Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 9, 2009, 8:11 PM   #21

manainos-

The Canon SD-1200 sound like it is the best camera for you. Be aware that the built-in flash unit on the SD-1200 is small and rather weak.

Have a great day.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2009, 12:07 AM   #22
Super Moderator

Hmm... not quite sure what that was all about.

SD780-
pretty sure everyone was trying to help, and the forums were working as intended. just because you give a suggestion, does not mean it is necessarily the one that has to be taken.

Manainos-
sorry that had to happen in your thread. otherwise, i hope your questions were answered and we were able to help, let us know if you need more. and personally i don't think you could go wrong with the h20 or the sd-1200. have a good day.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2009, 1:02 AM   #23

Hi,

Thanks for your responses. I've done a bit more research and wonder if any of you have anything to say about these cameras:
Canon SD960
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS1 (I know this doesn't have HD like the ZS3, but that doesn't matter too much to me)

But basically, I've narrowed it down to:
Canon SD1200
Canon SD960
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS1
Sony Cybershot DSC-H20

The sony one sounds amazing, but is bigger than what I'm looking for. So I'm looking for the next best thing, but one that can fit in my coat pocket comfortably (the Canon SX 120 still looks too big).

As always, your input is much appreciated!
manainos21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2009, 12:17 PM   #24

I should also mention that I don't need a megazoom camera. Just something small and compact with great picture quality, some cool scene selections (this is what I like about the panasonic), movie capability (not necessarily HD), and not necessarily a lot of manual capabilities (i usually leave it on auto). Will mainly be used for picks with family, friends, and travel. Thanks!
Old Dec 10, 2009, 1:14 PM   #25
Super Moderator

Since you don't need the megazoom. You may consider another Panasonic, the ZR1, uses a similar 12.1mp sensor as the ZS3, but in a smaller lighter, pocketsized package. The zoom range is smaller, but still a good 8x. It offers HD video and zoom during video. Image quality should be similar to the ZS1/ZS3, but just in a smaller range.
Old Dec 10, 2009, 1:16 PM   #26

would you recommend that over a canon (like the sd1200 or 960)? or even a sony (w220 or 230)? thanks!
Old Dec 10, 2009, 1:34 PM   #27
Super Moderator

the sony's i would not recommend as highly, the image quality seems a bit below par.

the 2 canon's you mentioned are strong cameras, and are attractively sized and take good photos.

the panasonic i recommended since you seem to like the brand from previous statements. and for me it is just a more interesting camera than the 2 canon's. i prefer the more utilitarian, but still stylish body design. and the 8x zoom offers more flexibility for composing your shots. its also a quick performer, with fast startup and shot-shot times due to having panasonics newest processor.

really don't think you could go wrong though, with the panasonic, or the canons.
Old Dec 10, 2009, 1:39 PM   #28

Thanks for your comments. Yeah, i've actually never used a panasonic which is why I was asking so many questions about them. I guess I just need to go feel all the cameras out. I appreciate your help!
Old Dec 10, 2009, 6:40 PM   #29

manainos-

All of the Panasonic camera discussed thus far, do very well outdoors, but a measurably hampered by the very small and very weak built-in flash units on the ZR1, ZS1, and ZS3. How do I know? I own both the ZS1 and ZS3 cameras and have to use a slave flash when taking photos indoors with flash to get good image quality.

The Canon SD-1200, 960, 780 as well as the Sony W-220 and W-230 all suffer from have very small, and somewhat under powered built-in flash units. The Canon and Sony cameras do not suffer as badly as the Panasonic cameras from the lack of flask power and range, but those flashes on the Canon SD's and the Sony W series still out put less light than you will get from the built-in flash units found on the Panasonic FZ-28, FZ-35, the Canon SX-120, and the Sony H-20.

If you compensate for the much reduced flash output power of the Panasonic ZR1, ZS1, and ZS3 (the worst of the group) and the Canon SD-780, 960, and 1200, physicall reducing the Flash Range, the distance from camera to subject measured in feet then you will be OK. For example, the true effective Flash Range of the ZS1 and ZS3 is only 6 to 7 feet. In contrast, a normal Flash Range for the Canon SX-120 is 12 to 16 feet. The Flash Range for the H-20 is up to 20 feet. Those flash ranges are obtained when using Auto ISO.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2009, 7:56 PM   #30

Default Please Help! Can't decide!

Sarah,

I read in one of your replies that you own both a ZS1 and ZS3. I will be buying one of these in the near future because of the wide angle, but can't decide because various websites say good and average things about both. In your personal experience, which one takes better photos? I am not interested in interior shots, so the weak flash is not an issue. I am also not interested in video, so the HD video on the ZS3 is not an issue.

Thanks much,

Bob
APBob is offline   Reply With Quote