Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 9, 2009, 12:46 AM   #1

Default First DSLR k-x or D5000

I am looking to buy my first DSLR. All previous cams have been point and shoot. The camera will be predominately used to take pictures of my children and the normal type snapshots that people with point and shoots take, but I would like to start learning about photography and taking other pics in the future. I am looking at the following packages:

Nikon D5000 with 18-55mm and 55-200mm lenses for $830
Pentax K-x with 18-55mm and 50-200mm lenses for $650
Pentax K-x with 18-55mm and 55-300mm lenses for $730

Which package would you buy, and why?

Thanks for the help.
jackal24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 9, 2009, 3:43 AM   #2

I recently encouraged a friend to buy the K-x. And yesterday, after a brief hands on test I was amazed at how usable the iso 6400 looked!
Well, taking the in body SR(shake reduction), auto focus motor, as well as the slightly better high iso performance into account (try the comparometer @ Imaging Resources), I'd go with the K-x body and a 17-70 for a walk around lens -either the Sigma (preferably) or Pentax brand - ; ) The 55-300 is also very decent lens I'd include in my order, judging from the shots I've seen so far.
Anyway, if I were to buy the D5000 I'd buy it with the 16-85 vr and wouldn't look back!
bahadir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2009, 5:16 AM   #3

The Pentax K-x is superior to the Nikon D5000 for a number of reasons, many of which bahadir already mentioned.

How did you narrow down your selection to these choices?
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2009, 12:13 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
How did you narrow down your selection to these choices?
Just via online reviews I have read. As I said, I am new to the DSLR scene.
jackal24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2009, 7:41 AM   #5

The k-x is an easier transition from p&s way more art filters so if you do not know exactly how to set up a photo for an effect, just pick the right one, and there you go. It is a very nice camera. My brother is in the same shoe as you, new to dslr. And I went to the shops with him, and he likes the features it offers over the d5000. And the 100 dollars difference is nice.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2009, 8:11 AM   #6

jackal-

Both the D-5000 and the pentax Kx are very good cameras. It would be hard to go wrong with either one. Please keep in mind that the D-5000 will be limited to Nikon's and third party lens that have the focus drive built within the lens itself. In the Nikon line these lenses are labeled as AF-S lenses. So the D-5000 is not able to us the full line of Nikon lenses. However, IMO the articulating LCD screen is a big plus, as is the high ISO capability.

I ordered, used and then returned a Pentax Kx DSLR. My biggest issue was that while the Kx does indeed have multi point focus abilities, it does not show the focus action in the optical viewfinder with an appropiate LED blink, where the Kx is actually focusing. That is a big issue with me. I had no other issue with the Kx, but I returned the camera for a refund and purchased the Nikon D-90 as my choice over both the Nikon D-5000 and the Pentax Kx.

Regarding telephoto lenses. The Nikon 55-200mmVR lens is a well priced and highly reviewed lens. I have used it for 18 months on my Nikon D-40 and like the lens a lot. Although the Nikon 70-300mmVR lens is not offered in the D-5000 packages, it is an excellent lens for tele-macro applications, and for wildlife. I have one and really enjoy it.

In the Pentax line the Pentax 50-200mm lens is a very good consumer level lens. I have used that lens since my first Pentax DSLR, the 1stDS, it is not a really fast lens, but it does perform very well. The Pentax 55-300mm lens is another really good lens that should not be overlooked if you like tele-macro and wildlife photography.

Now if you are into long zoom, the Pentax 55-300mm lens is excellent, it is very sharp throughout its entire zoom length, but it is a physically larger lens. I how this information is helpful.

Have a great day and a Merry Christmas.

Sarah Joyce

Last edited by mtclimber; Dec 16, 2009 at 6:45 AM.
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2009, 12:15 AM   #7

I really like my Pentax K20. Nothing in it's price range comes close. That's what happens when a camera maker doesn't spend most of its money on advertising.

So what do I do with my old Nikon lenses? Well, I still have the *stDS, so...

Works fine. Have to do everything manually, of course.
The Barbarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2010, 1:21 AM   #8

I recently bought the Nikon D5000 for 640 dollars and am having second thoughts. I went to the store thinking I was going to leave with the Pentax K-X but left with the Nikon after talking to the salesman who convinced me I'd get more 'bang for my buck'.

I was leaning more towards the Pentax because of its small size, great reviews and durability. (Price was not the biggest deciding factor because it was only $40 less than the Nikon).

The salesman made a note that Nikon offered a larger variety of lenses, however, I am only an amateur dslr photographer and to be completely honest, I don't think I'll be upgrading lenses in the future. (1 or 2 more lenses max.) Also I've read that some Nikon lenses aren't always compatible with the Nikon D5000 and all pentax lenses work with the kx?

Lastly, both cameras do offer the video feature which I do like, though I've read and watched comparison videos and I am more impressed with the Pentax.

Bottom line- should I listen to my gut and get the Pentax? I know the Nikon is a great camera, but for the purposes I'll be using my dslr for I am afraid I 'overpurchased'.

Any insight or opinions would be greatly appreciated!
cm9210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2010, 1:23 AM   #9

If you felt you prefer the pentax, I would get the pentax instead. I responded to your thread also