the best build quality in consumer digicams.

If you do not need the HD video, the Panasonic ZS1 offers very similar image quality compared to the ZS3 minus the video. The screen is also smaller and less resolution, so it still may be worth getting the ZS3 for that reason.