Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 7, 2009, 8:04 PM   #1

Default Another"what camera to buy" post(long post)

Hi.I want to spend up to $300.After doing some research I thought I was going to get the Sony H20 for my mom.(She takes indoor and outdoor birthday pics mostly.She uses a small auto focus film camera and an older Minolta 35mm)But after seeing it at Best Buy I was a lil dissapointed in the size.I thought it was bigger.The coolpix L100 they had there was more in size of her 35mm but from what I read its not a great camera.Any way I guess the size doesnt matter really.My question is whats a good camera choice for her?Id rather have a great picture than hd video on the camera.And probably a fully Auto camera.Other that the H20(great flash but lil worried about picture quality,and the little more narrow lens.Is the smaller lens anything to worry about?) and the Lumix dmc-zs3(which is probably number 1 since size really isnt an issue and it got great reviews) do you have any other suggestion?..Or of the sony or lumix what would be the better choice?Image quality,Shutter lag and performance is at the top of my list. a thanks

Last edited by marky38; Dec 7, 2009 at 8:29 PM.
marky38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 7, 2009, 8:55 PM   #2

markey-

Welcome to the Forum We're pleased you dropped by.

If most of the photos your Mom takes were outside, I would agree with you on the Panasonic ZS3. But the ZS3 is equipped with a very small and very weak built-in flash making its indoor image quality poor. The ZS3 works inside just fine with a Slave Flash, but thast is an additional $110.00.

Mom would be better off with the FZ-35. she would have a great super zoom camera, a good built-in flash, and HD video with stereo sound. An the camera is mall and light, no where near the size of the canon SX-10 or SX-20.

Have a great day.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2009, 10:39 PM   #3

Look into the panasonic lumix zr1. Good picture quality, HD video and you can utilize the zoom while recording. The price is right too!
DRDJDesi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2009, 10:45 PM   #4
Super Moderator

I think Sarah's suggested FZ35 is a good choice and closer to her 35mm in form and function, but it may be slightly out of budget unless you can get a good deal.

If HD video is not a concern, the ZS1 shares similar image quality as the ZS3 for 100$ less. Think either would be a good choice. Canon SX200IS might be another good choice.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2009, 5:42 AM   #5

Agree with Sarah on the FZ 35.....great all around camera.
Stan C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2009, 10:32 AM   #6

The lumix fz35 it is!...Seems like a great camera.Im wondering if it just hooks up to a usb port on a computer??..Thanks for the input guys!
marky38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2009, 10:54 AM   #7

Marky-

The Panasonic FZ-35 will hook up to Mom's Computer in 2 ways:

(1) Via a regular USB downloading cable

(2) Buy using an inexpensive chipor card reader

Have a great day.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote