Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 15, 2009, 10:44 PM   #31

bob-

Well not needing video, save some $$ and go for the Panasonic ZS-1.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2009, 9:45 AM   #32

Default Please help

Thanks for the quick reply. Sorry for my late response, but I have had much trouble logging it to the site after the first time. I finally created a second email account and registration. APBob is now APBob2.

The difference in price does not out-way any difference in photo quality. If the ZS3 delivered even slightly better pictures, I would go with that. I have looked at comparative photos on the camera review websites that make that possible, like Steve's Digicam. It looks to me like the ones from the ZS3 are a little better. Since you own both, I wanted to find out if your experience showed the same.

Also, some websites say the LCD on both cameras are good in bright light, and some others say they are hard to see in bright light. This will be my first digital without a viewfinder (old habits die hard). Please tell me your experiences with these two cameras for this.

Thanks again.
APBob2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2009, 11:56 AM   #33

Bob-

We're glad to see you back. The difference in image quality between the ZS-1 and ZS-3 is zero. It is exactly the same. As I mentioned previously, the outdoor image quality and the advantage of the 25mm wide angle really is the advatage of the ZS-series camera. It is NOT DSLR image quality, it is image quality that one would expect from a digicam with good image quality.

I have noticed in my experience with the camera that the angle of the light as it hit the LCD screen while you are framing your photo does make a difference in how ell you can see the LCD screen clearly. However, thjat is the bane of doing without an optical view finder.

I still shoot with my Canon A-620 which has an OVF to make myself feel better at times.

Sarah Joyce
Old Dec 20, 2009, 10:58 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
Bill-

I agree with about the Panasonic TZ-7 (the European Name) or the ZS3 (as it is known in the USA. It does just great outside, and it has a wonderful wide angle lens position.

However, when you attempt inside photos with this camera, it ia an absolute slug, producing poor image quality due to its very tiny and weak built-in flash unit.

In contrast, the Sony H-20 has the best automatic mode, the best built-in flash in its class, good HD video where you can zoom while filming, and is priced at a bargain price compared to the TZ-7/ZS3 camera.

Sarah Joyce
This may be what I need, for best inside photos. My Panasonic Lumix just doesn't do well for me. Is 10MP enough vs a 12MP though?
KellyMarie65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2009, 11:22 AM   #35

Hi there, Kelly-Marie-

Welcome to the Forum. We're glad you dropped by.

It is not a matter of megapixels at all. The problem with the Panasonic ZS-1, ZS-3, and ZR-1 cameras is that they have a very small built-in flash unit that is also very weak. Therefore, the flash output is too low for good flash photos indoors.

In contrast, the Sony H-20 has the best built-in flash unit in the class. It takes very good indoor photos with flash, and by using Auto ISO the flash range (the distance from camera to subject) can be extended out to 23 feet.

Have a great day and a Merry Christmas.

Sarah Joyce
Old Dec 20, 2009, 12:07 PM   #36

Will I lose alot going to the 10x zoom vs say Kodak z1012's longer zoom? Or is the Sony better for an amateur?
Old Dec 20, 2009, 12:32 PM   #37

Kelly-Marie-

It really amounts to how important HD video is to you. You see the Sony H-20 has HD video and the Kodak Z-1012 does not.

However, the Kodak Z-1012 does have an added advantage. It has an EVF, while the H-20 only has the LCD screen to use when framing your photos. I think that the Kodak Z-1012 is a very capable camera. I own one. The Z-1012 could probably be purchased for less $$ than the H-20.

Sarah Joyce
Old Dec 20, 2009, 12:44 PM   #38

Quote:
Kelly-Marie-

It really amounts to how important HD video is to you. You see the Sony H-20 has HD video and the Kodak Z-1012 does not.

However, the Kodak Z-1012 does have an added advantage. It has an EVF, while the H-20 only has the LCD screen to use when framing your photos. I think that the Kodak Z-1012 is a very capable camera. I own one. The Z-1012 could probably be purchased for less $$ than the H-20.

Sarah Joyce
No, we are not looking for any video, just pictures. My husband says we had awesome pictures with the Sony cybershot F717 years ago too and all the reviews I read seem to say how user friendly the sony is for a beginner.
Old Dec 21, 2009, 12:33 AM   #39

Quote:
Kelly-Marie-

Sarah Joyce
Thank you so much for your time. We went with the Sony H-20. Hubby remembers our last Sony Cybershot as being a very good camera for what we need it for. I guess we'll have to play around with the Panasonic if we ever figure it out but for Christmas pics, well at least I'll get some nice ones this year. thanks again