Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 9, 2009, 5:46 PM   #11

Hi,

I guess what I'm wondering is what the best recommendation would be for the "ultra compact" cameras. Sorry, I thought compact meant the same thing and didn't realize that I was more attracted to the ultra compact that I can just take anywhere easily. Any suggestions for a good one? Just something I can take pictures of friends and family, sunsets and travel.
manainos21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2009, 6:58 PM   #12

Ultra compact- Canon SD780 IS

Compact: Panasonic Lumix TZ7 > Sony H20

I avoid all Sony products, as their products are overpriced and their accesories are always proprietary. They are too greedy and their quality control has been substandard in Sony products I've bought in the past.

I've yet to see the Sony H20 get a better review then a Panasonic Lumix DSC TZ7 on the internet.

I'd take the advice of many reviews over a Sony H20 owner. But thats how I operate, I do a lot of research on anything before making a buy.

(i've yet to use photo shop or alter any pics I've taken with my sd780is. In my avatar, the lighting in my pc room is very spotty and it only covers a small portion of this VERY LARGE room).

Last edited by NewSD780IS; Dec 9, 2009 at 7:01 PM.
NewSD780IS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2009, 7:10 PM   #13

Bill-

I agree with about the Panasonic TZ-7 (the European Name) or the ZS3 (as it is known in the USA. It does just great outside, and it has a wonderful wide angle lens position.

However, when you attempt inside photos with this camera, it ia an absolute slug, producing poor image quality due to its very tiny and weak built-in flash unit.

In contrast, the Sony H-20 has the best automatic mode, the best built-in flash in its class, good HD video where you can zoom while filming, and is priced at a bargain price compared to the TZ-7/ZS3 camera.

Sarah Joyce

Last edited by mtclimber; Dec 9, 2009 at 9:07 PM.
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2009, 7:14 PM   #14

I've yet to see a review claim the TZ7 having a weak (substandard flash).

Sony's menu has improved, and made easier for new users. It is still using proprietary memory, and does it have HDMI out?

http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Pa.../verdict.shtml

http://www.trustedreviews.com/digita...mix-DMC-TZ7/p1

http://www.photographyblog.com/revie...ew/conclusion/

Panasonic has the better auto mode, the better build quality, HDMI out, stereo spkrs in addition to optical zoom while recording video, option to cut wind noise during video recording, NON PROPRIETARY memory capabilties. AVCH lite or JPEG recording modes, can set bit rate to preserve memory as well.

http://www.dphotojournal.com/panason...s-user-manual/

Last edited by NewSD780IS; Dec 9, 2009 at 7:32 PM.
Old Dec 9, 2009, 7:16 PM   #15

Thanks for your input. For the record, the Sony DSC-h20 has gotten amazing reviews, and I think sarah really knows what she's talking about. And I tried the Canon 780, but it's toooo small. Plus the photos weren't all that great. Thanks for your suggestions!
Old Dec 9, 2009, 7:18 PM   #16

Sarah,
Any input on the compact digitals?
thanks
Old Dec 9, 2009, 7:25 PM   #17

http://www.photographyblog.com/revie...ew/conclusion/

A comparison to the Panny is discussed within.
Old Dec 9, 2009, 7:28 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by manainos21 View Post
Thanks for your input. For the record, the Sony DSC-h20 has gotten amazing reviews, and I think sarah really knows what she's talking about. And I tried the Canon 780, but it's toooo small. Plus the photos weren't all that great. Thanks for your suggestions!
A sub compact "too small?"

Are these not your very own words---> "I guess what I'm wondering is what the best recommendation would be for the "ultra compact" cameras. Sorry, I thought compact meant the same thing and didn't realize that I was more attracted to the ultra compact that I can just take anywhere easily. Any suggestions for a good one? Just something I can take pictures of friends and family, sunsets and travel."
Old Dec 9, 2009, 7:30 PM   #19

What I meant by that is that, for example, the 780 is smaller than the 1200. But the 1200 is a good size, anything smaller just feels like it's going to break.
Old Dec 9, 2009, 7:38 PM   #20

Whoa.