Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 11, 2009, 11:53 AM   #31

I'm joining this string late... but has anyone suggested any one of the better Olympus E-series DSLRs (E-520, E-620, etc) with the 70-300mm Zuiko lens? The four-thirds sensor in the Olympus DSLRs isn't that much smaller than the APS-C sensors in most other DSLRs and the 300mm that lens offers at the long end is equivalent to 600mm on a full-frame camera. No converters, either.
Biro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2009, 12:24 PM   #32

No, the Olympus models didn't come up. Asside from the fact that the Olympus models don't autofocus well on moving subjects, the Olympus 70-300 isn't very good at the long end. And, unfortunately, there's nothing else that long for the Olympus except Sigma's 50-500 'Bigma' (~$1,000) and 300-800 (~$8,700.)

Though the third party catadioptric lenses are available for the Four/Thirds mount as well. And since they're manual focus lenses anyway, the relatively poor AF performance of the Olympus dSLRs won't matter.
TCav is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2009, 1:49 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
Alice Cooper!

Also when I was there, I got tickets to an Alice Cooper concert that was cancelled because they wouldn't let him bring his Boa Constrictor.
Kidding? Then again... someone may have to seperate the brown m&ms from the rest for him;-)

Alice was in line in front of me at the Foodland in Kihei. Wow was i sharp. I said, "Are you Alice Cooper?" He actually was slightly embarrassed and quite cordial. We talked about golf. He owns the rstarant at The Maui lani course 5 minutes from where I live. It's nice (except for the pot bunkers ala Saint Andrews) and they have a beautiful driving range

WetDream: "It's kinda rusty, how about $300?"
Mystery Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2009, 1:55 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biro View Post
I'm joining this string late... but has anyone suggested any one of the better Olympus E-series DSLRs (E-520, E-620, etc) with the 70-300mm Zuiko lens? The four-thirds sensor in the Olympus DSLRs isn't that much smaller than the APS-C sensors in most other DSLRs and the 300mm that lens offers at the long end is equivalent to 600mm on a full-frame camera. No converters, either.
Thanks Biro - Good info for my learning stage and consideration.

Kids....
Old Dec 11, 2009, 2:13 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystery Bob View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
Alice Cooper!

Also when I was there, I got tickets to an Alice Cooper concert that was cancelled because they wouldn't let him bring his Boa Constrictor.
Kidding? Then again... someone may have to seperate the brown m&ms from the rest for him;-)
No. Hawaii is very careful about the flora and fauna that come into the islands. There are no snakes in Hawaii, and they don't want any. Alice Cooper got off the airplane at Honolulu International with his Boa Constrictor and they stopped him at the gate. They said they would hold the snake for him while he performed, but he turned around and left.
Old Dec 11, 2009, 2:38 PM   #36

They have found some snakes and alligators here and it freaks them out. The brown tree snake devastated Guam's bird population. We have invasive frogs and fauna too.
Old Dec 11, 2009, 3:40 PM   #37

I guess there's only so much you can do. Someone once thought that Kudzu was a good idea.
Old Dec 11, 2009, 4:07 PM   #38

If that is that sticky vine, I see what you mean. That stuff is horrible.